OFFICIAL APATHETIC THREAD - 15/16 Season

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Except that the Sens are about 12 million above the cap floor.

If you're going to ***** and whine like a child at least get your information right.

http://capfriendly.com/

^ that doesn't seem right to me at all... A higher payroll than the quacks? And a few teams OVER cap?

Either way, the senators are always a bubble team of mediocrity.

Hate to say it, last time I really liked it was when we had the cash line...
The best site other than Capgeek.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/teams/senators

And it's Ottawa born.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Remember that time we had a sub par defence, but instead of fixing it in the off season the team just decided to cross their fingers that the young players would magically get it together?

That was a fun decade

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Yeah, I'm not sure why management ignored the defence. It seems like Wiercioch had that one game in the playoffs and everyone just forgot he sucked

Team really does look like the same awful, apathy-inducing one they were last year prior to Cameron taking over

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah, I'm not sure why management ignored the defence. It seems like Wiercioch had that one game in the playoffs and everyone just forgot he sucked

Team really does look like the same awful, apathy-inducing one they were last year prior to Cameron taking over

I can kinda see why BMurrr left the "D" alone:

Karl - Meth: Quite good 1st pairing
Ceci, Boro, Cowen, Wideman/Wiercioch: Decent filler for when 65/3 are not on the ice.

The problem is the defence has too many big slow plugs. The game is moving more and more toward speed speed speed and you can't afford to have guys that are just big and don't bring passing, skating, offensive acumen or at the very least can't read plays in their own end. This is a holdover of Murray's from when he was coaching previous teams that had these grindy types that could hold and obstruct and so on. The problem is, that was 199X and we're now in 201X. The game has changed but BMurr hasn't and it's evident in how populated the team is with low-skill grinders up front. Yes, we can't have the Fedorov/Yzerman Red Wings under the salary cap, but we can avoid having Greening (bad contract, scratch), Neil, Smith, a declining Michalek polluting our roster.

That is on Murray. His loyalty and friendship is coming in the way of team improvement and growth, and that needs to change asap.

Bag of Pucks

Oct 23, 2015
Fort Mcmurray AB.
Cowen needs to be moved hes too slow and takes bad penalties instead of moving his feet. If this is the way they wanna do it then they can just bring up Wideman. Can't do any worse than Cowen. He's never going to be Chara 2.0. They need to face facts. He has more chance of being Hal Gill 2.0

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Cowen needs to be moved hes too slow and takes bad penalties instead of moving his feet. If this is the way they wanna do it then they can just bring up Wideman. Can't do any worse than Cowen. He's never going to be Chara 2.0. They need to face facts. He has more chance of being Hal Gill 2.0

Right now I say that Cowen is a great guy for the third pair, the problem is that we don't have the depth to play in front of him.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

....have you even watched the Sens this season?

Wideman has spent the whole season up with the big club, btw.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Hal Gill was a very effective defenseman for a long time. I wouldn't complain at all if Cowen turned into Gill, especially considering he has better wheels

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
For the 1st time in my life, I've not watched a Sens game because a lack of interest. I didn't bother with the last two games and have been bored while watching games for the last month. Just starting to feel pointless. Everyone already knows how this season will finish. 1st round exit or just missing the playoffs.

Like was said in another thread, I only watch for Karlsson and Hoffman.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am starting to become less interested in the Sens this season. Even the wins weren't really enjoyable.

It just sucks watching the Sens get outshot consistently and have little to no puck possession every game.

I kind of wish the NHL recorded the time on attack because i bet the other team would have a much higher time on attack for pretty much every game that the Sens have played.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We've been worse. We've been better.

But at this point I really think people are starting to see that this is how things are, more or less, for the foreseeable future.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Not recording time on attack makes no sense to me.

This is also way too many posts for an apathy thread.

tumblr_m0f4mm7UbX1ql7m05o1_500.jpg

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Ottawa gets EA NHL ice tilt. Doubled up on time on attack and we get outshot 40-12 but win 3-2. EA can use us as rationale their games are accurate haha.

It honestly sometimes feels like the Sens play just like how people in a drop in eashl game play.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Part of it is a gradually worsening NHL as a whole. Everything feels robotic and low scoring, even when it's high scoring. Lot's of uncalled interference, and lifeless powerplays end up reducing the offence, not increasing it. So many games a week also add to the apathy since games are worth don't feel like they have meaning. Compare to the NFL or soccer and there's no contest which is the more valuable regular season (and thus, easier to be glued to on a weekly basis).

Can make it feel drawn out. The league needs a shorter schedule (maybe 60 games), tweaks to the powerplay rules (no free icing), and smaller goalie pads. All will be right again.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Part of it is a gradually worsening NHL as a whole. Everything feels robotic and low scoring, even when it's high scoring. Lot's of uncalled interference, and lifeless powerplays end up reducing the offence, not increasing it. So many games a week also add to the apathy since games are worth don't feel like they have meaning. Compare to the NFL or soccer and there's no contest which is the more valuable regular season (and thus, easier to be glued to on a weekly basis).

Can make it feel drawn out. The league needs a shorter schedule (maybe 60 games), tweaks to the powerplay rules (no free icing), and smaller goalie pads. All will be right again.

Definitely agree with the bolded part. Watching the last few seasons, there doesn't really feel like we have any true 'superstars' in the league anymore. Guys who make jaw-dropping plays a few times per game, or feel like they've gotten scoring chances nearly every shift. Everyone feels kinda "meh." It reflects a lot in the trade board discussions....looking at proposals, really there are no players out there that I'd desperately want on the team, because no one really stands out anymore. Most proposals are based on the 'wow factor' for seasons past.

But, despite all that.....I simply can't "not care" about the Sens, or the NHL in general. That switch just won't turn off.

But damn, like I sad back in October on this thread, it sure would've been sweet to get a really high pick in that 2015 draft. (I love our picks Chabot and White...no question about it...but a top pick would've been amazing for the franchise.)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I'd really like to get 90 year old Zeke's take on this, not so much the Sens, but the league play in general. I'm older than most but Zeke on this board and have been watching hockey for more decades than I care to admit.

The NHL has gone through changes in style about every 5-10 years over the last probably 100 years. Believe it or not, fans complained about the style in the 70s when the Habs and Flyers dominated, the 80s when the Islanders and Oilers won, 90s Devils, etc. The league evolves and it's close to the most popular it's ever been in history.

As for the comment about no superstars, that's just plain wrong, there are more in the league now than ever before. The skill is very high. The systems have kind of taken over when executed by high skill at every spot.

Maybe cut the rosters to 17 or 18 players.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Definitely agree with the bolded part. Watching the last few seasons, there doesn't really feel like we have any true 'superstars' in the league anymore. Guys who make jaw-dropping plays a few times per game, or feel like they've gotten scoring chances nearly every shift. Everyone feels kinda "meh." It reflects a lot in the trade board discussions....looking at proposals, really there are no players out there that I'd desperately want on the team, because no one really stands out anymore. Most proposals are based on the 'wow factor' for seasons past.

But, despite all that.....I simply can't "not care" about the Sens, or the NHL in general. That switch just won't turn off.

But damn, like I sad back in October on this thread, it sure would've been sweet to get a really high pick in that 2015 draft. (I love our picks Chabot and White...no question about it...but a top pick would've been amazing for the franchise.)

I personally think it's thanks to the more diverse and larger group of top tier players.

I mean Sweden would be icing : Karlsson, Hedman, OEL, Klingberg, etc. That's pretty darn sweet.

Canada also has a long list with : Doughty, Subban, Weber, Ekblad, Keith, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, etc.

Then factor in guys like Josi, McDonaugh, Faulk, Byfuglien, Suter, Letang, Carlson, Alzner, Edler, Hamhuis, Giordano, TJ Brodie, T Myers, Hjalmarsson, Methot, Markov, Phaneuf, Niskanen, Stralman, Kronwall, Kulikov, Fowler, Shattenkirk, Bouwmeester, Burns, etc.

That also doesn't factor in high potential prospects/young guys such as Hamilton, Nurse, Reilly, Beaulieu, Lindholm, Jones, E Johnson, J Johnson, Krug, etc.

Then there are the forwards who have made a name for themselves already : Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, Krejci, Kane, Crosby, Ovi, Malkin, Stamkos, Sedins, Giroux, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Hall, Pacioretty, Ryan, Kesler, Tarasenko, Backstrom, Kessel, O'Reilly, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Duchene etc.

Then the guys following up making a name for themselves/in a tier of very good below those guys : Gaudreau, Stone, Hoffman, Turris, Stepan, Kucherov, Monahan, Barkov, Mackinnon, RNH, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Domi, Johnson, Palat, Eichel, McDavid, Marchand, Carter, Wheeler, Boedker, Staals, Kadri, Nyquist, Huberdeau, Backes, Forsberg, Scheifele, Couturier, Simmonds, Johansson, Johanson, Couture, Landeskog, etc.

Last edited:

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
I've lost interest in the game itself, not just the Sens. I mean, NHL hockey is really boring now. Coaching systems and Michelin man goalies are ruining it. Last year was fun for sure because I got swept up like any other fan. But if you actually watch the game with an unbiased viewpoint, like watching two other teams play, it's excruciating. There might be only a couple of teams that play an remotely exciting style. The refereeing also seems like it's gotten worse. I say this after watching non-Sens games so it's not that I'm only seeing bad call against my team. There are bad calls everywhere. And this whole loser point thing bugs me too. If you're bad, then your point totals should reflect it. But no, Bettman wants every teams fans to spend money even though their team has virtually no chance at winning.

I even find myself reading this board less and less. Funny, this is the thread that makes me post. I'm actually no longer a Gamecenter sub for the first time in a decade. Thought I'd have withdrawal, but surprisingly none whatsoever. Maybe I'm still in baseball mode after the Jays amazing run and just haven't gotten back into hockey. If the Sens smake the playoffs, of course I'll cheer. But that won't change my mind about the state of the game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd really like to get 90 year old Zeke's take on this, not so much the Sens, but the league play in general. I'm older than most but Zeke on this board and have been watching hockey for more decades than I care to admit.

The NHL has gone through changes in style about every 5-10 years over the last probably 100 years. Believe it or not, fans complained about the style in the 70s when the Habs and Flyers dominated, the 80s when the Islanders and Oilers won, 90s Devils, etc. The league evolves and it's close to the most popular it's ever been in history.

As for the comment about no superstars, that's just plain wrong, there are more in the league now than ever before. The skill is very high.
The systems have kind of taken over when executed by high skill at every spot.

Maybe cut the rosters to 17 or 18 players.

...but that's the whole point. We have a lot of stars, and a lot of skilled players, but we don't have anyone out there you can point to and say that guy is the best player in the league, and have 90% (or more) of hockey fans agree.

We don't have that one iconic guy, the Gretzky, the Lemieux, the Orr...in the league right now. And even on a team basis, there are only a handful of teams that have that one single clear-cut guy who is the best guy on the team.

You know what I mean? Like, the whole toe-drag dipsy doodle was amazing when 1-2 guys in the league could do it......it's not so amazing when 500 guys in the NHL can do it. That's what I mean by 'wow factor'.

Edit: Not saying I want less skill in the league, mind you. Having a ton of skill scattered throughout the league is a good thing. But the parity of skill just dulls everything.

Edit2: I'll put this a different way. Orr changed the way we see defensemen and how players can play D. Gretzky showed us what amazing vision can do for a player, and utilized the area behind the net like no one before him. Lemieux showed us that size and elite skill were possible. Patrick Roy popularized the butterfly style and made it amazingly successful. That's what we need right now.....a player to come along and be a pioneer in some aspect of this game. Something new. Something different. Or even a coach out there with the balls to go against conventional wisdom and create a completely different and new system.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad