(Official) Around the NHL Thread 10.0: We're Bad, But So Is The Pacific Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
:laugh:

What I wouldn't have given to see Nelson play live back in his prime.

A+ reference, well played. :laugh:

You sir, have won the internet. Congratulations.

tumblr_m7bx22vzz41rsez73_lmart.gif

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Claim Bournival and send Raymond into the abyss? Works for me.

I'd feel bad for guys like Shore, Arnold & Hamilton; they deserve a chance in the bigs above someone else's waiver wire.

Then again, sending good ol MayRay down to the A, is a good thing too.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'd feel bad for guys like Shore, Arnold & Hamilton; they deserve a chance in the bigs above someone else's waiver wire.

They do, but it's not like Hartley would have played any of them much anyway. Better for them to play a lot in the AHL than get a call up to the Flames, sit the press box and have their confidence lowered, than sent back down.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Regarding waivers.

The waiver priority order is determined by the reverse order of last years standings until either Nov. 1 (I think it is Nov. 1, but am not 100% sure). After that it is the determined by the reverse order of this years standings.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Paul Byron is so ****ing good. :(

Makes me sad to watch.

Of all players, I can't believe the Flames let him go. It was especially weird that they'd waive both him and Raymond simultaneously. I'm not huge on Raymond, but that's risking the loss of a lot of team speed.

Byron is the type of player you need to win cupa. He's just one of those disruptive little speedsters that can play it any way you like. His speed and PK ability are both among the top in the league, and Calgary isn't the fastest team up front to begin with. He's also adept carry the puck through the neutral zone, a rare skill on the Flames roster. Bennett, Gaudreau, and maybe confident Backlund are probably the only other forwards who have above average speed/agility and can effectively and consistently break through neutral zone defenses.

Considering that the bottom 6 is particularly slow, having a versatile speedster like Byron is extremely valuable. He was a big part of the Flames being able to push the pace on the forecheck, and was the only bottom 6 guy who could push back opposition defensemen with his speed and skill.

I think Hartley ended up being a big influencer in the decision to waive Byron. He's got a reputation for favoring big, tough power forwards who will drop the gloves. I attribute this preference to why it took him so long to get Johnny on the top line - he's even quoted as saying that he wasn't planning on giving him such a big role, but Gaudreau's play eventually forced his hand. I don't care who you are, when you have a player as obviously special as Gaudreau, you don't wait 40 games to finally swap him with Curtis Glencross or David Jones on the top line. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to consider pairing your best playmaking winger with your best goal scoring center. I suspect that this is what ended up costing Byron his job. Any modern hockey strategist would take the waiver risk on Bollig over Byron, and I really like Bollig.

Anyways, its a shame what happened with Byron. Hopefully that's a lesson learned. Too bad the guy didn't have any hands or finish, he'd be a perennial 20g 40p guy. Wish the Devils would have nabbed him, he and Stephen Gionta would be fun to watch together. Just two tiny speedsters zipping around throwing surprisingly big body checks and disrupting opposition breakouts.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Paul Byron is so ****ing good. :(

Makes me sad to watch.

I mean, I liked Byron as much as the next guy and yes his style of play was awesome. He has 5 points through 15 games though. Pretty much the same rate of production he had with us.

I am sad he is gone but, I really don't think it would of made a difference for us so far.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I mean, I liked Byron as much as the next guy and yes his style of play was awesome. He has 5 points through 15 games though. Pretty much the same rate of production he had with us.

I am sad he is gone but, I really don't think it would of made a difference for us so far.

This.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I don't mean to say he's necessarily a huge difference-maker (outside of the PK, where I think he's really missed). He was a guy who I really enjoyed watching play, and it seems like whenever I turn on Montreal games, I'm struck by the same thing. When I posted that last night, Byron went out to start a PK, and right off the faceoff (which Flynn lost) he shot ahead, took the puck, raced by Ovechkin and just about got himself a breakaway, but ended up one-handing it on net. Comes back in his own end, and he makes a great play along the wall followed by a sick backhand sauce to set up Flynn for a breakaway goal. It's not about wins why I miss the player, it's about how fun he is to watch. And he doesn't hurt you in your own end, either.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

This is how I feel too. He would have made us no better or no worse had we kept him.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I don't mean to say he's necessarily a huge difference-maker (outside of the PK, where I think he's really missed). He was a guy who I really enjoyed watching play, and it seems like whenever I turn on Montreal games, I'm struck by the same thing. When I posted that last night, Byron went out to start a PK, and right off the faceoff (which Flynn lost) he shot ahead, took the puck, raced by Ovechkin and just about got himself a breakaway, but ended up one-handing it on net. Comes back in his own end, and he makes a great play along the wall followed by a sick backhand sauce to set up Flynn for a breakaway goal. It's not about wins why I miss the player, it's about how fun he is to watch. And he doesn't hurt you in your own end, either.

I like this analysis of Byron.

What I don't like is people insinuating that his presence alone would have us at 14-9 rather than 9-14.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Totally agree with you there, I also really enjoyed watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad