Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Yohe can chime in all his wants but when has he ever had legit sources? Dude hasn't broken a single trade or signing in his Pens career that I can think of. Even Rossi has broken a few moves. If Rossi reported there was no rift I'd maybe be more inclined to believe it. Yohe though? Eh whatever.

That said Seravalli also kinda sucks.
Yeah, I think it's interesting that the only power struggle/rift comments have come from Seravalli, who is clearly not the reporter he was several years ago, and Weekes, who is all about social media engagement and also doesn't have a perfect track record. There is also Kypreos, who is terrible, speculating on Sullivan to the Devils.

Everyone else has been far more reserved and cautious about describing anything.

Reactions: Factorial

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I am 40 and have been a fan of the Pens since 93. Granted, I was a kid then, but I've only followed more closely as I've gotten older. That's 31 years.

I had no idea you could trade a coach.

In fact, I thought you COULDN'T trade coaches.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Taking this as a "firing" at face value, Vellucci has this upcoming season left on his contract.
actually his contract is up as well. they gotta let him go as well, in charge of the forward group and once again a laughably low conversion rate on shots.

Reactions: Andy99

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yohe can chime in all his wants but when has he ever had legit sources? Dude hasn't broken a single trade or signing in his Pens career that I can think of. Even Rossi has broken a few moves. If Rossi reported there was no rift I'd maybe be more inclined to believe it. Yohe though? Eh whatever.

That said Seravalli also kinda sucks.
Seravalli is also a noted Crosby hater, there by a Penguins hater by association.

actually his contract is up as well. they gotta let him go as well, in charge of the forward group and once again a laughably low conversion rate on shots.

They both signed 2 year extensions at the same time. If Reirdon got fired that means he had another season left, so does Vellucci.

Reactions: Pancakes

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If dubas can trade Sullivan for a first or second that would be amazing

Pardon my ignorance but this can still be done? I knew at one point they could but I wasn't sure if it had been CBA'd out, since.

That would rule. Can you imagine getting a first or even second round pick for a coach?!?

These guys are like used car salesmen that used to play hockey once upon a time. Talk about getting a bunch of something for a bunch of nothing.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, I think it's interesting that the only power struggle/rift comments have come from Seravalli, who is clearly not the reporter he was several years ago, and Weekes, who is all about social media engagement and also doesn't have a perfect track record. There is also Kypreos, who is terrible, speculating on Sullivan to the Devils.

Everyone else has been far more reserved and cautious about describing anything.
I do think it's important to keep in mind the nature of the comments made.

Yohe doesn't have true insider sources, so we can take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Weekes' comments were purely speculative. Yes it'd be cool if the Pens traded Sully. We'd all love it. But that was just Weekes speculating.

Seravalli claimed there's a rift, but Seravalli is also the same guy who said Dubas turned down the Pens job. I don't trust him with Pens news at the moment.

I wish I could say where there's smoke there's fire (as it pertains to Sullivan) but it's just not the case. Nobody has anything on this.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Seravalli's quality of work has faded as quickly and as precipitously as his youth has and generally acts like the Penguins stole his 60 year old girlfriend or something so he's basically useless at least to us.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I do think it's important to keep in mind the nature of the comments made.

Yohe doesn't have true insider sources, so we can take whatever he says with a grain of salt.

Weekes' comments were purely speculative. Yes it'd be cool if the Pens traded Sully. We'd all love it. But that was just Weekes speculating.

Seravalli claimed there's a rift, but Seravalli is also the same guy who said Dubas turned down the Pens job. I don't trust him with Pens news at the moment.

I wish I could say where there's smoke there's fire (as it pertains to Sullivan) but it's just not the case. Nobody has anything on this.
Completely agree. I'm at the point where unless management/coaching news is coming from Friedman and LeBrun, I'm skeptical. Those are the only two who truly seem to have any Pens access at all when it comes to news other than free agents and trades.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Seravalli's quality of work has faded as quickly and as precipitously as his youth has and generally acts like the Penguins stole his 60 year old girlfriend or something so he's basically useless at least to us.
To be fair he was always useless to me as is pretty much 98.9999999999999999999999999999999999998% of planet earth's population.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He's in a tough line of work. I don't think there are many moles in the Pens org anymore that are willing to speak openly about the current situation. I imagine it's a situation that is being kept pretty close to home with the involved parties. To get someone to talk on it AND be willing to tell Seravalli (or ANY "insider" for that matter) knowing full well it will be broadcast to the world, is tough.

It's like, there can be arguments between Dubas and Sully, hell they can end in screaming matches. Then it could be reported with rampant speculation but if they patch things up and nothing happens, it doesn't negate the initial report that an argument occurred. No different than trade rumors. Teams talk all the time. There can be a rumor of a trade discussion that doesn't come to fruition. Happens all the time. The report of the discussion is true and the fact that it doesn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't accurate reporting.

The entire hockey world has a really weird and often arbitrary way of establishing credibility with "insiders".

I think the best we can do here is merely say "where there is smoke, there is likely fire". Who knows what happens. Good news is that one coach is already gone. That's a start. That's SOMETHING.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Was he as much of a power play savant then as he is now?
back then he was QB'ing the PP, not coaching it. Back then he was about 6'6 and weighed about 170 pounds soaking wet, but he had an absolute cannon of a shot. Put one off our goalie's mask in practice and dented the mask in about an inch. had more hair too lol.

Not sure what happened this year with your PP, didn't follow your team at all. Guess we'll see how the PP does next year before we can definitively decide if it was the coaching or the players.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Seravalli is also a noted Crosby hater, there by a Penguins hater by association.

They both signed 2 year extensions at the same time. If Reirdon got fired that means he had another season left, so does Vellucci.
Not necessarily…their contracts aren’t up until July 1

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Yohe is also a vehement Sullivan defender. Anything Yohe says I take with a grain of salt in how he is trying to cover for Sully. I think that's exactly what's happening here. Protecting Sullivan from a rapid fan base that is increasingly growing tired of his shit.

Or you just want to believe there are problems between MS and KD.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

All you really need to know about Seravalli is that he went on a 10 minute heated rage because Sid skipped a few all-star game events but then said we should give the benefit of the doubt to the poor misunderstood kid when it came to re-instating Logan Mailloux.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad