(Official) Around the NHL Thread 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Have you seen Wideman lately? We'd be lucky if we got anything of actual value, let alone Perron.

I'd do this, easily. Perron is the better player with a lesser cap hit. He's an upcoming UFA, but he's struggled a bit this season, so I doubt he asks for more than what Wideman is currently making.

Have you seen Perron play lately? He can barely produce playing with Malkin and Crosby.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Perron's contract's done after this year, so Wideman for Perron also comes with more wiggle room for contract extensions and could mean we get to keep one more of Jones/Hudler/Russell. Plus if his play hasn't completely fallen off a cliff he might instantly be our best right-shooting forward, which gives us some more flexibility in the top-6.

I'd even debate adding a B/C prospect or retaining some salary to get it done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Perron's contract's done after this year, so Wideman for Perron also comes with more wiggle room for contract extensions and could mean we get to keep one more of Jones/Hudler/Russell. Plus if his play hasn't completely fallen off a cliff he might instantly be our best right-shooting forward, which gives us some more flexibility in the top-6.

I'd even debate adding a B/C prospect or retaining some salary to get it done.
I don't believe the Pens have the cap space to do 1 for one so we would need to take a cap dump like Ben Lovejoy already

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
I don't believe the Pens have the cap space to do 1 for one so we would need to take a cap dump like Ben Lovejoy already

If Lovejoy's a cap dump at only $1.1M I'd rather just retain the difference. Perron's making $1.4M less than Wideman, so it still frees up $3.8M next year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Lovejoy's a cap dump at only $1.1M I'd rather just retain the difference. Perron's making $1.4M less than Wideman, so it still frees up $3.8M next year.
Why would you rather retain? Lovejoy is a UFA at the end of the year, having him for part of a season isn't the end of the world.

Kovaz

Jul 1, 2014
Why would you rather retain? Lovejoy is a UFA at the end of the year, having him for part of a season isn't the end of the world.

If Lovejoy's useless enough that $1.1M is an overpayment, I'd rather have a spot open for a Kulak/Nakladal/Wotherspoon. Although I probably just read more into you calling Lovejoy a cap dump than you meant, to be honest I have no idea if he's any good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Lovejoy's useless enough that $1.1M is an overpayment, I'd rather have a spot open for a Kulak/Nakladal/Wotherspoon. Although I probably just read more into you calling Lovejoy a cap dump than you meant, to be honest I have no idea if he's any good.
He's a 6/7 defenseman. Slightly overpaid, worst case we throw him on waivers and have him only cost us less than 200k against the cap

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Hes pretty much exactly what the Flames already have for spare defensemen, except hes older.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Wideman and Morrison + pick for Hamonic? Wideman isn't an equivalent to Ham but would be deadly to Islanders powerplay, I think they need a right shot on the point.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Wideman and Morrison + pick for Hamonic? Wideman isn't an equivalent to Ham but would be deadly to Islanders powerplay, I think they need a right shot on the point.

Totally depends on what other teams are willing to pony up. I have a feeling the Oilers are willing to play ball to get him.

On the other hand, if the offers are more grounded, based on the circumstance and his limited number of teams, that could be a decent offer.

I am very curious to see what happens with him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Reason #285 to hate the Oilers:

Their commentator can't pronounce "Hjalmarsson" (calls him Charmalson) and that is extremely annoying. You have one job.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Was chatting with my Isles fan friend who said that the Isles would want a Forward prospet coming back for Hamonic, most likely. We eventually landed on Russell + Klimchuk for Hamonic. Thoughts?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also doesn't make sense for the Islanders to target a forward prospect given their glut of forward prospects.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Also doesn't make sense for the Islanders to target a forward prospect given their glut of forward prospects.

And the Isles D prospects consist of Pulock, Mayfield, and Pelech.

It's not completely unreasonable they would target a forward. My friend and I were just tossing ideas around anyways.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Might make more sense for the Islanders to target an asset to use in another trade. Trade Hamonic for an asset, then trade that asset plus for his replacement. That way they can target any team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad