Official 2023 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This would not be over thinking. This would merely be “thinking.”

I will take Deadhead to a steak dinner and let him tell me how good Fletcher is while I pleasantly fill his glass of wine with a smile on my face if Smith ends up being better

Signed,
Will Smith hater
So I got to root for Smith, when do we determine when you lose this "wager?" :naughty:

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
I have watched very little of Benson, so take this with a grain of salt...

In all the stuff I've seen, he reminds me of a (much) more highly skilled version of Mike Richards. He just always seems to be in the right place, always busting his ass doing the little things to make plays, always making the guys around him look better because he will do anything to make a play, especially if the other team has the puck. He probably won't do as well in some of the non-hockey measurements and tests as a lot of other guys, but he just knows how to play. I'm very much hoping for Michkov, but I'd be thrilled with Benson.

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
Here's my attempt at the top 32. I'll probably update it right before the draft. Particularly after the top 10 feel free to come at me. I know there probably are a couple hot takes here

For context. For my 1st dman, I went from ASP initially to Reinbacher. His draft year, being a #1 for a pro team is tough to argue with. His shot is better than you think, and his fundamentals as a defender are fantastic. He can carry the puck pretty well. Ceiling and floor are both high

On Benson again, I see the same ceiling you guys see, but there is a not insignificant probability that his high end trait doesn't translate to the NHL because of deficiencies elsewhere in his game. He's more of a tactician, not an individual effort player, and he doesn't have great skating or grinding ability to support that when his teammates aren't providing support. And the defensive prowess is overblown. He might look good in the WHL defensively but it's mainly stick checks and positioning. Relying on stick checking and positioning in the NHL when you're physically weak and slow (below average) will not be the greatest

Connor Bedard
Matvei Michkov
Adam Fantilli
Leo Carlsson
Will Smith
Ryan Leonard
David Reinbacher
Dalibor Dvorsky
Zach Benson
Oliver Moore
Brayden Yager
Dmitri Simashev
Gabe Perreault
Samuel Honzek
Axel Sandin Pellikka
Andrew Cristall

Quentin Musty
Mikhail Gulyayev
Nate Danielson
Tom Willander
Gavin Brindley
Daniil But
Riley Heidt
Kasper Halttunen
Lukas Dragicevic
Bradly Nadeau
Matthew Wood
Gracyn Sawchyn
Calum Ritchie
Eduard Sale
Colby Barlow
Oscar Fisker Mølgaard

Last edited:

Unger9

Sep 7, 2016
Kitchener, ON
7 minutes of one of the best defensive fwds in the league winning mostly on stick checking and positioning.

sure, it's one aspect of defending. He could be good at this. Also, not that you explicitly did so, but comparing him to 6'4 freak of nature Mark Stone is a bit dishonest. But another aspect of defending requires speed and physical strength

Also, if you have below average NHL speed and short reach, a decent % of these examples will be unrealistic. The point of my comment was that people have said he's the "best defensive forward in the draft". There's no way it's true. It's way overblown. It's probably not going to be something he can fall back on in the case that his offensive game doesn't pan out too well

Last edited:

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
If the Flyers could get one of Ritchie, Barlow, Wood, Heidt, Yager or Gauthier with the 2nd or 3rd (lol) first would be great imo (most will be gone but you never know who slips)... All looked great when i've seen them.... this is a great draft btw lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
sure, it's one aspect of defending. He could be good at this. Also, not that you explicitly did so, but comparing him to 6'4 freak of nature Mark Stone is a bit dishonest. But another aspect of defending requires speed and physical strength

Also, if you have below average NHL speed and short reach, a decent % of these examples will be unrealistic. The point of my comment was that people have said he's the "best defensive forward in the draft". There's no way it's true. It's way overblown. It's probably not going to be something he can fall back on in the case that his offensive game doesn't pan out too well
He may be the best defensive forward at the CHL level, since many CHL players have lousy defensive fundamentals.

While his physical limitations may prevent him from excelling defensively at the NHL level, a high IQ player who is committed to playing defense can still be effective - and for a top offensive player, merely being "good" on defense puts you heads and shoulders above most of your peers. A lot of top NHL offensive players mail in their defensive effort.

Reactions: Unger9

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

We’ll see. I don’t think his speed or size is nearly as big of a problem as you think.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Given the leaks we've been getting lately, I'm surprised we haven't heard anything confirming that the Flyers have spoken to Michkov.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Since the Flyers look to be going into the crapper for next year... Just wondering for those folks who follow prospects *WAY* more than I ever do.

Where would likely 2024 #1 pick Macklin Celebrini go in the 2023 draft?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Speed? ....where we're going, we don't need speed....

1687797291147.png

When I look at Benson, he seems extremely quick, but no top speed.......he ain't going to win races or on breakaways....but his edges are as good as a Ducati Panigale V4R winding thru a curve in a WSB race in Italy. He thinks and uses every bit of his might to win. If there is any player that would fit in Torts system it is him. As what his faces says [Jonesy]: No doubt about it.....

Speed and height did not stop Bobby Clarke from being one of the all time greats in defensive hockey. Remember he was only 5'10" and weighed 175 at the beginning of the season, but weighed between 140-150 lbs in the playoffs......he wasn't called white-y at season's end because he was Caucasian but because he was so paste-y looking, gaunt and ghostly like.

Still Benson or bust.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Since the Flyers look to be going into the crapper for next year... Just wondering for those folks who follow prospects *WAY* more than I ever do.

Where would likely 2024 #1 pick Macklin Celebrini go in the 2023 draft?
He would go #2 I think.

Celebrini and Eiserman would both have a shout to go ahead of Fantilli really.

The top ~5 of the draft is not a million miles away from this one tbh as things stand. Not as much fwd depth but Celebrini and Eiserman are both looking like they would be #1 overall most years as they stand at age 16-17.

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
He would go #2 I think.

Celebrini and Eiserman would both have a shout to go ahead of Fantilli really.

The top ~5 of the draft is not a million miles away from this one tbh as things stand. Not as much fwd depth but Celebrini and Eiserman are both looking like they would be #1 overall most years as they stand at age 16-17.
AA- could you rank your preference for these first round scenarios?:

1) Michkov + Bonk
2) Benson + Simashev
3) Leonard + Gulyayev

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
AA- could you rank your preference for these first round scenarios?:

1) Michkov + Bonk
2) Benson + Simashev
3) Leonard + Gulyayev

Hmmm. Tough.

Between 1 and 2 no matter how much I like Gulyayav.

Tbh Michkov has soooo much upside might have to go with him even though I think Simashev can be a #2 and Bonk doubt can be more than 2nd pairing guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad