Speculation: Offseason coaching thread: Should they stay or should they go?

Coaches:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Devils fan popping in. Sorry if this is not allowed and the mods can feel free to delete this post. Every once in a while I get a scoop. This might mean absolutely nothing, but I had a friend text me this morning "sully and the pens mutually part. sully and the devils by the end of the week".

maybe it's useless and my friend is a dolt. maybe it's maybelline. he tipped me off on the meier trade, he tipped me off on the bratt extension, and he tipped me off on severson being traded, which was a surprise. had one big swing and a miss in there too (said that gaudreau was done to NJ), but it eventually came out that Johnny told the Devils "ok, I like this number" before the last second pivot to Ohio.

anyway, feel free to delete if baseless speculation from a random residential architect in florida is not a welcomed post on the forum.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Devils fan popping in. Sorry if this is not allowed and the mods can feel free to delete this post. Every once in a while I get a scoop. This might mean absolutely nothing, but I had a friend text me this morning "sully and the pens mutually part. sully and the devils by the end of the week".

maybe it's useless and my friend is a dolt. maybe it's maybelline. he tipped me off on the meier trade, he tipped me off on the bratt extension, and he tipped me off on severson being traded, which was a surprise. had one big swing and a miss in there too (said that gaudreau was done to NJ), but it eventually came out that Johnny told the Devils "ok, I like this number" before the last second pivot to Ohio.

anyway, feel free to delete if baseless speculation from a random residential architect in florida is not a welcomed post on the forum.

Good. Sullivan leaving would be awesome and him ruining an up and coming team in our division would be even better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I may be talking out of my ass, but didn’t Dubas say something along the lines of “a change of scenery may be good” regarding Sullivan at the end of year press conference? I swear he said something along those lines.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Sully to NJD rumor makes sense to me. I think he's a decent fit there. Though his contract extension here is about to kick in, if he has a deal on the table which potentially pays him more, he'd be stupid not to take it. Nobody needs a fresh start more than Sully right now.

Despite what this board thinks of Sully, he obviously has league-wide respect and his reputation is still there despite all the disappointment we've endured in the past 6 years. If he waits another year the market might sour on him, no better time than now. 4 head coach openings out there (3 of them decent opportunities), potentially more after Round 1 ends, that might not happen again next offseason.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas was telling Sullivan “we’ll allow you to leave if Keefe gets fired”, which seems pretty likely but he probably wants to wait just to be sure.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas was telling Sullivan “we’ll allow you to leave if Keefe gets fired”, which seems pretty likely but he probably wants to wait just to be sure.
He can’t be ignorant about how endlessly he would be mocked if he brought in the only coach he’s ever hired.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Keefe is barf. Rather get Hakstol. But this is Dubas' world, we're just living in it.

He can’t be ignorant about how endlessly he would be mocked if he brought in the only coach he’s ever hired.
Given every other Dubas move so far as the Pens GM, would it really surprise you?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
#SullyWatch2024 could potentially be a bigger let down that #JagrWatch.

Sullivan makes too much sense. You can't have the dismal record post cups he's had and keep your job. Now how they frame that, IDGAF, as long as he is not behind the bench next year. I don't care if the NJD pick him up either. If they are getting 16/17 Sullivan, that's tremendous for them. I don't hate this Devils team enough to be crushed by it. But I imagine they are getting the 2018-2024 Sullivan in which case, it makes no difference.

Keefe coming here makes sense. He's coached star studded rosters. As long as he's capable of tailoring a system to the current Penguins roster, it's fine by me but I would be saying that about every possible coach.

The one thing I'd like to add to that, is I hope they go out and find another coach as well that can provide additional support. I want for the new coach what Tocchet gave Sullivan. Whether that's Boudreau, Hekstoll, Gallant, or a new up and coming guy, I don't care. I just don't want the new HC to be on the almighty throne ala late Bylsma and Sullivan. There should be an assistant or associate coach that will push and challenge when necessary. It's in that regard I think we often underestimate how devastating a loss Tocchet was.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I doubt that. If Sully actually wants to leave and void his contract you let him. That would be idiotic holding him. Ya lets keep the guy who doesn't want to be here for 3 years.

There are plenty of coaches out there who would want to be here. You don't keep people around who dont want to be. Throw Sully and Smith out.

Reactions: Lustaf

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It would really be something if Cooper and Sullivan both parted ways and merely swapped teams. Or even just Sully to NJD and Cooper to the Penguins.

I doubt that. If Sully actually wants to leave and void his contract you let him. That would be idiotic holding him. Ya lets keep the guy who doesn't want to be here for 3 years.
I don't think the contract is as big of an issue as people think.

Like say Matthews told the Leafs to FOAD and they mutually terminated the contract...you don't think another NHL team would offer Matthews the exact same contract?

If Sullivan terminates the deal (or Dubas does or it's mutual, whatever) then he absolutely finds a similar deal with a new club. 100%.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I just don't want the new HC to be on the almighty throne ala late Bylsma and Sullivan.
And that's exactly why the new HC shouldn't be "Dubas' guy".

I like Hakstol. Outcoached Bednar last year and then went 7 games against a deep Dallas team in Round 2. Feel like he will actually play the young guys but will respect the big 4. Not expecting any Jansen Harkins bs with a guy like Hakstol.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
It would really be something if Cooper and Sullivan both parted ways and merely swapped teams. Or even just Sully to NJD and Cooper to the Penguins.

I don't think the contract is as big of an issue as people think.

Like say Matthews told the Leafs to FOAD and they mutually terminated the contract...you don't think another NHL team would offer Matthews the exact same contract?

If Sullivan terminates the deal (or Dubas does or it's mutual, whatever) then he absolutely finds a similar deal with a new club. 100%.

I am not saying the contract is an issue. I am saying you dont keep a guy who doesnt want to be here. The response was not to telling sullivan he cant go to the Devils unless keefe was fired.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Devils please take that bum off our hands. Getting rid of Sullivan would be the biggest/best move the Pens could make

People will be begging for Sullivan back 5 games into the Dave Hakstol era
I'd welcome Bylsma back. Literally down with anyone who isn't Sullivan

Reactions: Andy99

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
People will be begging for Sullivan back 5 games into the Dave Hakstol era
I think Sully will do well in his post Penguins gig. I don't think that's a Bylsma situation where he fizzles out in a year or two. But it doesn't change the fact that the Penguins need a change and we've needed one for many years now. I'm not deadset on Hakstol but I like him a lot more than Sheldon Keefe

Reactions: Andy99

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I know there are worse coaches than Sullivan floating around, but there are none with whom I am as exasperated. He has just gotten so stale here. I think that any change behind the bench might be enough to get this team to "dead cat bounce" its way into the playoffs at least one more time before Crosby and Malkin hang 'em up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad