Prospect Info: [Official]: 2017 Draft Thread

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I want Hischier bad. Watching him every game, the kid is insanely talented. Might be a reach but literally looks like a centre version of Gaudreau.

Also want nothing to do with the Patrick sweepstakes though. This draft seems deep but also lacking that franchise caliber player. Most value for pick will probably be in the 5-10 range

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Knowing us, this'll be the year we win the lottery. If we did though I would definitely want to trade either Monahan or Bennett for more depth at wing.

Does anyone know much about Klim Kostin? He's risen a huge amount since the summer but I've never since him play since he's in the KHL. Russian factor a problem or no? Thus far EliteProspects lists him as having no points through his first eight games in the KHL, anyone know why he's rising?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel like Patrick is getting a bad rap. People over scouted Ekblad and Chychrun, I feel like because has been hurt and has been well known for a while with lots of hype, it's being used against him.

The fact is, not even the scouts fully know how these kids will turn out. MacKinnon was supposed to be a megastar, he still might become one but so far he's been a disappointment. Yak was a massive bust, so has Murray to an extent. Mathews looks better than Eichel, Laine looks better than Mathews, heck Patrick could be the best of them all. No one knows until they play and develop.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I've suddenly got a lot more time on my hands this year so I've been paying really close attention to the draft class this year, watching games across the CHL, some NCAA mainly so far but I plan to watch a large number of USHL games, and European. As well as the obvious Canada/Russia series, Top Prospecst Game, U-18's and so on. There are still some very good prospects to be excited about. I mean, one of my favourites so far is ranked in the later rounds on most lists I've seen. There are solid players to be found still.

The thing about Patrick, is we've been spoiled the last few years with McDavid, Matthews, Laine and company. Patrick is by no means a generational player, but is still very promising. That said, if he continues to miss a lot of time there is the potential that guys like Liljegren and Vilardi gain some ground on him for 1st overall conversation.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Does anyone know much about Klim Kostin? He's risen a huge amount since the summer but I've never since him play since he's in the KHL. Russian factor a problem or no? Thus far EliteProspects lists him as having no points through his first eight games in the KHL, anyone know why he's rising?

The big thing with Kostin, is that the package is very intriguing. He's a big body, who plays a power game. By that I mean his skating stride is powerful, he can change directions with a lot of explosiveness, he hits hard, and plays with an edge. That said he doesn't appear to be the most fleet of foot in that he's not very agile.

For whatever reason he hasn't put it all together yet though to put up big numbers, which probably shouldn't be expected given he is playing against men in Russia, but it could be worrisome that he is pointless through 14 games so far. In my 2 viewings so far, he teases you with some occasional high end skill, and other times I questioned whether it was there. He's probably been the most confusing prospect I've seen so far this year.

There is still lots of hockey to be played though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
The rest of November will tell me where this team is going.
If this team can get near .500, then I'm going to try my hardest to avoid prospect lists :laugh: If they end up 6-7 games under .500; I think this is the year you just throw in the towel.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
The big thing with Kostin, is that the package is very intriguing. He's a big body, who plays a power game. By that I mean his skating stride is powerful, he can change directions with a lot of explosiveness, he hits hard, and plays with an edge. That said he doesn't appear to be the most fleet of foot in that he's not very agile.

For whatever reason he hasn't put it all together yet though to put up big numbers, which probably shouldn't be expected given he is playing against men in Russia, but it could be worrisome that he is pointless through 14 games so far. In my 2 viewings so far, he teases you with some occasional high end skill, and other times I questioned whether it was there. He's probably been the most confusing prospect I've seen so far this year.

There is still lots of hockey to be played though.

Most of the reports I've read sofar indicate that Kostin is basically the next version of Nikushkin. So it comes with its obvious risks and benefits.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
The rest of November will tell me where this team is going.
If this team can get near .500, then I'm going to try my hardest to avoid prospect lists :laugh: If they end up 6-7 games under .500; I think this is the year you just throw in the towel.

For me, its similar situation. I have been accepting that this team was going to be garbage for the first month and a bit because of new coach/systems/etc.

The season's probably over for the Flames from a playoff standpoint, but this is the time to see if the team has really started to pick up on the new systems, if the new systems are just bad, and it might ultimately decide the length of Gulutzan's tenure here.

Our luck - we'll finish dead last and lose the draft lottery. I'm still going to have to start paying more attention to the higher ranked guys though.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Gaudreau out for at least 4 weeks, perhaps 6 you say?

Nolan Patrick, come on down.

Realistically though, there is no way we suck anywhere near as much as Arizona or Vancouver to finish dead last. This was supposed to be the year dammit to make the playoffs, yet here we are, looking at top 3-10 prospects.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
This draft really is thin if Owen Tippett is gonna go in the top 10. Guy is invisible when he's not scoring goals

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
This draft really is thin if Owen Tippett is gonna go in the top 10. Guy is invisible when he's not scoring goals

Tippett will likely be a borderline top 10 pick, IMO. He's got great speed, and a good frame, but unless he has the puck on his stick, and scoring goals he does tend to disappear. Barring something drastic for the rest of the year, I'll likely have him outside of my top 10.

Most of the reports I've read sofar indicate that Kostin is basically the next version of Nikushkin. So it comes with its obvious risks and benefits.

The thing I've noticed with Kostin is that when he sticks to his power game - driving to the net, strong on the cycle and so on, he's very effective, it's when he tries the more finesse moves he tends to be struggle.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I want Hischier bad. Watching him every game, the kid is insanely talented. Might be a reach but literally looks like a centre version of Gaudreau.

Also want nothing to do with the Patrick sweepstakes though. This draft seems deep but also lacking that franchise caliber player. Most value for pick will probably be in the 5-10 range

Hischier ranked #1 on McKeen's newest rankings today.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Gabe Vilardi had to undergo an appendectomy today and is out of Windosrs' lineup indefinitely. I have no I idea how long the recovery fro that type of procedure is, but if he misses any sort of substantial time, he'll join both Patrick an Liljegren as 3 of the highly touted prospects this year that have. Though Liljegren is back now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gabe Vilardi had to undergo an appendectomy today and is out of Windosrs' lineup indefinitely. I have no I idea how long the recovery fro that type of procedure is, but if he misses any sort of substantial time, he'll join both Patrick an Liljegren as 3 of the highly touted prospects this year that have. Though Liljegren is back now.
that seems to be going around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad