OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
THAT'S DUE TO THE PRIVACY laws, which is why the new regulations over data and streaming went into effect as of today, where GDRF now applies after scandals over security issues, because a lot of sites are updating privacy/terms, including here, where it popped up one day even if u were logged in

That’s actually called GDPR and it went into effect on May 25th

EU GDPR Information Portal

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I can’t stream TSN video.

TSN Radio you can, you actually have access to every cities sports station with the TSN app. I listen to Montreal's station from 10-1 bc there is a lot of NHL talk.

I called WEEI and they said I can stream through the site still, which worked. The new Radio Android app isnt available but using a browser works fine. Less convenient but not the end of the world. Still remember driving around to find certain spots to find a good 850AM signal before smart phones.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
TSN Radio you can, you actually have access to every cities sports station with the TSN app. I listen to Montreal's station from 10-1 bc there is a lot of NHL talk.

I called WEEI and they said I can stream through the site still, which worked. The new Radio Android app isnt available but using a browser works fine. Less convenient but not the end of the world. Still remember driving around to find certain spots to find a good 850AM signal before smart phones.
I’m all set with radio. Don’t understand why I can’t see the video but they let you see the commercial. So you spend 30 seconds watching the commercial and then they tell you your not allowed to see video. Dirty!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I’m all set with radio. Don’t understand why I can’t see the video but they let you see the commercial. So you spend 30 seconds watching the commercial and then they tell you your not allowed to see video. Dirty!
Video may be in part due to the new rules, Chizzler....

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have doubts that this text ever happened - or if it did that McGrory sent it.

Globe challenges Sargent to show evidence - CommonWealth Magazine

The brief also cited Sargent’s claim that the text was a screenshot and she no longer has the original.
Siegal, who declined comment on the Globe’s latest filing, said in his brief that retrieving it was a cumbersome and expensive undertaking that his client did not have the resources to carry out. Batten wrote that was the first the paper has heard of such a barrier and while he stopped short of saying the Globe would pay for it, he made clear there is no expectation that Sargent would bear the cost of retrieving any messages.

“The Globe has not insisted that Sargent undertake any expensive or difficult measures to retrieve messages, because she did not tell the Globe about these difficulties, and there is no request now that she shoulder the expense of retaining a vendor,” Batten wrote.

Batten also dismissed Sargent’s claim that the Globe’s suit was an effort to intimidate her and keep her from talking. Batten said that is not the intent at all.
“Again: the Globe wants to hear the details of her allegations, not to silence her,” he wrote.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I have doubts that this text ever happened - or if it did that McGrory sent it.

Globe challenges Sargent to show evidence - CommonWealth Magazine

The brief also cited Sargent’s claim that the text was a screenshot and she no longer has the original.
Siegal, who declined comment on the Globe’s latest filing, said in his brief that retrieving it was a cumbersome and expensive undertaking that his client did not have the resources to carry out. Batten wrote that was the first the paper has heard of such a barrier and while he stopped short of saying the Globe would pay for it, he made clear there is no expectation that Sargent would bear the cost of retrieving any messages.

“The Globe has not insisted that Sargent undertake any expensive or difficult measures to retrieve messages, because she did not tell the Globe about these difficulties, and there is no request now that she shoulder the expense of retaining a vendor,” Batten wrote.

Batten also dismissed Sargent’s claim that the Globe’s suit was an effort to intimidate her and keep her from talking. Batten said that is not the intent at all.
“Again: the Globe wants to hear the details of her allegations, not to silence her,” he wrote.

She should at least have time stamps on the day she took the screenshots. From there she can narrow down a rough time frame when the texts happened.

Its so hard to make a judgement on the "What do you wear while writing?" question.

I need some more context. On the rare chance that I am writing something, I do it best in some pajamas. If I try and write wearing jeans and a nice shirt, forget it. Was that the direction the questioning was going in?

And they previously dated? When I was a single guy in my earlier 20's, I have some risque text convos with some exes that if taken out of context, could paint me in a bad picture.

I need to see more before I get the pitchforks out.

Reactions: Fenway

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Real good read, IMO.

Bob Ryan remembers his start, 50 years ago, at the Globe - The Boston Globe

The first day started with a bang. I got sideswiped by a Bloodmobile on Storrow Drive. It messed up the fender on my Plymouth Valiant, but I was OK. Hey, I was off on a new adventure.

It was Monday, June 10, 1968. Yup, 50 years ago. It was my first day as a summer intern for the Boston Globe.

There were three sports interns. There was Dave Martin. There was me. And there was this guy from Groton, Mass., via the University of North Carolina. Peter Gammons. Perhaps you’ve heard of him.

. The Globe actually had two separate sports staffs. Fran Rosa was the morning sports editor. Ernie Roberts was the evening sports editor. The legendary Jerry Nason was the executive sports editor. Since 1941 he had written six columns a week, the highlight being his famed Saturday notes column. During the fall he assigned himself a local college football game.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
When I was in college I entertained the idea of sports journalism. I was a sports columnist for the college paper.I reached out to Bob Ryan, Jackie Mac, and Shaughnessy for a project about “learning the industry”.

All were incredibly gracious. Jackie Mac and I had an incredible discussion about being a woman in sports media. And Shaughnessy called my dorm room. I’ll never forget it. I had my first cell phone, but cell phones were for emergencies at that point in time so my dorm room phone was the one that I gave for contact information. One day, a roommate (also a big sports fan) called my cell while I was off campus somewhere and said “um....Dan Shaughnessy just called you? Wanted to talk to you about the articles you sent him? And...give him a call back?”

As I’ve grown I might not like his style, approach, or content...but I will
NEVER forget the time that Shaughnessy took to talk to me about my writing and the industry.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When I was in college I entertained the idea of sports journalism. I was a sports columnist for the college paper.I reached out to Bob Ryan, Jackie Mac, and Shaughnessy for a project about “learning the industry”.

All were incredibly gracious. Jackie Mac and I had an incredible discussion about being a woman in sports media. And Shaughnessy called my dorm room. I’ll never forget it. I had my first cell phone, but cell phones were for emergencies at that point in time so my dorm room phone was the one that I gave for contact information. One day, a roommate (also a big sports fan) called my cell while I was off campus somewhere and said “um....Dan Shaughnessy just called you? Wanted to talk to you about the articles you sent him? And...give him a call back?”

NEVER forget the time that Shaughnessy took to talk to me about my writing and the industry.

Shaughnessy is a decent guy and he doesn't hide from people or players.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

He is a fraud. Attacks other columnists and parachutes in when after the fact when there is trouble reported by someone else.

This is the same person who works for the Globe owned by John Henry that threw Francona under the bus

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Fair enough per CHB. Always big "Jackie Mac" and Bob Ryan fan. Many -- if not most -- in the JRN biz are generous with their juniors.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In a statement issued Monday, the Globe repeated a number of points from its letter to Judge Roach.
“The action’s purpose was to ascertain the truth about a serious allegation Ms. Sargent publicly leveled on social media regarding an inappropriate text exchange between her and Boston Globe Editor Brian McGrory,” the paper said. “In her tweet, she implied that it was sent while she was an employee at boston.com, although there was no date visible.

“Faced with Ms. Sargent’s refusal to provide the date of the exchange, the Globe brought legal action to expeditiously learn all relevant information from Ms. Sargent. That legal action succeeded in achieving its purpose: Ms. Sargent has finally provided the information the Globe has requested from the start. Crucially, Ms. Sargent has now admitted that she does ‘not recall’ when the messages were sent and it is ‘more likely’ that they were sent after she worked at the Globe.”

Globe to drop lawsuit against former Boston.com editor - The Boston Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad