Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I certainly remember how excited everyone was and how we could barely believe we got Mike Sullivan when he first was hired by WBS.

Just like how Colorado loved getting Bednar who is know apparently a top coach in the league even though they were absolutely awful with him at the helm the first year.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Saying "there are no good coaches available" is not an argument for not firing Sullivan, as others have already said. On the other hand, if there are only legitimately bad coaches available, then you don't fire Sullivan. If the alternative is Dave Hakstol, you keep Sullivan.

I feel like that's a fairly reasonable take here. Don't fire Sullivan to bring in some shit tier coach just for the sake of change, but you don't need a proven great coach to justify firing Sullivan.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Saying "there are no good coaches available" is not an argument for not firing Sullivan, as others have already said. On the other hand, if there are only legitimately bad coaches available, then you don't fire Sullivan. If the alternative is Dave Hakstol, you keep Sullivan.

I agree with the first part but the second part is contradictory. There are never only legitimately bad coaches available. Your team may only look at trash options but they doesn't mean good coaches arent available.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Mike Sullivan and Rod Brind'Amour were just retired former players looking for jobs before they were "top tier" head coaches.

That isn't to say there aren't flat out awful coaches. There are. I have no idea how Hakstol is even still finding work, for instance.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Just like how Colorado loved getting Bednar who is know apparently a top coach in the league even though they were absolutely awful with him at the helm the first year.
Bednar was promoted at the last minute because of the Roy situation. He was hired a month before camp. The franchise was in shambles.

He's proven his worth since that first year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The Pittsburgh Penguins have not been asked for permission, nor have they granted permission, for the New Jersey Devils to speak to head coach Mike Sullivan, Penguins president of hockey operations and general manager Kyle Dubas said Tuesday.

“There have been no requests and no permissions granted,” Dubas said in a text message to The Athletic.
3ORUNvGNZiFBfVzwGT.webp

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That is the point. You don't need to bring in a name. There are good coaches out there who haven't got a shot.

It's like AHL players except even moreso.

I wish more guys who AREN'T former players would coach. Think you'd see more ability to think around corners and less idiotic adherence to some "old school" methods and ways of thinking.

Reactions: Darren McCord

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Reminds me of some horrendous relationships I've witnessed. Somehow the two end up back together time and again, and 'somehow' things don't change. She's insane. He drinks. Abuse. Cheating. Whatever - it's usually all there. Two basket cases tied to one another.

6 years of failure...but maybe we need until Christmas break THIS year to determine if Sullivan is past his time here.

Every day that passes is just another day in the saga that is Penguin FO insanity. Maybe Sully has nudes of them. Maybe Sully is their weed man. Whatever the case - it's not that he's a great coach and they feel they can have success with them - because if that's the case there's got to be some sort of legal ground here that we can have their heads checked because that level of insanity shouldn't be walking the streets.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly at this point if I'm Sullivan I'm just strutting around all day like Vince McMahon making ridiculous demands and seeing how far I can push this whole asinine hostage situation.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Honestly at this point if I'm Sullivan I'm just strutting around all day like Vince McMahon making ridiculous demands and seeing how far I can push this whole asinine hostage situation.
On the outside maybe. Inside, I can't imagine he's THAT unaware of the totality of his failures since 2017.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That seems more like a lawyer answer from Dubas than anything. New Jersey may have not asked permission to talk with Sullivan about a job, but that doesn't mean that Sullivan and Dubas have not had discussions about Sullivan's future with the Penguins.

That's not even me coping, it's just that the Dubas quote doesn't really seem to kill what is being suggested out there. No one was saying that New Jersey was asking for permission to talk with Sullivan, what was being discussed is that Sullivan is interested in coaching for New Jersey and the team and him may mutually agree to part ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad