Line Combos: Official Lines Thread

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
my questions is who plays 2nd pair RD if no Dman is moved

Is it Moore sliding over? DZ doesnt look comfortable. Maybe Staal because of his eye?

As for Forwards heck if I know. I dont think Sather is done. A trade will come. We saw one with Perron yesterday. Something like that

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
my questions is who plays 2nd pair RD if no Dman is moved

Is it Moore sliding over? DZ doesnt look comfortable. Maybe Staal because of his eye?

As for Forwards heck if I know. I dont think Sather is done. A trade will come. We saw one with Perron yesterday. Something like that

Stralman?

Staal-Stralman as the 2nd pairing is perfectly fine with me

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
A healthy team?

Kreider - Stepan - Nash
Kristo - Brassard - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Richards - Callahan
Pouliot - Moore - Dorsett

McD - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
MDZ - Moore

If AV really wants a 2-way 3rd line, having defensive players like Hags and Cally flanking Richards in my opinion makes the most sense.

Pyatt, Powe and Boyle gotta go.

Keep Asham for the more physical match-ups. Can rotate him in for Kristo or Pouliot

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Do you feel satisfied with the depth the Rangers have put together? I certainly do. The last few years they have gone with the "shiny new toy" approach with the signings of Richards/Gaborik and trade for Nash. This year they hang onto the kids (Miller, Hrivik, Lindberg, Fast, [trade for] Kristo) and sign versatile depth guys with a decent amount of skill in Moore and Pouliot. When training camp hits , AV will have a good look at all of these guys when it comes to putting together his lineup.

Centermen
Derek Stepan
Derick Brassard
Brad Richards
Dominic Moore
Brian Boyle
Oscar Lindberg
J.T. Miller

Wingers
Rich Nash
Chris Kreider
Ryan Callahan
Carl Hagelin
Mats Zuccarello
Beniot Pouliot
Taylor Pyatt
Derek Dorsett
Danny Kristo
Jesper Fast
Marek Hrivik
Ryan Bourque
Michael Haley
(Miller)
(Boyle)
(Lindberg)

When it comes time for AV to decide the group of 12 he wants to come at the league with, there are a ton of options. I think there is a legitimate contending offense out of this group and AV will be able to pick it out.

That offensive group will hook up with, for my money, the best defensive corps in the league and the best goaltender.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Zucarello
Miller/Kreider-Richards-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

or

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Zuccarello-Brassard-Callahan
Pouliot-Richards-Fasth/Kristo
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Strålman
Moore-Del Zotto

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ii think you guys might be slightly over analyzing the AV quote about what he wants from his lines. I don't expect to see Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello as a third line, but beyond that it won't be an absolute thing I'd imagine.

JackDalton

Jun 2, 2013
I don't really get why Kristo is projected to play in the NHL by so many of you, his 9 game stint in the AHL seems to have been lacklustre at best. Guess it's the new toy syndrome.. Callahan is not a third line player and should play on the second line

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Frequently, when a player signs in the AHL after 4 years of NCAA, they are bouncing back and forth between exams and games. Not a lot of training time, a lot of driving. Don't know if Kristo got any special treatment, but short AHL stints in the senior year are not a good point to make.

I love Flanagan, but if AHL stints are an indication he's a better prospect than Kristo, which I don't honestly believe is the case.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don't really get why Kristo is projected to play in the NHL by so many of you, his 9 game stint in the AHL seems to have been lacklustre at best. Guess it's the new toy syndrome.. Callahan is not a third line player and should play on the second line

Yeah, perhaps there's an outside chance if he plays well in camp and they need a placeholder until Hagelin and Cally return. But he should be in CT for at least a few months.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Ii think you guys might be slightly over analyzing the AV quote about what he wants from his lines. I don't expect to see Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello as a third line, but beyond that it won't be an absolute thing I'd imagine.

Indeed. Richards and Brassard are purely offensive centers; put them in a defensive role and you are just asking for trouble. Starting Stepan in the defensive zone and giving him 3rd line minutes is huge waste of his potential and production, especially right in the middle of his evolution into a top center and PPG player. I can see one of two things happening.

1. Shift Richards over to the wing and let him focus on creating offense. I believe he spent a good amount of time on the wing in Tampa and it should not be foreign to him.

2. Go with 3 scoring lines and try to build the Rangers into an offense-first squad that relies more on the talents of the individual players on defense rather than the smothering system they are used to.

Personally, I'd like to see them go with the second option. I just think there is so much untapped offensive talent on the Rangers that can be unleashed. I'm not saying they'll be the Penguins or the 2009-10 Capitals, but can the Rangers resemble a Flyers team that knows how to play defense, is somewhat more defensively minded, and has a goalie that can come up with a big save? I say "certainly" and I think it's a winning formula. Can't come up with prospective lines because AV has got to figure out what works first. Maybe Kristo blows everyone away in camp ala Stepan in 2010? Maybe Hrivik/Fast/Lindberg are NHL ready? Hell... maybe Richards turns out to be completely useless and he rides the press box?

JackDalton

Jun 2, 2013
Frequently, when a player signs in the AHL after 4 years of NCAA, they are bouncing back and forth between exams and games. Not a lot of training time, a lot of driving. Don't know if Kristo got any special treatment, but short AHL stints in the senior year are not a good point to make.

I love Flanagan, but if AHL stints are an indication he's a better prospect than Kristo, which I don't honestly believe is the case.

You could be right, but I still think it is to early to hand him a position in the line up. He needs to prove his worth in camp and preseason

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, perhaps there's an outside chance if he plays well in camp and they need a placeholder until Hagelin and Cally return. But he should be in CT for at least a few months.

Stepan came to the Rangers off a fantastic final season in the WCHA. 41gp - 12g - 40a. Kristo is coming off a senior year where he put up 40gp - 26g - 26a, 3rd in the NCAA in scoring, and a First Team All-Star selection.

You give him a real shot. I'm not going to pass any judgment on 9 games in the AHL, I don't care if he put up 0 pts or 30.

I tend to think Rangers management are trying to win now and they feel that he is ready, making a prospect like Thomas, who is a couple years away, expendable if it means a prospect like Kristo, who might very well be good to go now.

Punxrocknyc19*

If Hags and Callahan miss the start of the year I'm expecting Kristo Hrivik and Yogan to get long looks to start year.. I expect Miller and Iindberg to make roster out of camp.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
as of this moment?

hagelin-stepan-callahan
kreider-brassard-nash
pouliot-richards-zucc
boyle-moore-dorsett

miller/kristo/lindberg/fast can force there way onto the roster with a great camp (and first couple of weeks before hags/callahan return).

Kris Chreider

Pass Off The Pads
Aug 17, 2012
NYC/Minneapolis

IIRC, Callahan is 2nd in PP goals since 2008, behind Ovechkin. Obviously, Callahan is not 2nd in total goals scored since 2008, which means a disproportionate amount of his offense comes on special teams, where he's extremely effective. At ES, he's usually trying to dangle through the entire team. Torts used him as one of our top forwards at ES, when he's really not.

Pominville played on the third line for Minnesota, it's just a matter of balancing out the scoring. It's not like he'll be banished to the bottom six never to get significant playing time a la Kreider, he'll get 1st special team duties.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
as of this moment?

hagelin-stepan-callahan
kreider-brassard-nash
pouliot-richards-zucc
boyle-moore-dorsett

miller/kristo/lindberg/fast can force there way onto the roster with a great camp (and first couple of weeks before hags/callahan return).

brassard and Nash have not played well together.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Hopefully Kreider can take Hag's spot opposite of Nash with Stepan in the middle, because Richards has played his best hockey as a Ranger IMO when Hagelin was on his lines.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan (Top Checking Duties, defensive zone starts)
Kreider-Richards-Nash (Favorable offensive zone mins)
Pouliott-Brassard-Kristo (Favorable offensive zone mins)
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett (Defensive zone start line, secondary checking duties against teams with depth scoring)

Miller, Lindberg, Powe filling in on occasion.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
IIRC, Callahan is 2nd in PP goals since 2008, behind Ovechkin. Obviously, Callahan is not 2nd in total goals scored since 2008, which means a disproportionate amount of his offense comes on special teams, where he's extremely effective. At ES, he's usually trying to dangle through the entire team. Torts used him as one of our top forwards at ES, when he's really not.

Pominville played on the third line for Minnesota, it's just a matter of balancing out the scoring. It's not like he'll be banished to the bottom six never to get significant playing time a la Kreider, he'll get 1st special team duties.

He's like 17th.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett (Defensive zone start line, secondary checking duties against teams with depth scoring)

I actually think these lines make sense, but where is Zucc? you think Rangers trade him? last I knew we can't walk away from his deal if its under a certain amount in arbitration (forgot what it was)

Bardof425*

Based on what we have today I would slide Zucc in with Brassard and Pouliot move Kristo out. I think there will be more changes before camp, but if not I agree mostly with your lines.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
To start the season:

Kreider - Richards - Nash
Miller/Pyatt - Stepan - Kristo
Pouliot - Brassard - Zucc
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Ugh looks pretty bad.

Once Hags/Cally come back:

Kreider - Richards - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Pouliot - Brassard - Zucc
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Still not great but not terrible. A lot of guys are gonna have to step up if this team wants to go far.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad