*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
Just make sure you put the blame at the feet of those who deserve it is all. Dave MacQueen had the plan, the owners didn't like the timeline. Your now back at square one.

This wouldn't surprise me in the least. When the team hired DeBeneham and they implemented the "Brick by Brick" plan along with MacQueen stockpiling picks it looked like the owners had finally gotten it right after years of trading high picks for the quick fix strategy. The fact that they turned around and just dumped that strategy was mind boggling. Even a lot of the die hard long time fans have had enough of this charade. The next few years look pretty bleak.

truestingfan

Aug 11, 2011
MacQueen, you got to be kidding! If he is that good he would be in the league. Captain Soap Opera. Ask Wally why he left!

I have had the pleasure to watch some great hockey players.

Thank you

Go Sting Go!

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
First off, want to congratulate the Sting on a great year. They got knocked out of the playoffs by the OHL Champions.

Again, the Sting were bitten by bad luck. An injury to one of the best defenceman in the league and losing the best player in the league because of the end of the lockout. The timing of both were terrible. Especially for Murphy. If the team was notified a couple of days earlier they could have been sellers.

Next year I think will be a difficult one. It will be a young team and a great learning experience for the 17 yr olds who will be the core of the team next year. If most of the kids progress the way they should, this will be a great team in a couple of years from now.

And yes, OMG, it is another rebuilding year. This is junior hockey, happens to every team every 3 to 4 years. IMO, this team is in the best shape they have been since coming to Sarnia. They aren't going to lose anybody 2 and out and they have a great group of kids to build around in Hargrave, Renaud and Addesi.

Back to back Memorial Cups in 16 and 17 :yo:

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
First off, want to congratulate the Sting on a great year. They got knocked out of the playoffs by the OHL Champions.

Again, the Sting were bitten by bad luck. An injury to one of the best defenceman in the league and losing the best player in the league because of the end of the lockout. The timing of both were terrible. Especially for Murphy. If the team was notified a couple of days earlier they could have been sellers.

Next year I think will be a difficult one. It will be a young team and a great learning experience for the 17 yr olds who will be the core of the team next year. If most of the kids progress the way they should, this will be a great team in a couple of years from now.

And yes, OMG, it is another rebuilding year. This is junior hockey, happens to every team every 3 to 4 years. IMO, this team is in the best shape they have been since coming to Sarnia. They aren't going to lose anybody 2 and out and they have a great group of kids to build around in Hargrave, Renaud and Addesi.

Back to back Memorial Cups in 16 and 17 :yo:

Well said BoxerMax!

Next year will be challenging but the remaining young talent are all hard workers so that's promising. They have plenty of players who can take the next step with more ice time so that will be fun to watch (Davis Brown, Nikandrov, Hargrave, Renaud and Goldobin).

Sarnia has also added some good depth via the draft last year in Ashley, Vendramin and Ryan White. Jeff King should be a good player in a few years time. I'm hearing they already have a Russian in mind to bring in via the import draft so lets see if they can strike gold again.

In a few years time, this team has the potential to be a strong one.

Only a few teams in the league seem to be able to avoid the rebuild and those tend to be the wealthier ones. It's unfortunate that Sarnia didn't sell at the deadline to expediate the process but that was a little bit of bad luck.

It was a fun year. Can't wait until the draft next Saturday!

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Where do you think I got my info from lol. Sometimes people are more honest with people in the league (or where in the league) with friends? Im not sure.

You may not like MacQueen, but he brought in both Galchenyuk and Yakupov among others. He had a plan and put most of the pieces that the Sting had or used in the last two years.

Its now Beaulieu time to do the same, he did it in St. Johns, so now its time for him to do it again.

You know ... i liked macqueen for the fact he did not hold grudges. He had tantrums, and swore like a sailor, and i think that was his downfall. He should have stayed GM and given up coaching. we forget who brought the two russians in, not jock.
I know why he left Saint John. And it was his control freak demeanour.

HockeyCritics

Sep 17, 2012
You know ... i liked macqueen for the fact he did not hold grudges. He had tantrums, and swore like a sailor, and i think that was his downfall. He should have stayed GM and given up coaching. we forget who brought the two russians in, not jock.
I know why he left Saint John. And it was his control freak demeanour.

What difference did they make last year in playoffs ? They would of still been gone for this year ? so what does that change in McQueen or Jocko who brought this and that, it really dont matter for next year does it . Next year is were we are looking at now cause the past is the past.Nothing can be changed.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
What difference did they make last year in playoffs ? They would of still been gone for this year ? so what does that change in McQueen or Jocko who brought this and that, it really dont matter for next year does it . Next year is were we are looking at now cause the past is the past.Nothing can be changed.

absolutely nothing. Jocko was outcoached. And like the Leafs... you're right, there is always next year...

HockeyCritics

Sep 17, 2012
absolutely nothing. Jocko was outcoached. And like the Leafs... you're right, there is always next year...

so your saying if jocko was behind plymouth bench abd vs versa , it would of been same results ?? i dont think so. Plymouth have a team to go all the way.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
so your saying if jocko was behind plymouth bench abd vs versa , it would of been same results ?? i dont think so. Plymouth have a team to go all the way.

Jocko was outgunned this year for sure but i am sure that if Vellucci was behind sting bench, it would have been a different series for sure. Perhaps same finality, but my hunch is we'd still be playing. He surrounds himself with players that fit his style of play.
Last year, JB was out coached. I just don't think jb brings out the best in players... he's not a tactitian. He berates instead of praising. One thing to get mad, another thing to belabour the point. And like this, time to move on. But I am glad Ciccarelli's like his coaching. Anyway, season is over and time to enjoy the weather... til September... ciao

Last edited:

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
great year given the circumstances. This group will be much weaker next season, however, we will see our young talent on display and it gives a chance to evaluate where we stand. Our D is our strength

Renaud - Latta - Goldobin

Brown - Hargrave - Moore

Addesi - Nikandrov - ________

Carnevale - _________ - Dipaolo

DeAngelo - Duininck 'C'

Chapman - Basso

Hore - Nemecek

Barrick

Hergott

Team desperately needs to add size and grit up front and an experienced point producer could help all of the young talent as well.

HockeyCritics

Sep 17, 2012
great year given the circumstances. This group will be much weaker next season, however, we will see our young talent on display and it gives a chance to evaluate where we stand. Our D is our strength

Brown - Hargrave - Moore

DeAngelo - Duininck 'C'

Chapman - Basso

Hore - Nemecek

Barrick

Hergott

Team desperately needs to add size and grit up front and an experienced point producer could help all of the young talent as well.

I think line up will be completly different. Defense yes + King , Goalie's ?? + ??. Forward your missing a few guys from draft 2011 and 12 that should be impact guys.

Shaun Bisson

Dec 3, 2012
Sarnia
I think line up will be completly different. Defense yes + King , Goalie's ?? + ??. Forward your missing a few guys from draft 2011 and 12 that should be impact guys.

King yes, forwards up in the air, but really, Barrick is already solidified as their starter. Jacques said last week (or the week before) that he would be the "future" of the team. One would think that Hergott would be the back up, but that will be fought for at camp.

SarniaSting101

Aug 9, 2010

Who do you think will be the missing guys from the 2011 and 2012 drafts? Also, who do you think will be guarding the net if it isn't Barrick and Hergott?

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
King yes, forwards up in the air, but really, Barrick is already solidified as their starter. Jacques said last week (or the week before) that he would be the "future" of the team. One would think that Hergott would be the back up, but that will be fought for at camp.

I think your obvious bias is showing. Barrick has what, 6 starts in the OHL? How many teams go into a season with that little OHL experience spread amongst its goalies? They better get a starter.

SarniaSting101

Aug 9, 2010
I think your obvious bias is showing. Barrick has what, 6 starts in the OHL? How many teams go into a season with that little OHL experience spread amongst its goalies? They better get a starter.

Jocko did a live interview with Paul Owen of the Sarnia Observer the day before play-offs and here is what he said about Barrick:

'We look forward to the team taking Plymouth out first round! Who are you dressing for backup goalie? And looking to next year, will there be more season ticket holder/sting events?' by krissrok March 21 at 12:41 PM

"I had a discussion with Dawsy and Brodie and we decided to alternate every game..... Dawsy bailed us out when Brodie got injured and Brodie is our future"
by JB March 21 at 12:42 PM

So as you can see, it is not someone being biased, but simply stating an actual quote from the Head Coach of the team. Perhaps you have more knowledge and experience in this position than Jocko and can apply for his job when he moves on!

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
Jocko did a live interview with Paul Owen of the Sarnia Observer the day before play-offs and here is what he said about Barrick:

'We look forward to the team taking Plymouth out first round! Who are you dressing for backup goalie? And looking to next year, will there be more season ticket holder/sting events?' by krissrok March 21 at 12:41 PM

"I had a discussion with Dawsy and Brodie and we decided to alternate every game..... Dawsy bailed us out when Brodie got injured and Brodie is our future"
by JB March 21 at 12:42 PM

So as you can see, it is not someone being biased, but simply stating an actual quote from the Head Coach of the team. Perhaps you have more knowledge and experience in this position than Jocko and can apply for his job when he moves on!

The biased comment was based on the fact the poster has a connection to the player.

So are you saying that you are confident in having a starter with so little experience? How many other teams will be in this situation?

krauss72

May 5, 2010
It is going to be a very LONG year regardless. Hell JP, the goalie with the most wins in the OHL struggled to keep are team afloat with a more talented roster in front of him. Pack your patience for sure. For some reason that old brick by brick idea doesn't look like such a bad model after all.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
The biased comment was based on the fact the poster has a connection to the player.

So are you saying that you are confident in having a starter with so little experience? How many other teams will be in this situation?

Connection to the player or not, it was a quote from the Coach/GM/Head Scout/Restaurant Manager/Arena Manager that was posted in the local player.

I don't see the Sting going out and trading for an experience goalie. Barrick will be just fine as a starter. He would have had more starts if he didn't break his leg.

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Brown - Hargrave - Moore

DeAngelo - Duininck 'C'

Chapman - Basso

Hore - Nemecek

Barrick

Hergott

So you have quoted that our D is our strength,Does that mean we have strong d or just our D is going to be better than the offence.Our D struggled this year with JP bailing them out numerous times.With goaltending questionable or at least not to a JP standard and with the returnees on D,Are we not going to have a long year.Just my thoughts

Sempron

May 12, 2010

Brown - Hargrave - Moore

DeAngelo - Duininck 'C'

Chapman - Basso

Hore - Nemecek

Barrick

Hergott

dont forget to pencil in #22 on one of the top three lines :help:

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Very long

You might as well throw barrick in... with what is in front of him, it wouldn't matter if luongo was in net...
As for D...basso, nemecek probably won't be back...Even Dunnick or tony D as possiblities to be missing...
Next year is a learning experience. It won't matter who Igo brings in, we will face more than our share of tribulations. I think we're looking at an 18 win season...if that.
And don't lay the blame at JP's feet. He did more than his share. Too bad others did not pull the weight.

HockeyCritics

Sep 17, 2012
Who do you think will be the missing guys from the 2011 and 2012 drafts? Also, who do you think will be guarding the net if it isn't Barrick and Hergott?

Hergott will not be in the mix from what i've been told. They have a couple of goalies that are better with experience from the last 2 drafts . Hergott could not make any jr level last summer. Sitting out half the season did not help him either im sure.

HockeyCritics

Sep 17, 2012
You might as well throw barrick in... with what is in front of him, it wouldn't matter if luongo was in net...
As for D...basso, nemecek probably won't be back...Even Dunnick or tony D as possiblities to be missing...
Next year is a learning experience. It won't matter who Igo brings in, we will face more than our share of tribulations. I think we're looking at an 18 win season...if that.
And don't lay the blame at JP's feet. He did more than his share. Too bad others did not pull the weight.

I think all those boys will be back. our D will be our strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad