Prospect Info: [Official]: 2017 Draft Thread

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just trade the 1st for a legitimate goalie and whatever else it takes. Tired of being cheap and hoping we get a bargain for the potential they have career years.

Yeah.
That 1st has to be for a legitimate goalie though. Not for a 'well, maybe' type goalie.

Schneider on the table, you pull that trigger; and the Flames laugh all the way to the playoffs and top seeds.

Unproven, not quite sure about him on the table, you stay away.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Liljegrin is there, we take him all day without thinking. Foote, Valimaki and Brannstrom would all be good choices to, but Liljegrin has the highest ceiling and best chance of becoming a #1. To me, he's this year Chychrun.

I do like Valimaki though, honestly he's quite a bit like Ekholm, he would be a fantastic pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Who'd you rather?

Guy ranked highly most of the year, but now dropping to our range or lower
or...
Guy mostly ranked late 1st/early second who's recently getting a lot of buzz and moving up all charts

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Suzuki is ranked 12th by Bob McKenzie, dear god I hope he falls he's a likely 60 point player.

Also take it how you like but so far Flames social media pages have done two previews on draft players. Foote and Poehling in the first post of Footes video they mentioned he was ranked 12th by ISS and then skiped the next two players and went to 15th for Poehling. Both of whom are in Buttons top 15.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Who'd you rather?

Guy ranked highly most of the year, but now dropping to our range or lower
or...
Guy mostly ranked late 1st/early second who's recently getting a lot of buzz and moving up all charts

I dunno, did the first guy battle mono during his draft year?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I dunno, did the first guy battle mono during his draft year?

He could have ;)
Meant as more of a general question, and not with specific players in mind.

I think I go with the dropping player, provided we've done our homework and are satisfied with the reasoning for the slump.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Suzuki is ranked 12th by Bob McKenzie, dear god I hope he falls he's a likely 60 point player.

Also take it how you like but so far Flames social media pages have done two previews on draft players. Foote and Poehling in the first post of Footes video they mentioned he was ranked 12th by ISS and then skiped the next two players and went to 15th for Poehling. Both of whom are in Buttons top 15.

Link to what Dack is talking about, Bob's list leaked:

https://imgur.com/a/9tvzU

I'm honestly pretty happy with anyone minus Kostin in the 10-20 range.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
photo.jpg

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
AHL is a better fit for him anyways but you'd think these Russian kids would realise that coming off as standoffish and like you're too good to play here doesn't win you many friends or a high draft position.

For all the hate Kostin gets on here, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets his 9 games for whatever team drafts him. I think he's going to make a lot of people look silly next year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I am not sure what I think of Kostin. The fact he was injured for most of the year makes it even harder to have a firm opinion on him.

The Russian factor is certainly in play with him though.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Yeah but at the same time every year due to the Russian factor player's like Kucherov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov fall. It happens every year. Top 5 talents falling to late 20s or even second round.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Yeah but at the same time every year due to the Russian factor player's like Kucherov, Tarasenko, Kuznetsov fall. It happens every year. Top 5 talents falling to late 20s or even second round.

You can name Kuch, Tank and Kuzy and I can name Nichushkin or Guryanov who either didn't live up to the billing or bailed to Russia. Even Rafikov, while not having the same draft pedigree still never came over even for training camp (I know about the visa issues, but if he really wanted to come over he'd have figured it out after 3 visa issues).

My issues with Kostin was that he played like 8(?) games these year total. When Galchenyuk was drafted after being injured the entire year he at least had his draft-1 year to fall back on, and he was American and in the WHL.

If the Flames did pick him though I trust that his interview went well enough that he won't be a flight risk and that they see a high potential if he is drafted over other "safer" guys. If he interviewed well, which we'll really never find out, I hope the Flames do draft him because he is everything we need for the top line, skilled, big, fast.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
You can name Kuch, Tank and Kuzy and I can name Nichushkin or Guryanov who either didn't live up to the billing or bailed to Russia. Even Rafikov, while not having the same draft pedigree still never came over even for training camp (I know about the visa issues, but if he really wanted to come over he'd have figured it out after 3 visa issues).

My issues with Kostin was that he played like 8(?) games these year total. When Galchenyuk was drafted after being injured the entire year he at least had his draft-1 year to fall back on, and he was American and in the WHL.

If the Flames did pick him though I trust that his interview went well enough that he won't be a flight risk and that they see a high potential if he is drafted over other "safer" guys. If he interviewed well, which we'll really never find out, I hope the Flames do draft him because he is everything we need for the top line, skilled, big, fast.

Yeah at the same time there's the other side of the coin. I guess you're right. If he wants to play in the AHL next season (if he can) than I don't see a problem with picking him. However, if he doesn't seem like the guy Treliving wants to take then I'm hoping Suzuki or Liljegren fall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad