OT: Official HFCaps STAR WARS Episode 7 Discussion (Warning: may contain E7 spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
I feel like my main problem with the movie was that the developmental stages were very lazy and rushed so that the action scenes could be prolonged. Ren's internal conflict comes out of nowhere and disappears just as quickly.

And how the hell does he, a supposedly powerful Sith apprentice, lose to somebody who's holding a lightsabre for the FIRST ****ING TIME?
Well he was shot by chewy and facing a pretty pissed off woman

I think you could tell she wasn't that skilled, ren even says she needs training. Think she was just really motivated by Han.

Sep 19, 2008
Are there a lot of minor things people could nitpick over? Yes.

For instance, it didn't seem that the countdown was running properly. "Two minutes until launch." Yet the whole Solo - Ren scene took a lot more than that, it seemed. Other than that everything seemed minor.

If you just enjoy the movie and don't worry about the trivial little details it's a very, very good film. I had skipped over 2 and 3 because 1 was so terribly awful. I have no intention of seeing them and I am not that big a Star Wars fan. I am as casual a fan as you can get. But I really enjoyed 7 because the cameos played a huge part in the film, they weren't there just to be seen for a glimpse, like THERE'S HAN SOLO IN A 5 SECOND SHORT! They all had very important pieces in the plot.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I walked out of the theater entertained and wanting to see Episode VIII. In that sense, it was good. The movie served its purpose.

It is definitely not a "very, very good film." Not even close. It's pretty much functionally like Jurassic World or any other nostalgia cash cow. It was a glorified reboot of the original trilogy, that was afraid to break any new ground. The movie is essentially a series of winks and nods towards moments from the original trilogy. The plot moves beyond inspiration into full-on copy/paste of Episode IV. The new characters, as likable as they may be, are one dimensional. Heck, as begrudged as Jar Jar Binks was for being pure comic relief, you'd think Abrams would have kept away from similar characters. Yet Finn is almost the same thing minus the CGI, stupid accent, and stepping in bantha dung. The only aspect of the film truly worthy of praise are the visuals, the rest is mediocre-to-poor.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Well he was shot by chewy and facing a pretty pissed off woman

I think you could tell she wasn't that skilled, ren even says she needs training. Think she was just really motivated by Han.

I know it's nitpicking, but two things... First, Ren may have been hurt, but he was apparently healthy enough to somehow get out of that facility, track Finn and Rey, and then circle around them to ambush them. Frankly, I don't know how he could've done that even if he hadn't been shot. Second, Rey had just been force slammed into a tree, fell 20 feet, and was unconscious for, what, a minute? I think it's debatable whether she or Ren was more banged up at that point. Certainly wasn't a huge advantage for Rey.

Sort of unrelated, but in thinking about that scene... what the **** was everyone doing there? So I guess Finn and Rey were heading to the Millennium Falcon, but if they were going in the right direction, where was Chewie? He shouldn't have been far behind them, he was somewhere between them and Ren. Somehow you had Rey and Finn heading towards the Falcon, Chewie behind them, and Ren behind him, but none of them saw each other until Ren had passed Chewie and ambushed Rey and Finn, and then Chewie avoided that fight and got to the Falcon? And on a planet sized base, the spot where they landed the Falcon, the shield facility, and the power oscillator thing, are all in such close proximity that all this could happen in 15 minutes? Am I crazy, or does that whole final battle just make no sense?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You pretty much have to accept the fifteen minute timer ran on Dragonball Z time. And that the planet took a while to collapse.

Sep 19, 2008
You pretty much have to accept the fifteen minute timer ran on Dragonball Z time. And that the planet took a while to collapse.

If everyone wants to nitpick on something, you can nitpick on that timer which seemed to go on too long. The only complaint. They ran all the way out of the base, had a large fight in the snow, and managed to escape all within 2 minutes :laugh:

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I came across this thread after coming in here to read about Mike Richards and just wanted to say that's it's possible that Kylo Ren didn't want to kill Rey because when they were face to face he tells her to let him show her the ways of the force but then kind of underestimates her and almost gets killed himself.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I know this is a huge bump, but I went and saw the movie for a second time tonight and have a new theory on Rey so here it goes:

Rey is "The Chosen One" or the prophet they talk about in the prequel trilogy when they reference Anakin. She is very similar to Anakin in a lot of ways and is able to use the force a lot quicker than any other Jedi we have encountered in any of the films. Yoda even says in the prequels that "A prophecy that misread could have been" when talking to Obi Wan about Anakin. The prophecy also mentions that "The Chosen One" will show up at a time when the force needs balance. I can't think of a better time as Luke has failed with Kylo Ren and has grown older.

The prophecy thing also could run along the whole "Luke's in search of the original Jedi temple" theory that I believe Leia talks about in the film. Or I could be completely wrong and Rey is Luke's/Han's daughter or Obi Wan's granddaughter but that just seems too obvious and I don't see Obi Wan or Luke breaking the Jedi code by having a wife or kid.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Anakin brought balance to the force when he cast Palpatine into the Death Star. Or he did until Snoke was introduced, anyway.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

I've seen that theory thrown around but apparently Snoke is a completely new character never seen before in previous movies. I've also saw theories saying Snoke is Palpatine's old master, Darth Plagueis.

Last edited by a moderator:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Folks, this is a spoiler-enabled discussion for E7, not any future movies based on books that are out there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My bad. Didn't realize fan theories from Reddit (where I got my information about Snoke) were considered spoilers for E8.

They come from SW books, not theories out of the blue posted on Reddit.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
They come from SW books, not theories out of the blue posted on Reddit.

All those things are no longer canon anyways. They're just fan fiction and non of the fan fiction was accurate for episode 7 (well maybe some, even a broken clock blah blah blah... the point is these things are no longer relevant).

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
FWIW, Lucas Arts permitted the "expanded universe" to exist, but none of it was ever truly canon. Lucas overwrote tons of the EU with the prequel trilogy, and was upset about being pressure to keep the name of the capital world Coruscant to not piss off EU fanboys.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
All those things are no longer canon anyways. They're just fan fiction and non of the fan fiction was accurate for episode 7 (well maybe some, even a broken clock blah blah blah... the point is these things are no longer relevant).

FWIW, Lucas Arts permitted the "expanded universe" to exist, but none of it was ever truly canon. Lucas overwrote tons of the EU with the prequel trilogy, and was upset about being pressure to keep the name of the capital world Coruscant to not piss off EU fanboys.

Regardless of what's official and what isn't, it's potential source material that's beyond simple movie-based speculation, in a series that appears to draw off that written material in some way.

Let's leave it out of this discussion (which should peter out anyway). There's probably an appropriate thread in the Entertainment forum if hardcore fans want to talk canon vs movies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

and Disney then disregarded the expanded universe completley.

edit: just saw your post g00n, sorry. Not sure why we can't talk Star Wars on the Star Wars thread, but whatever.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
and Disney then disregarded the expanded universe completley.

edit: just saw your post g00n, sorry. Not sure why we can't talk Star Wars on the Star Wars thread, but whatever.

It's more theorizing than spoiling...but whatever.

I turned posts in the OT thread into a separate thread specifically for spoilers for THIS movie. If people want to speculate based on what they saw in the movie, fine. Bringing in items from existing SW story lines is beyond the scope of this spoiler thread, because it presumes people in here have seen the movie we're talking about, NOT the books and other stuff.

but whatever :laugh: title changed to remove this apparent confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad