Line Combos: Offseason/Next Season Line Combos

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Might as well start discussing for next season.

I think it's safe to say that Chiarot will get at least a 1st (or recent 1st rounder) and a 3rd, and Kulak maybe a 3rd. I'm not really sure about Lehkonen. He fits the management emphasis on speed, but we have so many speedy wingers who are more offensively talented.

I still think Petry will be moved in the off season despite playing better.

For free agency, I really wouldn't be surprised that we sign Letang as a veteran presence because with Petry gone, there will be no PMD. Makes sense for Letang because he already won his cups and is old, playing in his hometown in his final years seems realistic.

So for lines to start the season:

Anderson-Suzuki-Caufield
Pitlick-Dvorak-Hoffman
Drouin-Evans-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Byron/Pezzetta

Eddy-Letang
Romanov-X
X-Savard

Price
Allen
Montembault

We got too many wingers and I'm sure we would like to sign other wingers too so that's why I think Lehkonen makes sense to trade because he would return the most value while still being replaceable. The goalie situation is a question mark with Price.

For this deadline, we would definitely trade Drouin (50%), Allen (50%), and Byron (50%). I think we will trade Dvorak too since he's just not fast enough to be a 2C unless he completely changes.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I would go with

Lehkonen traded for Kravstov
Harris signed
Subban signed if Petry traded
If Price healthy, then Allen traded for a 2nd
If Drouin is traded, then replace him with Pitlick in the lineup

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Kravstov
Hoffman - Poehling - Gallagher
Byron - Evans - Armia
extra: Pitlick, Pezzetta

Edmundson - Subban/Petry
Romanov - Savard
Harris - Clague

Price
Montebeault

Probably not a good roster for tanking. Feels more like a bubble team than a bottom-feeding team.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I would go with

Lehkonen traded for Kravstov
Harris signed
Subban signed if Petry traded
If Price healthy, then Allen traded for a 2nd
If Drouin is traded, then replace him with Pitlick in the lineup

Anderson - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Dvorak - Kravstov
Hoffman - Poehling - Gallagher
Byron - Evans - Armia
extra: Pitlick, Pezzetta

Edmundson - Subban/Petry
Romanov - Savard
Harris - Clague

Price
Montebeault

Probably not a good roster for tanking. Feels more like a bubble team than a bottom-feeding team.
No chance Pitlick is an extra and Subban is cooked.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I reserve the right to revise this later :laugh:

Caufield / Suzuki / Anderson
Hoffman / Wright / Gallagher
Drouin / Poehling / Byron
Pitlick / Evans / Ylonen

Pezzetta, Dauphin

Eddy / Letang
Guhle / Savard
Romanov / Norlinder

Harris, Clague

Allen
Montembeault

* Petry, Armia, Lehkonen traded.
* Weber and Price on LTIR

Reactions: Vachon23

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Drouin/Hoffman - Stastny - Kravtsov/Young Forward
Pitlick - Poehling - Gallagher
Pezzetta/Harvey-Pinard - Evans - Byron

Edmundson - Letang
Romanov - Savard
D Through Trade - Harris
Shuneman/Clague

Price/Allen
Montembeault

- We have lots of veterans on the wing where it is hard for younger guys to compete for a spot in the near future, so I think we will see Lehkonen and one or even two of Drouin/Hoffman/Armia dealt by the beginning of next season. With the last one or two dealt at next year's deadline and Ylonen taking their spot.
- We might need to take back some salary in a deal for Hoffman/Armia as they'll have term left, so perhaps we get a D back to fill out our top 6
- I would think through some of our trades (Chiarot/Lehkonen/Petry), we will add at least one young winger who is capable of playing in the NHL
- If Price is back, then Allen likely gets dealt
- Hughes mentioned he wants a mentor for Suzuki, I could see Dvorak dealt in the offseason and us signing a veteran like Stastny for the 2nd line
- I won't be surprised if Hughes brings in a former client, seeing as Letang is a UFA I wouldn't be shocked to see him finish his career here

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007

Edmundson - Letang
Romanov - Savard
D Through Trade - Harris
Shuneman/Clague

Price/Allen
Montembeault

- We have lots of veterans on the wing where it is hard for younger guys to compete for a spot in the near future, so I think we will see Lehkonen and one or even two of Drouin/Hoffman/Armia dealt by the beginning of next season. With the last one or two dealt at next year's deadline and Ylonen taking their spot.
- We might need to take back some salary in a deal for Hoffman/Armia as they'll have term left, so perhaps we get a D back to fill out our top 6
- I would think through some of our trades (Chiarot/Lehkonen/Petry), we will add at least one young winger who is capable of playing in the NHL
- Hughes mentioned he wants a mentor for Suzuki, I could see Dvorak dealt in the offseason and us signing a veteran like Stastny for the 2nd line
- I won't be surprised if Hughes brings in a former client, seeing as Letang is a UFA I wouldn't be shocked to see him finish his career here
why do we believe Letang will sign?
Why would the habs take him on and not develop a prospect?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Might as well start discussing for next season.

I think it's safe to say that Chiarot will get at least a 1st (or recent 1st rounder) and a 3rd, and Kulak maybe a 3rd. I'm not really sure about Lehkonen. He fits the management emphasis on speed, but we have so many speedy wingers who are more offensively talented.

I still think Petry will be moved in the off season despite playing better.

For free agency, I really wouldn't be surprised that we sign Letang as a veteran presence because with Petry gone, there will be no PMD. Makes sense for Letang because he already won his cups and is old, playing in his hometown in his final years seems realistic.

So for lines to start the season:

Anderson-Suzuki-Caufield
Pitlick-Dvorak-Hoffman
Drouin-Evans-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Byron/Pezzetta

Eddy-Letang
Romanov-X
X-Savard

Price
Allen
Montembault

We got too many wingers and I'm sure we would like to sign other wingers too so that's why I think Lehkonen makes sense to trade because he would return the most value while still being replaceable. The goalie situation is a question mark with Price.

For this deadline, we would definitely trade Drouin (50%), Allen (50%), and Byron (50%). I think we will trade Dvorak too since he's just not fast enough to be a 2C unless he completely changes.
Id add subban on the left for cheap , during rebuild.

As for Letang , unless Price is litr or Letang want barely any money i don't see the interest

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Edmundson - Letang
Romanov - Savard
D Through Trade - Harris
Shuneman/Clague

Price/Allen
Montembeault

Stastny... Rly?

Also where is Dvorak

I don't think Letang is a good idea

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
why do we believe Letang will sign?
Why would the habs take him on and not develop a prospect?

His former agent is GM and he told Renaud Lavoie he'd love to play for the Canadiens before. He's won 3 cups already and Pittsburgh has an aging team that hasn't made it past the first round in 3 years, if they fail again in the playoffs again perhaps he looks for a new challenge.

I'd be surprised to see us go with 3 defenceman next year aged 22 and under, that is why I just listed Romanov/Harris. I think a year in the AHL playing big minutes wouldn't hurt Guhle and Norlinder has had a rough year of development so perhaps it might be best to keep him in the AHL or in Sweden for a full season.

Reactions: Goal Caufield50

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
We'll have a better idea after the TDL.

Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Evans, Poehling, and Pitlick will be a part of next year's forward group. Ylonen probably cracks the roster.

Romanov will be a part of next year's D group.

Every other player is a wild card IMO. If the right offer comes, they'll move. So I can't pencil them in.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Id add subban on the left for cheap , during rebuild.

As for Letang , unless Price is litr or Letang want barely any money i don't see the interest
Subban is beyond cooked and can't skate. He was my favourite player in the league but he's done. The Petry money goes to Letang.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I would trade Lehkonen, Kulak, Chariot at TDL. Trade Allen this summer.

i would trade Petry only for a good package. If offers are low, we keep.

Armia stocks are low. Not the right time to trade him.

I think Byron and Drouin arnt tradable before 2023 Tdl

next year lineup

Caufield-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-Dvorak-Hoffman
Pitlick-Evans-Gallagher
Byron-Poehling-Armia

edmundson-Petry
Romanov-Savard
Harris-X

S Montambault
X

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
Here is my take on how things could go on ..
Trade (TDL): Lekhonen and Chiarot to Avs for: Justin Barron and 1st rounder
Trade (Summer): Byron to Ottawa,
Trade (Summer): Calgary's 1st, Avs 1st, Dvorak and a 2nd in 2023 to Winnipeg for PLD
Signature: Jordan Harris
Draft: Slafkowski

Roster in 2023:
Anderson, Suzuki, Caufield
Drouin, PLD, Armia(or a better option hopfully)
Hoffman, Dauphin, Gallagher
Pittlick, Poehling, Evans

Edmonston, Petry
Romanov, Barron
Harris, Savard

Roster in 2024:
Add Heineman, Slafkovski, Ghule to the mix, -Drouin, Armia, Petry(trade)

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2022-3-1_21-34-54.png

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Assuming Shane Wright has a good 9 games and plays next season in it's entirety, would he slot on the wings or as 3C?

Our forward group isn't looking too bad (still brutal) for a rebuilding team...for now I'm assuming no trades (except Petry) and signings.

Caufield - Suzuki - Hoffman
Pitlick - Dvorak - Gallagher
Drouin - Wright - Anderson
Armia - Evans - Poehling
Byron

Evans being wasted on the 4th line unfortunately
Thinking Gallagher can still perform on the 2nd line, he was pacing for 40+ points in each of the last 2 seasons. Thinking he can still reach 40 points next season.
Drouin should be able to help Wright and take faceoffs when needed, Anderson should create him space.

Defense depends on Petry being traded or not, Gorton said if he's traded then we'll be replacing him with another veteran defenseman but it'll be ugly.

Romanov - Savard
Edmundson - Guhle/UFA
Harris - Wideman
Schueneman

I think Guhle is NHL ready, he'll get his 9 games...if he isn't then let him develop in the AHL. Nothing at all to lose here. Barron belongs in the AHL. Continue giving Romanov heavy minutes.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Way too early to project possible lines.
I have some "concepts". Try out Poehling as the big LW with Suzuki and Caufield. Give them a year to deveop chemistry.

Play Wright and Dvorak as middle 6 Cs with our next 4 best wingers - Gallagher/Anderson/Hoffman/Drouin.

I'd try to trade Armia to get a goalie like Blackwell if Price is not going to come back. And I would sign another cheap, big, fast guy for the 4th line such as Tyler Pitlick.

After trade deadline, we will probably no longer have Allen, Drouin or Byron.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have some "concepts". Try out Poehling as the big LW with Suzuki and Caufield. Give them a year to deveop chemistry.

Play Wright and Dvorak as middle 6 Cs with our next 4 best wingers - Gallagher/Anderson/Hoffman/Drouin.

I'd try to trade Armia to get a goalie like Blackwell if Price is not going to come back. And I would sign another cheap, big, fast guy for the 4th line such as Tyler Pitlick.

After trade deadline, we will probably no longer have Allen, Drouin or Byron.
I like #1...

I think Rem Pitlick is our 2nd best winger...

I don't think anyone wants Armia's contract...

I like Pitlick, but where does he fit:

Caufield Suzuki Poehling
Hoffman Dvorak Gallagher
Drouin Wright Anderson
R. Pitlick Evan's Byron
Armia, Pez, T.Pitlick, Dauphin

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
For the first 9 games:
Pitlick - Dvorak - Hoffman
Drouin - Wright - Gallagher
Poehling - Evans - Armia

Then send Wright down

Reactions: DailyKaizen

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Trade Dvorak and sign Hagelin

Caulfield / Suzuki / Anderson
Drouin / Evans / Hoffman
Pitlick/ Wright / Byron
Poehling / Hagelin / Armia

I know Hagelin is mostly a W but he can take faceoffs and he drives possession against the toughest of opposition.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Caufield - Suzuki - Ylonen
Mysak - Wright - Anderson
Pitlick - Evans - Pezzetta
Dauphin - Poehling - Deslauriers

Romanov - Barron
Guhle - Edmunson
Scheneuman - Harris

Montembault
Primeau

*I didn't forget anybody. If they aren't listed, they were dealt or dumped. For whatever we could get.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Roy - Suzuki - Caufield
Drouin - Wright - Anderson
Pitlick - Dvorak - Gallagher
Poehling//Dauphin - Evans - Byron//Pezzetta

Romanov - Savard
Edmundson - Barron
Guhle - Petry
Harris

Price
Montembeault

Trade Allen to give Montembeault games, if Price retire... keep Allen and Montembeault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad