Speculation: Offseason Roster Building Thread - Trades, Signings, Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Since we've touched on this in a few GDTs as well as news/notes and around the league threads, I figured it would be good to have a place to have these discussions. Here's the contract status for next year prior to the expansion draft.

Current Cap outlook: $41.4M vs. $73M projected Cap.

Player | Position | Cap
Staal|C|$6M
Rask|C|$4M
Skinner|LW|$5.75M
Nordstrom|LW|$1.275M
Aho|LW/RW/C|$925K
Lindholm|RW/C|$2.7M
Stempniak|RW|$2.5M
Teravainen|LW/RW/C| RFA
McGinn|LW| RFA
PDG|LW| RFA
Ryan|C| UFA
McClement|C| UFA
Bickell|LW| UFA
| |
Faulk|RD|$4.83M
Pesce|RD|$809K
Murphy|RD|$788K
Hanifin|LD|$925K
Slavin|LD|$743K
Dahlbeck|LD| RFA
Tennyson|RD| UFA
| |
Ward|G|$3.3M
Lack|G|$2.75M
| |
Semin|buyout|$2.3M
Wizniewski|buyout|$1M

Prospects:
Roy|C|$705K
Bishop|C|$695K
Wallmark|C|$683K
Brown|C| UFA
Miller|C| UFA
Brickley|C| UFA
Saarela|C/LW|$776K
Kuokkanen|C/LW|$843K
Nestrasil|C/RW/LW| RFA
Gauthier|RW|$925K
Kristo|RW| UFA
Smallman|RW|$742K
Zykov|LW|$705K
Karlsson|LW| RFA
Woods|LW| UFA
Tolchinsky|LW|$617K
Foegele|LW|$747K
| |
Bean|LD|$925K
Fleury|LD|$863K
McKeown|RD|$745K
Wesley|RD|$695K
Carrick|LD| RFA
Robertson|D| UFA
Ganly|D|$640K
Samuelsson|D| UFA
Chelios|D| RFA
| |
Nedeljkovic|G|$812K
Booth|G|$742K
Altshuller|G| RFA
Leighton|G| UFA

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Aho – X – X
X – Staal – Lindholm
Skinner – Rask – Stempniak
Nordstrom – X – X
X

Slavin – Pesce
Hanifin – Faulk
X – Murphy
X

Ward
Lack

Semin (Buyout)
Wisniewski (Buyout)

Based on the numbers from CapFriendly (Link), the Canes have $41.993 mil in real salary payroll commitments for next season. For reference, Carolina entered this season with a payroll of ~$55 mil. With a static budget, the Canes would have a little over $13 mil available as it stands at this moment.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
sign zero outside free agents, fill all vacant lineup spots with rookies and see what happens.

Aho-Staal-Lindy
Skinner-Rask-Gauthier
Saarela-Roy-Teravainen
Zykov-Wallmark-Nordstrom
Ryan/McGinn

Hanifin-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-McKeown
Tennyson

oh yeah, but sign a FA goalie, for reals

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
sign zero outside free agents, fill all vacant lineup spots with rookies and see what happens.

Aho-Staal-Lindy
Skinner-Rask-Gauthier
Saarela-Roy-Teravainen
Zykov-Wallmark-Nordstrom
Ryan/McGinn

Hanifin-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-McKeown
Tennyson

1) 7 prospects make the jump in 1 off-season is pretty unrealistic.
2) I'm pretty sure that line-up doesn't come close to the cap minimum.
3) We would be by far the lowest paid, youngest team in the NHL with only 1 starter older than 25 (Staal)

Sound like a recipe for worst record in the NHL.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
A couple random thoughts...

– I think the Canes avoid going the long-term second contract route with TT. The team needs more time to figure if he’s going to be the streaky 2nd/3rd line depth scorer he’s been in 16-17 or the more consistent Top 6 forward he has the potential to be. Lindholm’s bridge would serve as an appropriate comparable for the short-term route ($5.4 mil over 2 years.)

– As far as the 40/70 defenseman goes, I prefer Dahlbeck to Tennyson. I’d like to see GMRF pursue a legit, NHL caliber 5-6 to play opposite a Fleury or Carrick on the bottom pair next season. Let Dahlbeck be the 7, filling in when necessary.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
We need a goal tender. A top 6 forward would be very nice as well, but if the goal tending doesn't improve, I think we're sitting outside the playoffs again next season.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

Aho-Staal-Lindy
Skinner-Rask-Gauthier
Saarela-Roy-Teravainen
Zykov-Wallmark-Nordstrom
Ryan/McGinn

Hanifin-Faulk
Slavin-Pesce
Fleury-McKeown
Tennyson

I want what he's having

But really that is a LOT of money to play with. But I guess next year and the following year will be when the bulk of our talent needs another contract so we can't go crazy

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
My somewhat reasonable wish list:

Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Skinner-Rask-Jagr
PDG-Gagner-TT
Nordstrom-Winnick-Stalberg
Ryan

Slavin-Pesce
Hanifin-Faulk
Fleury-Seidenberg
Dahlbeck

Darling
Ward

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Hanifin + 1st for MacK

Keep TT, McG, PDG, Dahlbeck

Let Stempiak be exposed.

Aho - MacK - Lindy
Skin - Rask - TT
McG - Jordan - PDG
Nordy - Roy - Gauthier

Slavin - Pesce
Fluery - Faulk
Dahlbeck - McKeown
Murphy

Lack
????

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Zero research:

Bring back estaalo

trade a bag of potato chips for fleury

turbo bridge deal

pdg 7 years at 1.78 million per season

acquire one of kane, landeskog, hagelin, or any other winger

create main board thread mocking whichever team gives derek ryan a 1 way deal

go to team trivia every Thursday and crush the fighting mongooses

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Hanifin + 1st for MacK

Let Stempiak be exposed.

Aho - MacK - Lindy
Skin - Rask - TT
McG - Jordan - PDG
Nordy - Roy - Gauthier

Slavin - Pesce
Fluery - Faulk
Dahlbeck - McKeown
Murphy

Lack
????

Like where your heads at. I would love to get McKinnon from the Avs.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
3) We would be by far the lowest paid, youngest team in the NHL with only 1 starter older than 25 (Staal)

I didn't say it was realistic. But it would be interesting, in a sink-or-swim, lets see what we really got kinda way.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Not that I know, but I totally agree BBA. I cannot imagine a Bill Peters' coached team with more than two or three 1st year NHL'ers, tops. I think Ron Francis's mentality of "over-ripening" plays into it too. Part of the reason Aho seems like an exception to this rule is that he got that extra season, playing professionally, with men in Finland. To me, that's one of the reason's that Saarela may break out of this mold too.

My personal opinion is that the two or three odds on favorites to make the jump are Fleury, Zykov, and Wallmark (and probably only one of those two).

A couple random thoughts...

– I think the Canes avoid going the long-term second contract route with TT. The team needs more time to figure if he’s going to be the streaky 2nd/3rd line depth scorer he’s been in 16-17 or the more consistent Top 6 forward he has the potential to be. Lindholm’s bridge would serve as an appropriate comparable for the short-term route ($5.4 mil over 2 years.)

– As far as the 40/70 defenseman goes, I prefer Dahlbeck to Tennyson. I’d like to see GMRF pursue a legit, NHL caliber 5-6 to play opposite a Fleury or Carrick on the bottom pair next season. Let Dahlbeck be the 7, filling in when necessary.

From a production perspective TT is about right where I thought he'd be. I also think he has more to give. That said, I cannot imagine a bridge deal (likely 2 years) that would exceed Lindy's, even though at one time I thought that would be the case.

We need a goal tender. A top 6 forward would be very nice as well, but if the goal tending doesn't improve, I think we're sitting outside the playoffs again next season.

Hopefully we'll get both.

Since returning to his natural side, Dahlbeck has been better. There was a stretch earlier in the year when Tennyson was a pretty serviceable #6, but that seems to have disappeared.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
There's probably a slight cap effect from Aho beyond the $925k from his Schedule A bonuses. This season he got at least $212,500 for the 20+ goals and I haven't look if there might be any from ToI or other stuff.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hanifin + 1st for MacK

Let Stempiak be exposed.

Aho - MacK - Lindy
Skin - Rask - TT
McG - Jordan - PDG
Nordy - Roy - Gauthier

Slavin - Pesce
Fluery - Faulk
Dahlbeck - McKeown
Murphy

Lack
????

I think it would be better to leave these guys in the AHL getting 15-20 min / night, PP time, etc..(I think I read Gauthier can go to the AHL next year) than giving them 8 minutes a night on the 4th line. I also think that realistically, MacK won't be moved (regardless of that news article) and in the off chance he is, it will cost more.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There's probably a slight cap effect from Aho beyond the $925k from his Schedule A bonuses. This season he got at least $212,500 for the 20+ goals and I haven't look if there might be any from ToI or other stuff.

Yeah, I saw that but to make it easy just did a cut and paste into the table and didn't go beyond that since that amount has such a negligible impact overall.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I think it would be better to leave these guys in the AHL getting 15-20 min / night, PP time, etc..(I think I read Gauthier can go to the AHL next year) than giving them 8 minutes a night on the 4th line. I also think that realistically, MacK won't be moved (regardless of that news article) and in the off chance he is, it will cost more.

Ideally one of them will make the team and we can get a vet to help.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ideally one of them will make the team and we can get a vet to help.

IMO, getting 4th line minutes at this stage of their development is not ideal no matter who they are with. If they make the top 9 and are getting top 9 getting meaningful minutes, that's fine. If not, have them in the AHL getting meaningful minutes and continuing their development.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
IMO, getting 4th line minutes at this stage of their development is not ideal no matter who they are with. If they make the top 9 and are getting top 9 getting meaningful minutes, that's fine. If not, have them in the AHL getting meaningful minutes and continuing their development.

Say the likelihood we don't land MacK.

Then One or the other will be getting 3rd line minutes.

I'd give Gauthier 9 games on Jordan's wing at least.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Say the likelihood we don't land MacK.

Then One or the other will be getting 3rd line minutes.

I'd give Gauthier 9 games on Jordan's wing at least.

Yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with one of them getting 3rd line minutes (if they make it), only your post having both of them on the 4th line.

My my understanding is Gauthier is eligible for AHL next year? (maybe I'm wrong?), so does 9 games doesn't really matter? Doesn't his contract start if he goes to the AHL regardless of number of games? Maybe not, as I'm not sure how all that works.

Anyhow, if they show they deserve to be in the NHL in a top 9 role, that's fine, otherwise, get them meaningful minutes in the AHL to continue their development. Rushing them, having them in and out of the line-up, or getting low minutes on the 4th line isn't what I'd like to see.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I honestly would be surprised if Gauthier cracks the lineup next season. I'm just stat looking, he put up more assists this season, but his goal scoring really fell off.

2 years ago he potted 38
Last year he potted 41
This season only 17

That's a bit concerning in his development in my mind. I do think with his frame being like an NHL player already that he could use time to develop in the AHL vs spending time in juniors next season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Oh there's a cute pre-season team build trade proposal thingy on CapFriendly from last September:

CAR: Aho, Lindholm, Hanifin <-> CGY Poirier, rights to Johnny Gaudreau

"Gaudreau's agent is an Aho"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->