Official: Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor on August 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have a few dumb friends that have been texting me all week that Conor will win.

Time to collect their money.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The only real question here is, how long will Floyd string Conor along with him? His defense was good enough to string along some of the fastest and most accurate hands in the business for full 12 rounds. Even an old(er) version of Floyd should be able to easily carry Conor for as long as he wants. I could legitimately see Conor dropping from sheer exhaust Floyd can put on him.

I guess anything can happen but I just can't see how this match could be anything but play-time for Mayweather and "punch me in the face and give me some money" for McGregor.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You brought up Duffy being a better boxer, but omitted the fact he was a professional boxer at one point. You also seemed to be lamenting the fact that nobody knows who is is, and acted like people should just because he beat McGregor. I pointed out that it was 7 years ago and that it wasn't Duffy beating him with his stand up game, as well as his history as a boxer, and why he didn't get a bigger push from UFC and become a more known guy simply for context. The way it read, you said he was a better boxer and then mentioned the win, as if it was due to his superior boxing skills. It wasn't. It was a submission, and very early in their careers.

Question for you though. If they were to fight now, do you think Duffy would still win?

No, I wasn't saying people should know who he is, or that he deserves to fight Mayweather or anything like that. My point was just to show how non-competitive this fight is - that Conor isn't even the best boxer in his division in the UFC.. and now he's fighting the best in the world. This isn't some transcendent boxer in the UFC, he wouldn't even win a boxing tournament among UFC fighters. It's just added amusement that the best boxer has beat Conor in MMA.

Duffy v Conor now? Conor MMA, Duffy Boxing.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I don't see this being anything but a circus... but I've learned to not doubt McGregor. So I'll just wait and see how it plays out.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
No, I wasn't saying people should know who he is, or that he deserves to fight Mayweather or anything like that. My point was just to show how non-competitive this fight is - that Conor isn't even the best boxer in his division in the UFC.. and now he's fighting the best in the world. This isn't some transcendent boxer in the UFC, he wouldn't even win a boxing tournament among UFC fighters. It's just added amusement that the best boxer has beat Conor in MMA.

Strictly boxing, I think Nate Diaz could box Conor up as well, those leg kicks go a long way.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Mayweather will play with him and end the fight when he wants to. I really want to bet first round KO but I have a feeling he is just going to mess with Connor for a few rounds to humiliate him a bit.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I have a few dumb friends that have been texting me all week that Conor will win.

Time to collect their money.

lol if someone bets even money on Connor, they're the dumbest people on the planet. I'd drop a couple bucks on him, just for the fun payout, but if you offered me Mayweather at even odds, I'd bet the farm.

I don't think Mayweather will get a traditional knock out, but I could see Mcgregor getting so outclassed and gassed, he just gives up half-way through.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Yeah, I'd agree with that. No chance they'd box though, as both are MMA guys at this point.

Still would have loved to see a two fight agreement with Mayweather and McGregor. First fight as strictly boxing, second one as MMA. The problem being that while most MMA guys would be willing to box, the vast majority of boxers are too ***** to fight MMA.

member 51464

Wait, what weight are they fighting at?

What if Conor played a completely defensive game?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah, I'd agree with that. No chance they'd box though, as both are MMA guys at this point.

Still would have loved to see a two fight agreement with Mayweather and McGregor. First fight as strictly boxing, second one as MMA. The problem being that while most MMA guys would be willing to box, the vast majority of boxers are too ***** to fight MMA.

I heard an idea of 9 rounds boxing followed by 3 rounds MMA. Forces Floyd to be more aggressive because he's in trouble later on. Also keeps the excitement going all fight.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
At the very least, the press conferences and the 24/7 lead ups should be very enjoyable.

Completely forgot about the 24/7s ... Always enjoyed those and they should be pretty awesome if they do them for this fight.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Wait, what weight are they fighting at?

What if Conor played a completely defensive game?

It's 154 lbs. It was suggested by McGregor team and they were surprised that Mayweather did not contest them on it but just simply agreed to it. I suspect the biggest reason for that is to get the 10oz. gloves. I heard a lot of talk that Mayweather wanted the 10oz. gloves over 8oz. cause he fears McGregor's force but I don't buy it. I suspect he wants heavier gloves to protect his hands which are reportedly more fragile than ever.

As for the defensive game, it's not really all that good game-plan fro McGregor. He's facing one of the greatest defensive boxers in the history of the game and Floyd has superb right counter strike and his stamina is off the charts. McGregor won't be able to bait Mayweather by defense. They'll both just start running and that game will end McGregor in less than 4 rounds. He just simply does not possess the stamina to dance with Floyd.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I heard an idea of 9 rounds boxing followed by 3 rounds MMA. Forces Floyd to be more aggressive because he's in trouble later on. Also keeps the excitement going all fight.

Now that would have been really cool. One fight but a hybrid kind of one. Love the idea, but again, no boxer would take that deal because once it crossed over to mma, they'd get caved in within a few minutes.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Now that would have been really cool. One fight but a hybrid kind of one. Love the idea, but again, no boxer would take that deal because once it crossed over to mma, they'd get caved in within a few minutes.

On surface it sounds somewhat interesting, but 9 rounds is more than enough for Floyd to end the match if he has to.

When it comes to MMA, boxer can still drop the opponent before they can take the match to ground or use kicks. Obviously boxer will lose 95/100 if they go with MMA rules, but there still is some degree of chance for the boxer to land one or two heavy hits and end the match before things go south.

I can't figure out a way to make this even match. Both guys are on so odd waters with their opponents rules. I sincerely think it's just a gimmick.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
On surface it sounds somewhat interesting, but 9 rounds is more than enough for Floyd to end the match if he has to.

When it comes to MMA, boxer can still drop the opponent before they can take the match to ground or use kicks. Obviously boxer will lose 95/100 if they go with MMA rules, but there still is some degree of chance for the boxer to land one or two heavy hits and end the match before things go south.

I can't figure out a way to make this even match. Both guys are on so odd waters with their opponents rules. I sincerely think it's just a gimmick.

Yeah, anything is possible. I just think that MMA fighters are used to taking bigger shots than most boxers can deliver, given the smaller gloves in mma, ass well as the feet, knees, and elbows they get hit with regularly. So I discount a lot of the boxers abilities to honestly throw something hard enough to really damage a good MMA fighter, if that makes sense. And to that point, it would have to be more of a TKO from cumulative shots than an actual KO, and I think most good MMA fighters could weather the storm for 9 rounds before getting to the mma portion of it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah, anything is possible. I just think that MMA fighters are used to taking bigger shots than most boxers can deliver, given the smaller gloves in mma, ass well as the feet, knees, and elbows they get hit with regularly. So I discount a lot of the boxers abilities to honestly throw something hard enough to really damage a good MMA fighter, if that makes sense. And to that point, it would have to be more of a TKO from cumulative shots than an actual KO, and I think most good MMA fighters could weather the storm for 9 rounds before getting to the mma portion of it.

Yeah, this is just speculation. Not sure about how much MMA fighters can take shots on head compared to boxers. Elite boxers tend to have heavier hits and they take a lot of them compared to MMA fighters who can go several matches in a row without taking a single blow to the head.

Ultimately, I think both sports are interesting as they are and there's no need for this kind of gimmicks. But from McGregor's POV, I 100% understand. He's about to make more money in one night than he could in two UFC careers. As for Mayweather, he's always been a money hog and this is as easy of a payday as possible. But his 50-0 record doesn't really seem legit after this match. He's still the greatest boxer of this generation and one of the greatest ever. My opinion of him as a person is quite low, but as a boxer he's the elite of the elite.

McGregor is on his way to become the first and only true mega star of the MMA world and that's pretty cool. His story (even if the guy is almost as obnoxious as Floyd) is cool and I respect the hell out of his abilities and determination.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I agree that it probably would have been more competitive. There are some semi-big old boxers gunning for some payday after retirement in MMA and they actually don't make a joke of themselves. Mayweather possibly could hold the fight up for a short period and the difference on their feet could be enough to end the fight on instant. Just think about Mayweather with UFC gloves landing one good punch on MgGregor (or anyone for that matter). :laugh:

But that doesn't really even matter. There is no way camp McGregor can even get the negotiation to start with the premise of fighting Mayweather with MMA rules.

I hear they're making 100M per fighter and from McGregor's POV that's the kind of money that's hard to turn down. Just take the payday and pray that the Formula 1 crashes. Either way, he just set his family for generations to come. Not bad for one fight.

I believe that this is exactly where the chance of McGregor lies ... small gloves and the strategy that goes with.

will see ;-)

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I just see Mayweather toying with Conor for the first 8 rounds or so and then being more aggressive. Also, Conor is going to have adjust his stance tremendously for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad