GDT: Official 2013 Draft Day thread IV: Oilers take Nurse @7. MacT adds all the picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
In hindsight, turning 1 2nd rounder into 5 later round picks was a good choice considering our lack of 3rd and 4th round picks in the draft.

I think we have a better chance with the 5 guys we got than the 1 guy we would have gotten otherwise. I think it was good asset management and I really like the move, especially considering a couple of guys we got (slepyshev and Yakimov in particular). And we still got Roy, who looks like a good pick.

Edit: Also for anyone interested, 87 Canada cup is on TSN2 right now, fantastic hockey, so much skill on display, really amazing stuff.

How many Russians has there been on the last 4 Stanley cup champs? Why were picking Russians I don't know because you don't win championships with them.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Oh ya, I forgot the 2013 NHL Entry Draft was the last draft in NHL history. Shoot, screw you MacT.

:handclap:

Agreed, pretty sure that there would be some value in our 2014 picks. And if a trade with Boston for Peverley/Boychuk could involve guys like Marancin then there are still some valuable pieces to include in a trade.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I really hope we trade Nurse + Paajarvi + for Coburn + Couts.

Nurse is who the Flyers wanted to draft anyway, and I have no qualms about trading a defenseman who'll be ready in 4 years.

Nurse is the guy we wanted . But homer has said couts and schenn are off limits.

Coburn for nurse. That is neither a win lose situation for either team. In the mean time the oilers get a great mobile defeseman that can play all the hard minutes at 4.5 mill a year. Potentially can play at a top level till he is 35. For nurse a prospect whose ceiling is a bit higher scoring than coburn and potentially slightly better defensively because of his attitude.

I can see the the pros and cons for both sides. It is very hard to find a similar trade. Brian campbell was traded for a 1st and a young prospect on an expiring deal.

and Burns who is more gifted offensively than Coburn yet have put up similar even strength numbers received a first round pick a top 6 30 g forward and a top prospect. And Burns makes more than coburn.

I think edm would be smart to keep nurse and let all the young guys develop at the same age range, and the flyers would be smart to keep Coburn because our d will be god awful without him and i see him being one the nhl's best bargains.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
How many Russians has there been on the last 4 Stanley cup champs? Why were picking Russians I don't know because you don't win championships with them.

I know you conveniently said last four Stanley cups because you want to leave out this scum russian guy.

geno-bo.jpg

Can't win with them at all.

Also, you seem to forget about the back to back cups with the Wings. They had the Russian Five.

TLDR; Basing a team off nationality is one of the stupidest reaching points you can make. It's almost saying that you should get Slovenians cause they know how to win the cup.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I know you conveniently said last four Stanley cups because you want to leave out this scum russian guy.

geno-bo.jpg

Can't win with them at all.

Also, you seem to forget about the back to back cups with the Wings. They had the Russian Five.

TLDR; Basing a team off nationality is one of the stupidest reaching points you can make. It's almost saying that you should get Slovenians cause they know how to win the cup.

Yea Pittsburgh had what like 2 Russians when they won, LA had Voynov, dunno if Chicago or Boston had ANY. Obviously if they're elite level talents you'd want them on your team, but filling out your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines with Russians just seems like a horrible way to build a team. No one can honestly say they see Slepshyev and Yakimov as top liners here can they?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Yea Pittsburgh had what like 2 Russians when they won, LA had Voynov, dunno if Chicago or Boston had ANY. Obviously if they're elite level talents you'd want them on your team, but filling out your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines with Russians just seems like a horrible way to build a team. No one can honestly say they see Slepshyev and Yakimov as top liners here can they?

You look at the individual talent, not the country of origin. Pretty simple way to build a team.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

Man you are digging a hole... I'd stop while you are ahead but be my guest if you want to go on some sort of Don Cherry inspired xenophobic rationalization of how certain nationalities are inferior to others.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Considering that the Oilers right now have essentially no bottom 6 to speak of... I'd take Martians and Amazonian women (especially those in fact) if they could skate, hit and get more than the handful of goals in 48 games that the current squad down there have produced.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

You can't seriously be suggesting that only elite level Russians are worth having

Edit: I probably should leave that part out...

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
Nurse is the guy we wanted . But homer has said couts and schenn are off limits.

Coburn for nurse. That is neither a win lose situation for either team. In the mean time the oilers get a great mobile defeseman that can play all the hard minutes at 4.5 mill a year. Potentially can play at a top level till he is 35. For nurse a prospect whose ceiling is a bit higher scoring than coburn and potentially slightly better defensively because of his attitude.

I can see the the pros and cons for both sides. It is very hard to find a similar trade. Brian campbell was traded for a 1st and a young prospect on an expiring deal.

and Burns who is more gifted offensively than Coburn yet have put up similar even strength numbers received a first round pick a top 6 30 g forward and a top prospect. And Burns makes more than coburn.

I think edm would be smart to keep nurse and let all the young guys develop at the same age range, and the flyers would be smart to keep Coburn because our d will be god awful without him and i see him being one the nhl's best bargains.

I don't think Burns is a fair comp for Coburn at all. Burns is a legitimate top pairing 2 way d-man. He's a guy, imo, you can build a defense around, coburn isn't in that same league. I'd love to get Coburn, he certainly helps any team, but there's a reason he's not making as much as him, he's not as valuable. Burns is a much more dynamic presence, he has the ability to change games and I don't think Coburn is in the same boat.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You can't seriously be suggesting that only elite level Russians are worth having

Edit: I probably should leave that part out...

How many championship teams have had 3rd and 4th line Russians? I'm actually curious, because if my analysis is proven wrong ill gladly retract my statement. But from what I have seen teams that win the cup are teams with Canadians on those bottoms lines. Why that is I don't know but there are a few theories already out there.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't think Burns is a fair comp for Coburn at all. Burns is a legitimate top pairing 2 way d-man. He's a guy, imo, you can build a defense around, coburn isn't in that same league. I'd love to get Coburn, he certainly helps any team, but there's a reason he's not making as much as him, he's not as valuable. Burns is a much more dynamic presence, he has the ability to change games and I don't think Coburn is in the same boat.

He may be a legitmate top pair 2 way d man but he does not produce like it. The reason why coburn's points have gone down was because he was taken off the PP by Lavy and we have gone with a 4 forward attack and kimmo.

If you compare coburn to burns for just even strength play the numbers are very similar.

.22 for coburn and .26 for burns. So while burns may be that top pair dynamic 2 way defenseman he produces the same as coburn does even strength. And personally i think coburn is a bit better defensively.

EVBetting Site

Jun 29, 2011
Edmonton
How many championship teams have had 3rd and 4th line Russians? I'm actually curious, because if my analysis is proven wrong ill gladly retract my statement. But from what I have seen teams that win the cup are teams with Canadians on those bottoms lines. Why that is I don't know but there are a few theories already out there.

This holds more legitimacy with Russians because there is a very competitive league in their home country that generally offers more opportunity (role and dollar-wise) at younger ages than the NHL.

The mid-tier and below guys are the ones that are affected the most by this as well. The top ones will have top roles and top dollar regardless of league.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008

it's time to stop posting...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Good to see Don Cherry on HFOil

You dont see 3rd/4th liner Russians on NHL cup winning teams because most of the role players stay in Russia for more $ and better chances.

How can you not see Slepyshev as a top 6 player? He was a #1 OA pick in the KHL draft and was ranked in the top 20s for last years draft. Not many grinders can say that.

Yakimov may max out at 2c if he reaches full potential. But Russians are capable of playing depth roles to, see Grabo and Kulemin. And he has stated he is coming over

Would you rather pick role player plugs in the 2nd and 3rd? Its worked out really well with Hamilton, Abney and the rest of our horrible forward prospects. Sorry but its been proven to be a bad way to draft. I would rather go for skill in those rounds and trade for depth later

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta

Might be time to stop posting.

You slagged Nurse, now all Russians suck except for a few? Yeah, ok.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
How many years til Yak can apply for Canadian citizenship? We need to nip this Russian=/=Cup thing in the bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad