OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I can't stand Adam Jones schtick

Kirk today went off on Jack putting himself in the middle of things in Bruins game :laugh:
Easily the worst person on either station. He is entirely predictible with his "takes". Not sure why he's still on the air to be completely honest. It's not a case of people hate listening to him like F&M.

I don't mind Cattles.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Joe McDonald has started at The Athletic and he makes it sound he is overjoyed to be away from Bedard as he does not mention BSJ in his resume.

Joe McDonald: Bringing passion for hockey to an All-Star...

My professional career began in 1992 at nation’s oldest daily newspaper, the Providence Journal. I spent 18 years at the paper and it was an incredible experience. It started in the circulation department and concluded as the No. 1 Red Sox beat writer. I never thought it would end. I imagined I would spend my entire career at the Journal and that was just fine with me.

When ESPN came calling in 2009, it took months before I finally decided to make the jump to ESPNBoston.com to cover the Bruins and Red Sox in 2010. In 2014, I became a national hockey writer for ESPN.com.

It was exactly one year ago today when ESPN decided to gut its writing staff, specifically in the hockey department. That company’s loss has become The Athletic’s gain and I can’t stress enough how thrilled I am to be here.

Now that the Bruins have advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs and will face the Tampa Bay Lightning, Fluto and I will do our best to provide the best hockey coverage in the market.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Joe McDonald has started at The Athletic and he makes it sound he is overjoyed to be away from Bedard as he does not mention BSJ in his resume.

Joe McDonald: Bringing passion for hockey to an All-Star...

My professional career began in 1992 at nation’s oldest daily newspaper, the Providence Journal. I spent 18 years at the paper and it was an incredible experience. It started in the circulation department and concluded as the No. 1 Red Sox beat writer. I never thought it would end. I imagined I would spend my entire career at the Journal and that was just fine with me.

When ESPN came calling in 2009, it took months before I finally decided to make the jump to ESPNBoston.com to cover the Bruins and Red Sox in 2010. In 2014, I became a national hockey writer for ESPN.com.

It was exactly one year ago today when ESPN decided to gut its writing staff, specifically in the hockey department. That company’s loss has become The Athletic’s gain and I can’t stress enough how thrilled I am to be here.

Now that the Bruins have advanced to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs and will face the Tampa Bay Lightning, Fluto and I will do our best to provide the best hockey coverage in the market.
I know nothing about Bedard but I've liked McDonald's writing for a long time and he's the only reason I subscribed to BSJ. Guess I can cancel that now. :)

Reactions: Alicat

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
why does he sound overjoyed? He was only at BSJ for a few months and would have had to spend another three sentences explaining it. Hes also a competitor now

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The more time passes that Bedard seems to be a pain. Didn’t I read here a couple of months ago on F&M that they were ribbing him a little and he proceeded to slam his laptop shut and sit there in silence like a little brat holding his breath til he turned blue?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Louie DeBrusk will be on Dale and Keefe tomorrow afternoon, trying to find the time

Also,

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bedard addresses the Bruins coverage

BSJ Daily Briefing 04.26.18: Bruins advance, Celtics Game 6, Sox win, NFL Draft, Change on B's | Boston Sports Journal

Change on BSJ Bruins beat

As some of you may already be aware, last night's game was Joe McDonald's last for us here at BSJ, as he took another opportunity. We thank Joe for his work at BSJ and we wish him and his family well.

Is this ideal for BSJ? Of course it's not, in the middle of a playoff run. I would have liked to have seen him finish out the season for us, but it is what it is. People come and go from media companies for whatever reason all the time, and we're no different than anyone else. But like the Patriots losing some of their players this offseason in free agency, we'll make adjustments, move on and field a team that we believe will compete. Nothing changes for us, and we expect to continue to bring you the type of Bruins coverage you deserve in a style that is uniquely BSJ.

We're pleased that Anthony Gulizia, who is no stranger to the Boston sports scene and, especially, the Bruins, will be joining BSJ for the stretch run. Anthony has been a long-time contributor to the Globe's Bruins coverage (dating back to the 2013 Cup run), and he has the respect of the coaches and players. A veteran beat writer, Anthony is smart, well-connected and has a thorough knowledge of how we expect things to be covered.

Anthony, who interned with the Bruins in '11, also covered the Patriots, including the team's Super Bowl win against the Seahawks, and the Redskins from 2015-16. Anthony is a Northeastern University graduate. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyGulizia.

With Anthony, myself, and Ian Moran chipping in with his fantastic analysis, it will be business as usual for BSJ on the Bruins. The plan is to ride this for a while and then, in the offseason when things settle down, to take a step back and make sure our Bruins coverage is where it needs to be for next season.

Until then, let's drop the puck and go to it.

I personally have no dog in this fight and I subscribe to both BSJ and The Athletic.

The Athletic has serious venture money behind them and their hockey coverage is excellent. They are trying to do what 'The National' did back in 1990 but was doomed because of manufacturing and circulation problems.

The Greatest Paper That Ever Died

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Not a fan of how MacDonald left the BSJ out of his introductory piece. There is a way to be professional despite whatever is going on behind the scenes.

The comments on his piece are calling him out for it which is refreshing.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The more time passes that Bedard seems to be a pain. Didn’t I read here a couple of months ago on F&M that they were ribbing him a little and he proceeded to slam his laptop shut and sit there in silence like a little brat holding his breath til he turned blue?
Yes, they were ribbing him about something, and he got all pissy about it.

I like Bedard, and he typically gives good breakdowns on the Patriots, especially with the "all-22" stuff. But for someone who's been in media as long as he has, he needs thicker skin.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Great long (~45 min) Interview with Jack Edwards on 31 Thoughts podcast last week (4/21). Covers everything from homerism and whether he’s ever been reprimanded by the team (once) to his proprietary game sheet system to “Who is Tim Thomas?”
Starts @ about 22 min in.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Reactions: sooshii

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
After hearing Minihane trash Brady then actively rooting against the bruins on yesterday’s morning show, I had to listen to Montreal radio for pro bruins talk. This guy is anti Boston 100%.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The latest ratings that showed Sports Hub in first have Kirk Minihane pretty much out of control - if ever a guy bit the hand that feeds them it's this guy. Just leave if the place sucks. His ego rivals only Eddie Andelman in my years listening to sports radio stations and no one else is really close.

He doesn't go 15 minutes when I listen without some form of threat.

I've pretty much gone over to 98.5 in the morning they have good guests and it's not a one trick pony.

It would not suprise me if there is a room in Kirk's house dedicated to Howard Stern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad