Prospect Info: [Official]: 2016 Draft Thread v.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Prefer a forward especially since we have Hamilton Gio Brodie with Kylington and Andersson who he stated arent far away. I think they get a chance in 17-18 with Wideman/Engelland/Smid coming off the books. However if he thinks the difference between Dubois/Tkachuk and Nylander/Brown is high enough to just draft Juoveli I trust him. That will set us very nicely on the blue line and can allow us to take numerous forwards with later picks or trade up for another first to take a forward.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The comments about Nylander are interesting. William would probably go 4th in this draft, so is Burke really thinking that Alex should go 4th (I tend to) or he is wanting someone to reach for Alex so that they get a bigger Tkachuk lol?

There's some definite mind games going on. Hopefully the scouts are reading these forums :laugh:

I really want Nylander, his skill is so good and he will probably end up playing at 6'1.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Brad Treliving on Sportsnet 960:

- Quickly travelled to Red Deer from Russia to catch the London Knights game last night
- Impressed by Backlund's performance for Sweden
- Said they are scouting other European players (ie. Pribyl)
- Coaching: Ongoing search, progress made during his Russia trip (in person and over phone), has a group of candidates he is doing lots of homework on (their past perofrmances rather than just interviewing), nothing imminent, current staff is staying on board with new head coach
- Memorial Cup and U18 tournament performances hold value but wont drastically change their scouting reports

Was hoping for more on the draft but oh well

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Juolevi has looked really good in the Mem cup. He is such a strong skater. Hopefully we can trade up to 4 for Dubois.

And yeah. I think Burke is just playing us as usual. He usually throws out a few comments before the draft. 10% truths.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brad Treliving on Sportsnet 960:

- Quickly travelled to Red Deer from Russia to catch the London Knights game last night
- Impressed by Backlund's performance for Sweden
- Said they are scouting other European players (ie. Pribyl)
- Coaching: Ongoing search, progress made during his Russia trip (in person and over phone), has a group of candidates he is doing lots of homework on (their past perofrmances rather than just interviewing), nothing imminent, current staff is staying on board with new head coach
- Memorial Cup and U18 tournament performances hold value but wont change drastically change their scouting reports

Was hoping for more on the draft but oh well

The organization must really like Gelinas. Might also suggest he wasn't the problem with the powerplay.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
The organization must really like Gelinas. Might also suggest he wasn't the problem with the powerplay.

He specifically praised Gelinas and Sigalet. Said they will be here as long as he is.

Funny enough Special Teams and Goaltending were our two biggest problems.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

We figured the Powerplay out. We played most of the season with two defencemen high. It was terrible. Around 30-25 games left we switched to an umbrella style and from that point on we were lights out.

The PK though... Brutal all season. Hopefully he wasn't in charge of that.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I know it's likely some misinformation, but I would really like it if that were actually our draft list.
Then we just need Edmonton or Vancouver to take Tkachuk, and I'm a happy man. Tkachuk, Nylander, and Brown are the three guys I don't really want.

Though with Nylander, it's more a case of liking other prospects better, and not so much about Nylander himself.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Can the draft just come already, **** me.

Can only take so much mind games and discussion on the same topic before :banana:
inb4 we draft Max Jones at 6.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If we don't pick Brown, I hope Arizona doesn't. I just don't want that guy in our division. He scares me.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
The comments about Nylander are interesting. William would probably go 4th in this draft, so is Burke really thinking that Alex should go 4th (I tend to) or he is wanting someone to reach for Alex so that they get a bigger Tkachuk lol?

There's some definite mind games going on. Hopefully the scouts are reading these forums :laugh:

I really want Nylander, his skill is so good and he will probably end up playing at 6'1.

Or the Flames just don't value non-physical finesse forwards as much as you do.

Burke has already said if prospects are close that they'll take defense over centres over wingers. A. Nylander is a winger and he doesn't have the ideal size and physicality they'd like to add (unlike Tkachuk/Dubois). Easy to see why he might've dropped out of our top 6 because of that.

Top pairing dmen are more valuable to their teams in on ice play and more valuable in trade than averaged sized skilled finesse wingers.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

Burke has already said if prospects are close that they'll take defense over centres over wingers. A. Nylander is a winger and he doesn't have the ideal size and physicality they'd like to add (unlike Tkachuk/Dubois). Easy to see why he might've dropped out of our top 6 because of that.

Top pairing dmen are more valuable to their teams in on ice play and more valuable in trade than averaged sized skilled finesse wingers.

Do we have confidence that (or when) any of Juolevi, Chychrun or Sergachev will be a top pairing talent over Hamilton, Kylington or Anderssen? Because they'd pretty much have to be to carry more value than a top 6 winger for us at this point.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

I guess we could always pull a Jones for Johansen type swap someday if needed too.

But most of us just don't see the need for another top 3 defenseman on this team, and since we have nothing else to discuss, BPA goes out the window for discussions sake.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Honestly, if we can't get Tkachuk or Dubois I wouldn't mind taking Juolevi or Chychrun. When I see Nylander play he looks almost lazy to me, and I don't think that's something our team wants/needs. Center depth and Defense win championships. We can find wingers elsewhere, but if we went into 2017-18 season with a center depth of Monahan, Bennett, Backlund, Janko and a defense of Brodie-Dougie, Gio-Andersson, Juolevi/Chychrun-? We would have, most, likely the best Center/Defensive depth in the league.

That being said, I would prefer Tkachuk/Dubois in this draft. We don't have ANY blue-chip wingers outside of Johnny in our organization, except MAYBE Shinkaruk.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Wait, Backlund played at the Worlds?

I thought there were no Flames there.

Yeah, wore an A too. He started off really strong and was even player of the game for Sweden against Denmark, but faded down the stretch, when the wheels fell off for the whole team. Given how poor their roster was, not a surprise. He was still one of their best possession players, though, as is tradition.

I hope his loyalty has earned him some brownie points with the Swedish federation because he always goes to these tournaments when they call him unlike 90% of their NHLers.

Aug 3, 2010
Yeah, wore an A too. He started off really strong and was even player of the game for Sweden against Denmark, but faded down the stretch, when the wheels fell off for the whole team. Given how poor their roster was, not a surprise. He was still one of their best possession players, though, as is tradition.

I hope his loyalty has earned him some brownie points with the Swedish federation because he always goes to these tournaments when they call him unlike 90% of their NHLers.

Doesn't help they played him as a winger alongside a SEL guy by the name of Jimmie Ericsson... who is listed as a career winger on Wikipedia and hockeydb. Omark was also there on the right side wing and that was their top line?? :huh:

Gustav Nyquist was the second wing LW and it's pretty easy to see they should have run a Nyquist-Backlund-X line instead. They wouldn't have won the tournament by any means but it's so worthless to put players out of their career positions and expect them to click in a short tournament.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Watching Juolevi in the Mem cup he's a lot safer pick then Tkachuk. I am more open to the idea because he's 6'2, a great skater and the de facto #1 defencemen on both a WJC gold medal team and one of the best CHL teams ever. Plus, he's more physical then he gets credit for. Definitely not a banger though.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
Doesn't help they played him as a winger alongside a SEL guy by the name of Jimmie Ericsson... who is listed as a career winger on Wikipedia and hockeydb. Omark was also there on the right side wing and that was their top line?? :huh:

Gustav Nyquist was the second wing LW and it's pretty easy to see they should have run a Nyquist-Backlund-X line instead. They wouldn't have won the tournament by any means but it's so worthless to put players out of their career positions and expect them to click in a short tournament.

Yeah, good points. I agree the coaching decisions were pretty bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad