Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
4606e8e7-a59e-48d8-b38e-a89d1488168b_text.gif

Sully throwing his assistants under the bus every time a GM realizes the Pens coaching sucks.
If reports are correct he didn’t. He didn’t want to change the staff at all and it was Dubas who did.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Guys, keep an eye on Paul McFarland as a potential assistance coach for Pittsburgh.

McFarland was an assistant with Toronto before leaving the gig and was hired by Dubas.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I thought trading coaches wasn't possible. Maybe we all just assumed that?

No it's completely possible, Sullivan is under contract for the Penguins just like Crosby, Malkin and Letang are. It just doesn't happen in the NHL.

The NHL has seen a coaching trade before though, the Quebec Nordiques traded their head coach to the NYR for a 1st back in 1987. But the rules of the game were fundamentally different 40 years ago.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've posted this a million times already, but if Sullivan is seriously defending the job Reirden did last year and was trying to protect him from getting fired, the dude is an idiot and should be fired as well.

The Penguins powerplay last year had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel and Karlsson and finished 3rd worst in the NHL. Reirden was in charge of that powerplay. How can any reasonable person be trying to fight for that guy to keep his role?

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've posted this a million times already, but if Sullivan is seriously defending the job Reirden did last year and was trying to protect him from getting fired, the dude is an idiot and should be fired as well.

The Penguins powerplay last year had Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Guentzel and Karlsson and finished 3rd worst in the NHL. Reirden was in charge of that powerplay. How can any reasonable person be trying to fight for that guy to keep his role?
I almost don’t believe the reporting that sully was vehemently against changes to the staff.

Like, THAT was your power play and you’re not even open to the idea of changes?

Reactions: Lustaf

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I don't understand the Weekes and Seravalli tweets.

If there was going to be a change with Sullivan, it would have happened before today. Today's announcement was the conclusion to the power struggle. Maybe Dubas wanted even more changes, but they compromised on just Reirden.

I find it hard to believe that Sullivan is going to be pouting to the point where two weeks from now, he says he's had enough and steps down.

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania

I think it’s much more that he knows if the assistants get canned as well as the WBS coaches and they start out slow next season, he’s potentially going to be fired too. Thus protecting his own job security.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

This is Seravalli so I'll attach the unwritten "if this is actually true...."

Only in professional sports can you have someone who has recently been so monumentally bad at his multi-million dollar job and still attempt to throw around some manner of demand. And it happens all the time.

I'll give him credit though, balls that size are usually busy chasing after Indiana Jones.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The whole "power struggle" dynamic between Sullivan and Dubas almost seems like an ego problem with Sullivan where Dubas won't give him as much control/respect as Rutherford and Hextall did. JR loved Sullivan from the 2 cups and I think Hextall was too incompetent to challenge Sullivan's authority. But Dubas has no connections to those past teams, so he doesn't just worship Sullivan like the other GMs did.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
The whole "power struggle" dynamic between Sullivan and Dubas almost seems like an ego problem with Sullivan where Dubas won't give him as much control/respect as Rutherford and Hextall did. JR loved Sullivan from the 2 cups and I think Hextall was too incompetent to challenge Sullivan's authority. But Dubas has no connections to those past teams, so he doesn't just worship Sullivan like the other GMs did.
I doubt Hextall was capable of tying his own shoes or wiping his own ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad