Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
See, I thought his shot was one of his weakest points. Nylanders starts and stops, the way he fades away, amazing. Bennett is a puck hound, Nylander would be great with him or on the 1st PP unit

Well, how are you rating it? On power, it's not great. His release and accuracy are very good though. Like Johnny, he gets a lot of tourque on his shot to generate his velocity. But he uses his smarts and tries to beat goalies with a quick release.

He will be stronger in the NHL than Johnny and will have a powerful shot, eventually.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well, how are you rating it? On power, it's not great. His release and accuracy are very good though. Like Johnny, he gets a lot of tourque on his shot to generate his velocity. But he uses his smarts and tries to beat goalies with a quick release.

He will be stronger in the NHL than Johnny and will have a powerful shot, eventually.

I think his release is fine but like Johnny, he'll have to rely on accuracy to score. He'll probably never over power anyone with his shot.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He could become a Marner/Gaudreau type player. But he's consistently ranked 10-15. His numbers are good but they aren't eye-popping. Last year people were telling me Jeremy Bracco would be better than Gaudreau, got drafted in the third round and was nothing special in the CHL, already looks like a bust.

If Keller had Gaudreaus or Marners skill level he would be a top five pick, and ranked accordingly.

Saying Keller is Gaudreau is like saying Brown is Thornton, Juolevi is Brodie or Chychrun is Weber. Yeah they may have similarities in style but they have a LONG way to go to be those caliber of players.

Look at last year, everyone on our board (except me for one) wanted Merkley, Merkley sucks. Small skilled guys are better junior players, come pro and they fade into oblivion. Don't know how Keller is going to help us beat St. Louis, Anaheim or Los Angeles.

I don't think players of a particular size are greater beneficiaries than others of the competition in juniors. Smaller players benefit from their opponents not being big enough to wreck them consistently, but larger players benefit from their opponents being small enough to dominate purely due to size.

The primary consideration should be whether a player is smart enough and adaptable enough to adjust to a tougher environment. That's obviously the toughest part of scouting, but as long as a guy is 5'9 or taller, I don't think size alone poses a significant concern.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So I'm clear, I have Nylander slightly ahead of Keller, but not by a lot. Gaudreau also fell to the 4th round for being undersized and tiny. And Keller actually does have excellent skating ability and edge work, I'm not sure where you're getting that he doesn't? Keller has lots of room to add muscle and he will, saying a teenager is nowhere near as strong as Crosby/Giroux is funny, did you see Claude in his draft year?

Anyways, this is all fun to me to debate. Snipes wants Brown, I want Keller or Nylander (over Tkachuk), but will be happy with anyone including Chychrun. I don't know why anyone is knocking Keller's highlight package, it's very impressive as he is.

Nope. I still have Dubois 4, Tkachuk 5 and Nylander 6. But I do like Brown, if we go away from the general consensus, Nylander, then I think there is a strong chance it's Logan Brown.

Nylander has accomplished so much this year, I mean he had 9 points in 7 WJC games, that's rare for an draft eligible player. He had 12 points in 6 playoff games. He's not surrounded by a ton of talent on Missasauga and yet he showed an elite ability to produce. He has NHL pedigree. The only reason I feel our management would pass on him is because we have a fixation on size (ie almost passing on Bennett for Richie).

If we pass on the obvious Nylander (if Tkachuk and Dubois are gone) I have a hard time seeing us going for an even smaller player. If he is Marner, then absolutely draft this guy. Don't think he's at that level though I hace faith our scouts will pick the right player.

And from the beginning I think the Flames trade up for Dubois (ideally) or Tkachuk.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know I actually think Dubois will produce less than Tkachuk, Nylander and Keller in the NHL. However I would still take him at 4 because he's a better skater than Tkachuk, and is just as physical, and will be a good producer.

I tend to think Nylander is our guy for many of the reasons Snipes mentioned. Honestly if he's there, I think we would be foolish to pass on him unless the Flames are certain they are getting their Monahan with someone else. So what if Nylander isn't a banger, the guy can score and he's not small. Put Poirier on his line or bloody Hunter Smith and problem solved. He's natural ability is to good to pass on.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Oilers fan coming in peace. I just made my last pick in HFOil's Mock Draft and I was the Calgary Flames. I am curious to see how you guys as Flames fans feel I did for your team. I tried to draft a lot of skill in general and might have made a couple of reaches. It seemed that the guy I wanted was always taken 1 or 2 picks before me. Let me know what you think!

1 (6) - Matthew Tkachuk - LW - 6'1, 194lbs - London Knights
2 (35) - Vitali Abramov - RW - 5'9, 170lbs - Gatineau Olympiques
2 (54) - Chad Krys - D - 5'11, 183lbs - US Under 18
2 (59) - Dillon Dubè - C - 5'10, 181lbs - Kelowna Rockets
3 (65) - Keaton Middleton - D - 6'5, 234lbs -Saginaw Spirit
4 (95) - Eetu Tuulola - RW - 6'3, 225lbs - HPK
5 (125) - Max Zimmer - LW - 5'11, 185lbs - Chicago USHL
6 (155) - Jonathan Ang - C - 5'11, 163lbs - Peterborough Petes
6 (165) - Carsen Twarynski - LW/D - 6'2, 201lbs - Calgary Hitmen
7 (185) - Luke Kirwan - LW - 6'2, 227lbs - Flint Firebirds

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Oilers fan coming in peace. I just made my last pick in HFOil's Mock Draft and I was the Calgary Flames. I am curious to see how you guys as Flames fans feel I did for your team. I tried to draft a lot of skill in general and might have made a couple of reaches. It seemed that the guy I wanted was always taken 1 or 2 picks before me. Let me know what you think!

1 (6) - Matthew Tkachuk - LW - 6'1, 194lbs - London Knights
2 (35) - Vitali Abramov - RW - 5'9, 170lbs - Gatineau Olympiques
2 (54) - Chad Krys - D - 5'11, 183lbs - US Under 18
2 (59) - Dillon Dubè - C - 5'10, 181lbs - Kelowna Rockets
3 (65) - Keaton Middleton - D - 6'5, 234lbs -Saginaw Spirit
4 (95) - Eetu Tuulola - RW - 6'3, 225lbs - HPK
5 (125) - Max Zimmer - LW - 5'11, 185lbs - Chicago USHL
6 (155) - Jonathan Ang - C - 5'11, 163lbs - Peterborough Petes
6 (165) - Carsen Twarynski - LW/D - 6'2, 201lbs - Calgary Hitmen
7 (185) - Luke Kirwan - LW - 6'2, 227lbs - Flint Firebirds

Not exactly who I would've picked, but the first three guys are picks I wouldn't hate if they did happen (don't really know the rest of them).

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I would be overjoyed if we got Abramov in the second round, so that's a successful draft for me. Would prefer Nylander to Tkachuk, but Tkachuk is a great player too. Krys and Dubé are good picks, though I'm curious: Was Girard still available at those spots? Good job.

ETA: Yay, we got Tuulola too! That guy is a pretty interesting prospect.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Just so people know Luke Kirwan is not Luke Kunin who is slated to go 20-30.
Kirwan was ranked for the 2nd round back earlier in the year, but fell off of every list. Still, picking him up in the 7th would be a great pick.

Don't know if I like Krys at 54th (don't we have picks 53 & 55, and not 54 & 59?)
He has fallen for most of the year.

I'm not really interested in a smaller D guy, especially if we end up with Nylander.
Instead I'd be looking at guys like Allard, Niemelainen, Cederhom, Anderson, and yes, Day

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
I would be overjoyed if we got Abramov in the second round, so that's a successful draft for me. Would prefer Nylander to Tkachuk, but Tkachuk is a great player too. Krys and Dubé are good picks, though I'm curious: Was Girard still available at those spots? Good job.

Thanks! I read some of this thread after the fact and saw that quite a few people were behind taking Nylander there. I would like to see the Oilers take Tkachuk so I wasnt thinking about anyone else at the time. Girard was gone mid 2nd round. I was originally hoping to get two of Girard, cholowski, day or tage Thompson with those picks but no such luck. Haha

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
So what's the general consensus on the player that we are picking? We honestly cannot go wrong with a defenseman or a winger.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I would be ecstatic if we got Jost, even at 6.

Then again, I am probably the only one that likes him more than Nylander and Tkachuk. The only forward I would take at 6, besides the big 3 of course, over Jost is Dubois.

I know I'll probably take a lot of heat for that but oh well.

ShotDownInFlames

May 16, 2015
ALBERTA
I feel that he's the Best Player Available after Dubois and Tkachuk. I know we have pretty good center depth but its called asset management he can stay in college for a few years. If someone argues we need wingers, I say we need wingers now and Nylander isn't one to step in right now.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm still in favour of drafting Nylander. You can't teach elite level skill, he has some size; if he beefs up he'll be even tougher.

That plus the thought of Janko - Nylander in Stockton next year gives me an Erixon.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So what's the general consensus on the player that we are picking? We honestly cannot go wrong with a defenseman or a winger.

If Dubois or Tkachuk are there, I believe those are the only players that consensus leans towards. After that it appears wide open among these eight:

6'6" C Logan Brown (Strong skater, nice hands)
5'10" C Clayton Keller (High Skill, Very High IQ, High Motor)
6'3" LD Mikhael Sergachyev (Great skater, top-end offensive instincts)
6'0" RW Alex Nylander (High skill, Very High IQ)
6'2" LD Jacob Chychrun (Great skater, great defensive instincts)
6'1" LD Olli Juolevi (Good skater, good decision-maker)
5'11"C Tyson Jost (Very High Motor, High Skill)
6'1" RD Dante Fabbro (Very good skater, good decision-maker, good defensive instincts, good offensive instincts)

Really a case to be made that any of these guys is a threat to be selected at 6th overall.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If we can't pick in the top 4, I'm happy at 6. I know everyone is all "ga-ga" for Dubois, and I'll probably be crucified for, but I think Dubois has the biggest bust potential of anyone in the top 7.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If we can't pick in the top 4, I'm happy at 6. I know everyone is all "ga-ga" for Dubois, and I'll probably be crucified for, but I think Dubois has the biggest bust potential of anyone in the top 7.

I don't think Dubois will bust, but I think Keller, Nylander and Tkachuk will all outscore him, providing they all make the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad