Official Sports Media Thread (TV, Radio, Print etc.) - Rebooted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sports anchor from Detroit coming to FOX 25 - I wonder who is out?

Tom Leyden bids farewell to Detroit

A quick story about how Michigan sucked us in. My wife and I came to Detroit in 2004 driving a Honda and a Toyota. There is no chance you'll see us doing that again. Now I know the people who engineer the cars. I'm friends with the guy who makes the glue that keeps parts of your car together. I've had beers with some amazing people who work at the assembly plants and they were all awesome to me.

How could I possibly buy a foreign car when I have such a personal connection with the heartbeat of the Motor City?

Thank you for converting me. Thank you for caring enough to watch on TV. Thank you for saying hello when you saw me out and about. You've given my family an amazing 10 1/2 years and we'll carry so many of you with us forever.

Stay in touch. Follow on Twitter and Facebook and if you're in Boston, give me a shout! Maybe we can grab a drink at Fenway or some seafood at Faneuil Hall. Heck - maybe the Lions and Patriots will meet in the Super Bowl some day - a man can dream, right?

That's a good place to end, because I feel like I've lived a dream side-by-side with you for the last 11 seasons.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Felger has become everything he despises. To bad, I really liked him at one time and every now and then he can bring it- especially on the national shows where he is excellent. He's still got it somewhere but I think to many balls in the air to juggle and he is going with a recipe that got him the gig and subsequent top ratings. But as Glen Ordway learned the hard way you better have more than one mirror in the house and not surround yourself with yourself.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Felger has become everything he despises. To bad, I really liked him at one time and every now and then he can bring it- especially on the national shows where he is excellent. He's still got it somewhere but I think to many balls in the air to juggle and he is going with a recipe that got him the gig and subsequent top ratings. But as Glen Ordway learned the hard way you better have more than one mirror in the house and not surround yourself with yourself.

Agreed. Could you imagine how unbearable a Felger/Ordway or Felger/Minihane show would be? Woof. :help:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What's really sad about this is that it got under Jack's skin to the point he wasted 30 minutes looking to disprove Felger. If anything, it's a win for Felger because he just trolled the crap out of Edwards, and like all TSH listeners, he fell for it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I just find it surprising that in an age where there is a sensitivity by large corporations to be inclusive to as broad an audience as possible, that they would give a guy like that a platform.

I don't want to get into a debate about what he said, because that's not my point, but this sentence (and I luv ya man) is ironic.

If you want to get a broad audience, then you have to have shows that actually have DIFFERENT view points. Having one monolithic view on the world, on issues, on culture is completely wrong. Reasonable people, with no "bigotry" or "hatred" in their hearts can have different opinions on a wide variety of subjects.

The need by some (not u) to say that someone is not just wrong, but "evil" or "a hater" is just a glimpse that they have no real argument to support their side.

At some point, "broadcasting" became "narrowcasting" and people locked into shows/channels/programs that only confirmed their narrow points of view. When you listen to someone who sees the world EXACTLY like you (whether that's Fox, MSNBC, NPR, conservative talk radio, whatever) you become so firmly entrenched and reinforced of your opinions that you become close-minded.

Diversity of opinions is absolutely the greatest thing a liberal (in the historical meaning of the word) society can have. Ironic that many liberals (in the current meaning) are so afraid of it. Conservatives are often wrong, but they do seem more willing to engage different opinions (for instances, studies have shown Fox viewers tend to have more exposure to media with different opinions than MSNBC viewers do).

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
What's really sad about this is that it got under Jack's skin to the point he wasted 30 minutes looking to disprove Felger. If anything, it's a win for Felger because he just trolled the crap out of Edwards, and like all TSH listeners, he fell for it.

I'm still trying to figure out how "one of the better" is different from "one of the best". Is there really a qualitative difference or is Jack being semantic? He does have a point however that it wasn't he who said it.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm still trying to figure out how "one of the better" is different from "one of the best". Is there really a qualitative difference or is Jack being semantic? He does have a point however that it wasn't he who said it.

I'm not a fan of Jack at all, and this may be a semantical stretch, but if I hear something/someone described as one of "the best", I do think about it as a level or two higher than one of "the better".

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014

Jack is butt-hurt that he got callled out. (Rightfully so, since it was actually Brick's comment - though the difference in the actual comment and the rant was merely one of nuance). I appreciate that Jack doesn't go off half-cocked, and brings facts to bear in his defence.

Felger I've given up on. I've refused to listen to him on 98.5 ever since the deflate-gate thing started. He was very aggressive about pushing the anti-Patriots agenda and wouldn't let go. He just went way over the top on something that A. Was obviously unimportant even if true, B. Seemed more likely to be accidental than planned and C. Was unlikely to actually have consequences once the pre-SuperBowl media feeding frenzy passed. It just hammered home that he either didn't know the sport or was just shamelessly muckraking. Since I know the former isn't the case, the latter is obvious. And I've always known that he's a troll. But to waste so much time on utter nonsense at the expense of not bringing any actual material to the show is lazy, and frankly, I resent someone trying to troll me that persistently.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yeah, it's pretty much a semantics exercise. Waste of time, tbh.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I heard the segment in question. Felger & TM have become professional trolls. As Jack notes, Felger is frequently sloppy, reckless, and, indeed, mean spirited. And you're likely correct, DKH. Felger resorts to this stuff because in pursuit of the Benjamin's, he's spread himself thin as a ubiquitous media blowhard.

Yes he can be very entertaining, but the relentless negativity & gleeful bashing of individual players became tiresome for me a good while ago. Rarely listen these days, because 90% of the time, I know what's coming & refuse to subject myself to it. As a lifelong Bruins fan, I may be a masochist. But I'm not *that* much of a masochist.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Jack just gave Felger exactly what he wanted: tomorrow at 2pm will be 100% must-listen radio.

He took the cheese and now Felger is going to get 4 hours of easy radio out of it.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack just gave Felger exactly what he wanted: tomorrow at 2pm will be 100% must-listen radio.

He took the cheese and now Felger is going to get 4 hours of easy radio out of it.

Does Jack ever appear on 98.5 or his he exclusive to WEEI now?

Felger is way overexposed and I am sick of him. When he was the Bruins beat reporter for the Herald he was very harsh on them but finally was taken off the beat when Jacobs threatened to sue the paper after he wrote a nasty column about Jacobs that crossed the line.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I heard the segment in question. Felger & TM have become professional trolls. As Jack notes, Felger is frequently sloppy, reckless, and, indeed, mean spirited. And you're likely correct, DKH. Felger resorts to this stuff because in pursuit of the Benjamin's, he's spread himself thin as a ubiquitous media blowhard.

Yes he can be very entertaining, but the relentless negativity & gleeful bashing of individual players became tiresome for me a good while ago. Rarely listen these days, because 90% of the time, I know what's coming & refuse to subject myself to it. As a lifelong Bruins fan, I may be a masochist. But I'm not *that* much of a masochist.

Bruce Allen has it right about Felger and his ilk. We are in the golden age of Boston sports, and they're constantly telling us we should be miserable. It's not reasoned, critical analysis, it's crapping in the punchbowl.

The only response is a simple one. Don't listen.

Danton Heineken

Howard Potts
Mar 11, 2007
Fall River
Does Jack ever appear on 98.5 or his he exclusive to WEEI now?

Felger is way overexposed and I am sick of him. When he was the Bruins beat reporter for the Herald he was very harsh on them but finally was taken off the beat when Jacobs threatened to sue the paper after he wrote a nasty column about Jacobs that crossed the line.

Jack did some bits for T & R a few years ago, but otherwise has been exclusive to WEEI. I doubt he ever calls into the show, but either way, Felger will spend 90% of the show on this spat.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

You pretty much summed up exactly why I stopped listening. It is one thing to mock a player or coach but to do the same to the fans of the Boston teams is down right arrogant. When I started describing the feeling as "stressful" listening to him is when I turned the channel. Dale and Holley may not be edgy but they have an intelligent conversation about the topics they cover.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
Bruce Allen has it right about Felger and his ilk. We are in the golden age of Boston sports, and they're constantly telling us we should be miserable. It's not reasoned, critical analysis, it's crapping in the punchbowl.

The only response is a simple one. Don't listen.

Artemis, Scott Williamson was the guy you were thinking of that Shilling trashed years ago.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

This is exactly right. Felger is a professional troll and he uses his abilities to suck people in even though they know it's his shtick. Edwards bought it hook, line, and sinker.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
You pretty much summed up exactly why I stopped listening. It is one thing to mock a player or coach but to do the same to the fans of the Boston teams is down right arrogant. When I started describing the feeling as "stressful" listening to him is when I turned the channel. Dale and Holley may not be edgy but they have an intelligent conversation about the topics they cover.

D&C mocked Bruins fans for years, too. In fact, right after they won the cup, Callahan called people who stuck with the team through thick and thin "suckers" and "losers." I remember listening to them the few days after the cup win and caller after caller ripped him to shreds for his comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad