TSN: Official 2016 Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
With Edler injured they really need Hamhuis. Their defense is struggling now without him they may as well blow it up. If they trade him they have given up, so I don't see them doing that. If Edler were healthy then maybe they could move him.

I am against getting late first round draft picks for players they can use, or just accumulating a bunch of picks. To me the draft is weak. McSaviour was sooo last year. I would much prefer the vets we trade return defensive prospects who play the right side. Now that Buff is off the table, there is no one on defense that I am excited about who are UFAs. Trading for a prospect is our best hope to fill a vital need. Looking at next year we could have a competitive D if we resign Hammer and get one good right side D:

Tanev Edler
NEED Hamhuis
Sbisa Hutton
Biega Pedan

My hope is their biggest NEED is filled at the trade deadline.

I agree, that fixing the D is the top priority, I just don't see it being fixed at the TDL.

The best defensemen on the market are probably Yandle and apparently Shattenkirk (not sure why - he is signed for another year). But the Rags and Blues are both solidly in the playoff hunt so I can't see them trading Yandle or Shattenkirk at the TDL.

Byfuglien was the 1 chance as he was on an expiring contract, but with him signing a big extension, he is now off the market.

Hamonic is on the market, but I see him as a 2nd pairing guy, very much in the mold of Ben Hutton. But the Islanders apparently want a similar defenseman in return, so this doesn't help us.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Unlike the tank crowd, I don't want to see 'selling' of any kind between now and deadline day. Management needs to give players the vote of confidence that if the team is fighting hard enough and is within playoff contention, then management will absolutely support them. It sends a TERRIBLE message to players if your management 'pulls the rug' underneath you 2-3 weeks before deadline day.

Lol at this. You've got it wrong CMH. It's the players who have pulled the rug underneath the fans with efforts like the one on Saturday. The only message it would send is that they've frittered away the season and it isn't good enough. Not every message needs to be a warm hug. This team has earned a vote of non-confidence and if they don't like the feeling then perhaps it will drive them to work hard in the summer and come back with a better effort next season. Cause this one has a fork in it.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Sell sell sell

Re-posting for exposure:

"If you and Jim conclude in the next couple of weeks that the best course of action is to trade some of the veterans - in other words, become sellers - is there a chance that ownership is gonna step in the way and say, 'No, you can't do that?'"

"No, absolutely not, Jason. That does not concern me at all. If that's the path we go down, we have the ability to do that. Ownership has been supportive [of] the moves we've made this year, and obviously...[there's been] some hard decisions on some veteran players - and expensive decisions - but there's been complete support there and I would expect that to continue."

If Trevor's being honest, the floodgates are open. The exodus can begin. And thank ****ing god for that.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Again, it all depends on where we are as a team come trade deadline day. If we're within 2-3 points of a playoff spot, we'll be buyers. However - if we're anywhere between 4+ points out with other teams having games in hand, then we'll be sellers. Period.

Unlike the tank crowd, I don't want to see 'selling' of any kind between now and deadline day. Management needs to give players the vote of confidence that if the team is fighting hard enough and is within playoff contention, then management will absolutely support them. It sends a TERRIBLE message to players if your management 'pulls the rug' underneath you 2-3 weeks before deadline day.

Now obviously - if we aren't where we need to be as a team come deadline day, then by all means, sell. However - do not sell every Tom, Dick, and Harry over the age of 27.

-Move Vrbata for a 2nd (I'd say 1st but I can't see it happening). I would actually consider moving Vrbata regardless of whether we're in playoff contention or not (if we're in contention, then only move Vrbata for a 1st otherwise keep him).
-Move Hamhuis for a 1st (a.k.a. The "Vermette" deal where we re-sign him in the off-season).
-Do whatever you can to move Prust or Higgins (although it's likely a no-go at this point).
-If a team is absurd enough to take on Burrows' contract (a la Bieksa/Anaheim), move Burrows and run.
-If someone gives us an unbelievable offer for Hansen or Miller (i.e. 1st rounder), take it and run (I can't see it happening though).

However - IF we are buyers.

-Consider trading 2nd's for highly talented 20-23 year olds that for whatever reason, haven't panned out on their original teams. For example - what Benning did with Baertschi and Vey. Only thing I'd do differently here is focusing on defensemen.

-If you're going to make a true 'hockey' deal, get some young guy aged 22-26 that can help us win now and in the future.

-If you're going to bring in a Brandon Prust type guy again, offer a 4th or 5th at most that will be a UFA at season's end.

On these terms, you can buy. I think what scares most Canuck fans are moves like a 2nd round pick for old vets like Derek Roy. I don't see Benning doing anything like this. Certain posters also have this notion in their heads that Benning will try and trade for a guy like Ladd, but this won't happen (unless I myself have misunderstood Benning and his intentions).

p.s._______________As for my vote, I'll have to vote 'neither' right now because I won't have my mind made up until the actual deadline day or the day before. Come to think of it, if it was up to me, I'd consider doing BOTH if I was Benning (with whom I'd target listed above).

Not going to lie, I tuned out after that statement. Did you watch the game on Saturday? Or really any big game this team has had? Where is the fight? They abslutely have not put up a fight. Let it go.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I honestly don't know how anyone who has even loosely followed this team can come to any other conclusion except sell. This is a bad hockey team. This is a very bad hockey team. There's not nearly enough quality assets on the team to make the playoffs, or actually do anything once they get in the playoffs. All that would accomplish is waste a painful year where we end up with a mid-1st round pick and don't actually accomplish anything today or for the future.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Here are the players I think may be in play at the TDL.

Code:
           Player	       Team	Pos	Age	Status	Salary

[LIST=1]
[*]Steven Stamkos	TBL	C	25	UFA 2016	$7,500,000 
[*]Eric Staal			CAR	C	31	UFA 2016	$8,250,000 
[*]Jonathan Drouin	TBL	LW	20	RFA 2017	$894,000 
[*]Tyler Ennis		BUF	C/RW	26	UFA 2019	$4,600,000 
[*]Kevin Shattenkirk	STL	D	27	UFA 2017	$4,250,000 
[*]Ryan Nugent-Hopkn	EDM	C	22	RFA 2020	$6,000,000 
[*]Andrew Ladd	        WPG	LW	30	UFA 2016	$4,400,000 
[*]Mikkel Boedker	ARZ	RW	26	UFA 2016	$3,750,000 
[*]Jordan Eberle	        EDM	RW	25	RFA 2019	$6,000,000 
[*]Travis Hamonic	NYI	D	25	UFA 2020	$3,857,000 
[*]Kyle Okposo		NYI	RW	27	UFA 2016	$2,800,000 
[*]Cam Atkinson		CBJ	RW	26	UFA 2018	$3,500,000 
[*]Sami Vatanen		ANA	D	24	RFA 2016	 $1,250,000 
[*]Keith Yandle		NYR	D	29	UFA 2016	$2,625,000 
[*]Cam Fowler		ANA	D	24	RFA 2018	$4,000,000 
[*]Jiri Hudler		CGY	C/LW	33	UFA 2016	$4,000,000 
[*]Loui Eriksson		BOS	RW	30	UFA 2016	$4,250,000 
[*]Milan Lucic		LAK	LW	27	UFA 2016	$3,250,000 
[*]Tyler Bozak		TOR	C	29	UFA 2019	$4,200,000 
[*]Kris Russell		CGY	D	28	UFA 2016	$2,600,000
[/LIST]

I honestly don't understand why there are rumours around Shattenkirk. He has another year remaining on a bargain contract, his team is in the playoff hunt and he is one of their best defenseman. I could see David Backes being in play as he is a UFA.

At any rate, from this list, I would target Yandle, Okposo. If the Islanders would accept a forward prospect in return for Travis Hamonic I would do that, but all indications are they are looking for defense.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Think the Oilers want to keep Eberle now due to his chemistry with McDavid

Their only big piece is Nuge basically

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Here are the players I think may be in play at the TDL.

Code:
           Player	       Team	Pos	Age	Status	Salary

[LIST=1]
[*]Steven Stamkos	TBL	C	25	UFA 2016	$7,500,000 
[*]Eric Staal			CAR	C	31	UFA 2016	$8,250,000 
[*]Jonathan Drouin	TBL	LW	20	RFA 2017	$894,000 
[*]Tyler Ennis		BUF	C/RW	26	UFA 2019	$4,600,000 
[*]Kevin Shattenkirk	STL	D	27	UFA 2017	$4,250,000 
[*]Ryan Nugent-Hopkn	EDM	C	22	RFA 2020	$6,000,000 
[*]Andrew Ladd	        WPG	LW	30	UFA 2016	$4,400,000 
[*]Mikkel Boedker	ARZ	RW	26	UFA 2016	$3,750,000 
[*]Jordan Eberle	        EDM	RW	25	RFA 2019	$6,000,000 
[*]Travis Hamonic	NYI	D	25	UFA 2020	$3,857,000 
[*]Kyle Okposo		NYI	RW	27	UFA 2016	$2,800,000 
[*]Cam Atkinson		CBJ	RW	26	UFA 2018	$3,500,000 
[*]Sami Vatanen		ANA	D	24	RFA 2016	 $1,250,000 
[*]Keith Yandle		NYR	D	29	UFA 2016	$2,625,000 
[*]Cam Fowler		ANA	D	24	RFA 2018	$4,000,000 
[*]Jiri Hudler		CGY	C/LW	33	UFA 2016	$4,000,000 
[*]Loui Eriksson		BOS	RW	30	UFA 2016	$4,250,000 
[*]Milan Lucic		LAK	LW	27	UFA 2016	$3,250,000 
[*]Tyler Bozak		TOR	C	29	UFA 2019	$4,200,000 
[*]Kris Russell		CGY	D	28	UFA 2016	$2,600,000
[/LIST]

I honestly don't understand why there are rumours around Shattenkirk. He has another year remaining on a bargain contract, his team is in the playoff hunt and he is one of their best defenseman. I could see David Backes being in play as he is a UFA.

At any rate, from this list, I would target Yandle, Okposo. If the Islanders would accept a forward prospect in return for Travis Hamonic I would do that, but all indications are they are looking for defense.

Why would you target anyone from that list (not named Drouin or RNH)? We desperately need to rebuild. Targeting UFA"s Yandle or Okposo would be counterproductive.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I was going to ask why this thread even had to exist But now that I see there's two buyers my question is have they actually watched the game versus Toronto on the weekend?

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Why would you target anyone from that list (not named Drouin or RNH)? We desperately need to rebuild. Targeting UFA"s Yandle or Okposo would be counterproductive.

Okposo wouldn't be horrible if we signed him in the summer at say 4.5. But I think his numbers are inflated given Who he plays with.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Ill be willing to bet whoever signs okposo to a big money deal regrets it in less than 3 years.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
With Edler injured they really need Hamhuis. Their defense is struggling now without him they may as well blow it up. If they trade him they have given up, so I don't see them doing that. If Edler were healthy then maybe they could move him.

I am against getting late first round draft picks for players they can use, or just accumulating a bunch of picks. To me the draft is weak. McSaviour was sooo last year. I would much prefer the vets we trade return defensive prospects who play the right side. Now that Buff is off the table, there is no one on defense that I am excited about who are UFAs. Trading for a prospect is our best hope to fill a vital need. Looking at next year we could have a competitive D if we resign Hammer and get one good right side D:

Tanev Edler
NEED Hamhuis
Sbisa Hutton
Biega Pedan

My hope is their biggest NEED is filled at the trade deadline.

I'd prefer they acquired a partially developed D like Theodore, Honka or Pouliot than anything else. Theodore is a pipe dream because we don't have what they need right now. I'd also consider a 2nd rounder and a prospect such as Lindell, Matt Spencer or Meloche.

I'm OK with getting any pick back from Vrbata as he can't get a second tier D prospect in return such as McCoshen, Spencer, Juulsen, Meloche etc. His value has dropped too far.

The biggest move they can make between now and the draft is getting Demko under contract.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad