Speculation: Official Fantasy Trade Offers/Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Must be fun to be a Nashville fan right now.
And most are just hoping to finish bottom 5 to land a generational talent to take us to the next level.

Poile is becoming one of the better GM's in the league, a Cup this year or next will further cement this.
Wish Dale would start making some calls instead of swinging clubs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/poile-reflects-trades-shaped-stanley-cup-final-bound-predators/
"This might be a contradiction, but I see all the trades I’ve made and it’s not like that’s my first choice of how I want to run the team," said Poile. "If I didn’t make any trades that would be fine. If we did it all through the draft that would be awesome because those are the guys you’re closest to and know and spend the most time with.
"But there comes a time and a place where you need to improve your club and you’ve got to take chances and risks. I think this job is a big-time gamble. I don’t have any risk in my life, I’m as conservative as you can get. So this might be the risky side of my life."

Last edited:

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
And most are just hoping to finish bottom 5 to land a generational talent to take us to the next level.

Poile is becoming one of the better GM's in the league, a Cup this year or next will further cement this.

I wish there were deals to be made but I can’t see any.

I don’t wanna give up any futures like Borgstrom, Tippett, etc. and then have them become studs somewhere else. I just don’t see anything on our roster that we could trade that both, has value, and makes sense.

Getting rid of Bjugstad makes the most sense, just that value thing.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I wish there were deals to be made but I can’t see any.

I don’t wanna give up any futures like Borgstrom, Tippett, etc. and then have them become studs somewhere else. I just don’t see anything on our roster that we could trade that both, has value, and makes sense.

Getting rid of Bjugstad makes the most sense, just that value thing.

Nashville didn't really give up 1st round prospects did they? They gave up (3) high 2nd rounders, quantity for quality is possible on display tonight, just more around here cling to the draft to save the day.

We should have a 1st (top 5 protected), (2) 2nd's and prospects not named Borgstrom or Tippett in play. Nashville didn't give up Tolvanen did they?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Nashville didn't really give up 1st round prospects did they? They gave up (3) high 2nd rounders, quantity for quality is possible on display tonight, just more around here cling to the draft to save the day.

We should have a 1st (top 5 protected), (2) 2nd's and prospects not named Borgstrom or Tippett in play. Nashville didn't give up Tolvanen did they?

If we can pull off a quantity for quality trade, I’m all for it.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/poile-reflects-trades-shaped-stanley-cup-final-bound-predators/

Difference is those GMs have owners who want to spend...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Difference is those GMs have owners who want to spend...

All our core guys are on 5-8 year deals.
Yandle was signed to a long term deal
Reimer got a fairly healthy deal as a backup
Dadonov, the KHL reclamation project got a 3 year deal
Matheson got a 8 year deal!

We do have an owner that will spend, Smith and Demers were casualties of all the spending (when all these cap hits take effect together). In their eyes, Matheson, Pysyk, Petrovic and Bjugstad were more important than Marchessault, Demers and Smith.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
well to dadonov's credit hes more than worth that. and the only way anyone was getting yandle in ufa was with a max year deal.

unfortunately we have nearly 8mil spent on goaltending with nothing to show for it, average at absolute best, id absolutely argue for a bit below average (not counting niemi's caphit). i think next year will be luongo's last. his skills have been fading, his body has been breaking down, hes getting older, he has next year making a salary of 3+mil, after that its 1.5, 1, and 1, i dont see at this stage the value of him playing for that, especially since we wouldnt want him to either. unless hes going for a last cap run but that aint happening here. after that id deal reimer too, his cap hit is doable and only 3yrs left or so. go after someone either proven or a young-ish backup with a potential future like most new starters.

outside of Barkov and Trocheck down the middle, Huberdeau and Dadonov on the wings, theres nothing else of substance. mccann has the traits to be a solid 3rd line center or potentially a decent 2nd line winger. but we need legit talent to round out that top-6. we need 1, preferably 2 wingers and some depth. i think with guys like mccann, borgstrom as soon as next season, potentially guys like repo, haapala, and mamin. plus with bottom-6's being easier to acquire and sign, i wouldnt worry about that as much moving down the line as much as the top-6 help. im ok with trading the 1st (top-5 protected), tippett, and other picks and prospects if it can return a legit players. i dont like complacency to do nothing, we always pray on the young kids and by the time theyre good they dont have enough around them and either get traded or leave, draft more, repeat the cycle.

we have 4 more years of barkov and trocheck on their great deals. theres no better time than that to compete. but we wont be proactive enough, and those deals will run out, and either lose the cap space to properly add around them or lose them entirely. and repeat.

Jakeybonz2

Feb 19, 2017
the yandle contract was bad but it was understandably bad. the guy was a ufa and consistent 45-55 point scorer who never misses a game. he was going to get that money. no way around it. ekblad and mathesons contracts were just wholly unnecesary. we could've waited a year on each before paying them the maximum they could possibly have commanded even if they had perfect seasons according to their projected abilities. so why not wait, see if they regress a little due to slumps or simple bad luck and pay them less? its just unfathomable what management has done to us. I know their are some tallon fans here so I need to know what they think that the rationale was for mathesons contract. because unless he put up 50 points this year, there was no way he was going to command that kind of money. and don't forget fl has no tax so this contract is really like 5.25 mil per or so. those kind of 8 yr deals are for already really good d-men who have thoroughly proved themselves for a few yrs at the very least. this is not to mention everything else tallons ever done besides barkov. his one pure luck claim to fame as far as the panthers go. I'd love to believe he saw something in barkov over drouin and jones but everything else he's ever done leads me to go with dumb luck.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
All our core guys are on 5-8 year deals.
Yandle was signed to a long term deal
Reimer got a fairly healthy deal as a backup
Dadonov, the KHL reclamation project got a 3 year deal
Matheson got a 8 year deal!

We do have an owner that will spend, Smith and Demers were casualties of all the spending (when all these cap hits take effect together). In their eyes, Matheson, Pysyk, Petrovic and Bjugstad were more important than Marchessault, Demers and Smith.

Tallons eyes*.

Our owners don't want to spend to the cap, and it shows when we trot out such a young team. Tallon 7 years ago talked about young guys earning their spots, and then this offseason he talks about making the team younger. IMO I don't think he truly wanted to go young for all those spots, but cap space was limited. Not saying we should of added Radulov and his huge deal on top of everything, but some of those vets, like Winnick for example, who sign one year deals and are a boost to the bottom 6 + PK would of been nice.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tallons eyes*.

Our owners don't want to spend to the cap, and it shows when we trot out such a young team. Tallon 7 years ago talked about young guys earning their spots, and then this offseason he talks about making the team younger. IMO I don't think he truly wanted to go young for all those spots, but cap space was limited. Not saying we should of added Radulov and his huge deal on top of everything, but some of those vets, like Winnick for example, who sign one year deals and are a boost to the bottom 6 + PK would of been nice.

I think it's a combo of spending the right way on the right players. As much as we all loved Smith, his 5 year deal would have blocked Tippett or Borgstrom long term. The expansion draft screwed up all the long term deals we made with Smith, Pysyk and Demers.

Most of us wanted to ice a young roster and get more speed...theres bound to be hiccups with such a young roster but hopefully they see that we need some depth players like you mentioned. I feel we will spend on our drafted guys but doubtful we see another big time signing like Yandle until the team can show progress.

I'm just worried if we keep waiting for the next draft pick that Barkov, Huberdeau and Trocheck will almost be UFA's by the time we are competitive.

Reactions: ShootIt

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

We know what is next

pLq2R6.jpg

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
with lawton saying OEL might be the next big deal, for fun what we you trade to bring him in. keep in mind he only has 1yr left but any deal could be done (hypothetically) with the expectation he resigns.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
with lawton saying OEL might be the next big deal, for fun what we you trade to bring him in. keep in mind he only has 1yr left but any deal could be done (hypothetically) with the expectation he resigns.

Whatever they want short of Barkov and Huberdeau. Not even joking.

Id give Ekblad. Ideally you wanna keep Eks, but OEL is really good

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
^LOL. Listen to yourselves. He's the kind of Dman that will likely gather $8.5-$9M on his next contract from some idiot GM that somehow feels he is the missing piece. The Yotes will move him but they need help in so many areas that a one for one deal is out of the question.

The guy is elite offensively no doubt but he is in Ekblad's league defensively. Tocchet has him abandoning his best assets (skating/leading the rush) in favor of pass the puck to the first available forward before they have time to set up and then joining the rush. It remains to be seen if he can adjust his skills to this Pens style and be more like Letang. Demers is having a better year and his 23 minute TOI average per game is only 2 minutes behind OEL. He ain't coming here unless Tallon is creative enough to bring in teams to take Yandle/Ekblad off our hands for draft picks plus we give up someone like Tro. Never happen unless someone with creativity from the scouting dept gets involved. :)

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
^LOL. Listen to yourselves. He's the kind of Dman that will likely gather $8.5-$9M on his next contract from some idiot GM that somehow feels he is the missing piece. The Yotes will move him but they need help in so many areas that a one for one deal is out of the question.

The guy is elite offensively no doubt but he is in Ekblad's league defensively. Demers is having a better year and his 23 minute TOI average per game is only 2 minutes behind OEL. He ain't coming here unless Tallon is creative enough to bring in teams to take Yandle/Ekblad off our hands for draft picks plus we give up someone like Tro. Never happen unless someone with creativity from the scouting dept gets involved. :)
ive been preaching Matheson + Tippett + picks (ill throw pysyk in there too)

a ld to help replace the void, young, locked in, grow with their corp, along with a top rw prospect which is an area of need for them (couldve very likely have picked him if they idnt trade their draft pick to nyr). or they can take yandle if they want him back instead, but im guessing theyd rather go younger.

overall, wishful thinking.

curious to see what he returns if traded.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
ive been preaching Matheson + Tippett + picks (ill throw pysyk in there too)

a ld to help replace the void, young, locked in, grow with their corp, along with a top rw prospect which is an area of need for them (couldve very likely have picked him if they idnt trade their draft pick to nyr). or they can take yandle if they want him back instead, but im guessing theyd rather go younger.

overall, wishful thinking.

curious to see what he returns if traded.
Matheson has no trade value with that contract and Tippett is a 50/50 to even stick in the NHL in 2 or 3 years. I go to a few Yotes games during the season and watch some of their games on Fox Arizona when the Cats are not on. Chayka was so over his head as a GM to start out but he seems to be a quick study and is making progress. They are really getting very little out of Stepan and Dvorak as their starting top 6 centers in the goal scoring area as they are easy to shut down when there are no threats on the wing other than Keller. Domi seems more interested in distributing from the wing. Strome is centering in the AHL and he has also caught the lack of scoring bug that is going around and I'm sure they may be a little worried he will follow in his brothers footsteps.

Chayka would luv to get his hands on Tro and his shoot first mentality and leadership as a bonafide 2C , but they also need a couple of young top six RW's that can score. It will be interesting to see what GM's dangle in front Chayka to consummate a deal.

I think a combination of Ekblad/Matheson/McCann for both OEL/Hjalmarsson would do the trick and then they could trade Yandle.:dunce:

Last edited:

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
The Yotes have a bunch of other prospects which are more or less the same of what we'd be throwing at them. Besides, the less time Dale spends with the phone the better.

I think a combination of Ekblad/Matheson/McCann for both OEL/Hjalmarsson would do the trick and then they could trade Yandle.

Dale wouldn't never do that trade because "his guys" and Chayka wouldn't accept it because there's too much risk involved with Ekblad and Matheson. He got burned already once with Crouse and he's probable more wary of Dale from now on.

The best course of action is to let this team swim or sink with the current roster because quite frankly majority of them are playing below the expectations for them. It's not like that they are playing to the max and it's visible that they aren't able to elevate their play. They are just waiting for someone to win the game on their behalf and therefore I wouldn't help them in any shape of form. It's just pure laziness and inability to play the entire 60 mins. Why make any trades if all you acquire players that get tainted with the same bs attitude what this roster is carrying? When there's no consensus of who or what to blame then everything is to be blamed i.e. everything is up for grabs, rebuild the rebuild.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
The Yotes have a bunch of other prospects which are more or less the same of what we'd be throwing at them. Besides, the less time Dale spends with the phone the better.

Dale wouldn't never do that trade because "his guys" and Chayka wouldn't accept it because there's too much risk involved with Ekblad and Matheson. He got burned already once with Crouse and he's probable more wary of Dale from now on.

The best course of action is to let this team swim or sink with the current roster because quite frankly majority of them are playing below the expectations for them. It's not like that they are playing to the max and it's visible that they aren't able to elevate their play. They are just waiting for someone to win the game on their behalf and therefore I wouldn't help them in any shape of form. It's just pure laziness and inability to play the entire 60 mins. Why make any trades if all you acquire players that get tainted with the same bs attitude what this roster is carrying? When there's no consensus of who or what to blame then everything is to be blamed i.e. everything is up for grabs, rebuild the rebuild.
Ah, and don't you think there's a slight possibility that just maybe if Chayka would do the deal that OEL and Hjalmarsson would actually turn their noses up at this great organization and go elsewhere in UFA......thus leaving us with nothing after one year of service.? It's always nice to dream but unfortunately reality always gets in the way.:sarcasm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad