Line Combos: Official Lines Thread

Thesensation19*

I have a feeling kristo makes it out of camp for a starting roster

Thesensation19*

I don't really get why Kristo is projected to play in the NHL by so many of you, his 9 game stint in the AHL seems to have been lacklustre at best. Guess it's the new toy syndrome.. Callahan is not a third line player and should play on the second line

He came from playing a full year in the NCAA to then play on a new team, late in the year with a new coach and a new system and new teammates.

In 9 games, he registered 3 assists. Only 2 PIM. I like the 2 PIM as his style of play and 3 assists is not too shabby. I def see him being a regular NHL player.

JackDalton

Jun 2, 2013
He came from playing a full year in the NCAA to then play on a new team, late in the year with a new coach and a new system and new teammates.

In 9 games, he registered 3 assists. Only 2 PIM. I like the 2 PIM as his style of play and 3 assists is not too shabby. I def see him being a regular NHL player.

His season in the NCAA was good, however that does not necessarily translate to the NHL. I'm not saying he can't play in the NHL but I'm against handing out roster spots based on expectations alone. If the kid has a good camp and preseason give him a chance, especially with hags and cally most likely out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan (Top Checking Duties, defensive zone starts)
Kreider-Richards-Nash (Favorable offensive zone mins)
Pouliott-Brassard-Kristo (Favorable offensive zone mins)
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett (Defensive zone start line, secondary checking duties against teams with depth scoring)

Miller, Lindberg, Powe filling in on occasion.

Mikos, I really like your thinking and it's perfectly possible that we will end up with a lineup balanced as yours.

Especially with Cally and co becoming the so called "third line" in terms of checking responsibility while being the second line in terms of ice time.

Depth and durability is this teams strength and it's hard to see how we can build two top heavy lines that can carry us offensively.

In the end, I do like the depth we have and competition we will have for so many positions. It's the top line and PP that worry me.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I fear that any 3rd line we try to construct will appear "soft" because we have 3 soft centers, plus Pouliot is pretty notorious for shying away from contact.

There is no way around it.

Here would be my opening night line-up (assuming Callahan and Hagelin will not be ready):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Pyatt-Richards-Kristo/Miller
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Powe, Asham

Looks awful.

When they are back:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Richards-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Pyatt, Powe, Asham

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There is no way around it.

Here would be my opening night line-up (assuming Callahan and Hagelin will not be ready):

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Richards-Kristo/Miller
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Powe, Asham

Looks awful.

When they are back:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Pyatt, Powe, Asham

Im not sure how good Pouliot is defensively, but I think you're going to need to put Callahan on a line with either Kreider or Zuccarello (probably Kreider since hes a LW).

Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello couldnt scare me more when it comes to defense.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The lineup without Callahan and Hagelin looks AWFUL. The first 10 games, all on the road and without those two, are going to be huge for this team.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Looking at all the proposed lineups, it's hard to disguise the fact that this team is a little soft and there aren't a lot of two-way forwards up and down the roster. The Rangers are going to have to field at least one line that has the potential to get pushed around a bit and get pinned in their own zone, unfortunately.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Im not sure how good Pouliot is defensively, but I think you're going to need to put Callahan on a line with either Kreider or Zuccarello (probably Kreider since hes a LW).

True. But Pouliot-Richards-Zuccarello isn't good either. The Rangers ave (3) good top-9 defensive forwards. Callahan, Hagelin, Stepan. Hagelin and Stepan have good chemistry with Nash. One of the other lines is going to be weak defensively unless they move Dorsett or Boyle up to help add some defensive awareness.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Looking at all the proposed lineups, it's hard to disguise the fact that this team is a little soft and there aren't a lot of two-way forwards up and down the roster. The Rangers are going to have to field at least one line that has the potential to get pushed around a bit and get pinned in their own zone, unfortunately.

Yep. Maybe they can make a bit of a puck possession line with the Brassard and Zuccarello tandem. Hard to gauge.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yep. Maybe they can make a bit of a puck possession line with the Brassard and Zuccarello tandem. Hard to gauge.

Eh, I dunno.

Kind of hard to play a puck possession game when you're getting manhandled. I could see Brassard/Zuccarello being modestly successful on the rush, but I don't think they have the physical attributes to consistently possess the puck in the offensive zone. Guess what Im saying is I'd keep these two away from each other.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Eh, I dunno.

Kind of hard to play a puck possession game when you're getting manhandled. I could see Brassard/Zuccarello being modestly successful on the rush, but I don't think they have the physical attributes to consistently possess the puck in the offensive zone. Guess what Im saying is I'd keep these two away from each other.

They played very well together at the end of the season though.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Or keep them together since they seemed to develop some chemistry last year and pair them with Cally. Z can play lw.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
MZA-Brassard-Callshan
Kreider-Richards-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Yeah that's what I'm saying. Brass is pretty neutral defensively, IMO, so he needs at least 1 W who can play some D. We don't know if Beav is gonna rebound this year (by rebound, I mean 'not suck'), or if he'll be just as bad as, if not worse than, last year.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Boyle-Brassard-Zucc
Pouliot-Richards-Dorsett
Pyatt-Moore-Miller

Just to hold down the fort until Cally/Hags return.

Last edited:

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
With the forward corps we have, the way I'd construct our lines would be top-9 and a defensive/checking line. That could either be done in a 1-2a-2b manner, or a more balanced A-B-C.

1-2a-2b:

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Kid/Pyatt-Brassard-Zuccarello
Pyatt/Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

A-B-C:

Pouliot-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Richards-Kid/Pyatt/Boyle
Zuccarello-Brassard-Callahan

With injuries we either have to go 1-2-3-KIDS!, or A-B-C.

1-2-3-KIDS!:

Richards-Stepan-Nash
Kid/Pyatt-Kid/Moore-Kid

The kid line would obviously get very sheltered minutes.

A-B-C:

Kid-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Richards-Kid
Kid/Pyatt-Brassard-Zuccarello

More balance, but one or two kids really have to show that they belong. Fortunately, we have a ton of kids that may or may not be ready that all have top-6 potential.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Lineup looks brutal without Callahan/Hags. Our D and Hank are going to have to come up huge. Hopefully at least one of Lindberg/Fasth/Kristo/Miller surprises. Can Brassard play wing? Lindberg looked very good defensively at the world championships. Maybe he shows he belongs in training camp and then he can either play wing (doubtful) or center with Brassard if he can play wing. It's a leap of faith, but crazier things have happened. Not thrilled with throwing him right into the top 6 but I'd really like a defensive presence on that line.

I'm not going to count on Richards bouncing back. IMO he can either really drag down this roster or give us one of the strongest forward groups down the middle in the east.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Lindberg?-Brassard-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Richards-Fasth/Miller/Kristo
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

Pyatt sucks. Get him off this team.

As I'm typing this I think we might be better off swapping Lindberg and Boyle. Boyle played with Brassard and Zucc in the playoffs and had success. Also forces Richards to get going otherwise he will have a kid replace him on the 3rd line. Confident Lindberg can handle 4th line minutes as of right now. Not sure about Fasth/Miller/Kristo on the 3rd.

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Boyle-Brassard-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Richards-Fasth/Miller/Kristo
Moore-Lindberg-Dorsett

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad