GDT: Official 2013 Draft Day thread IV: Oilers take Nurse @7. MacT adds all the picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
quoting Disgruntledgoat

And once MacT followed Holmgren into the bathroom and they had 'meaningful discussions' while Holmgren was taking a ****.

Hey, we were all told to expect movement.

taunting canadian

Jan 3, 2005
NHL draft value chart based on historical games played stats:

http://myslu.stlawu.edu/~msch/sports/Schuckers_NHL_Draft.pdf

Based on this, the conversion of the 37 into 5 picks or whatever, is likely mathematically a good move (although as this paper points out, games played is not the perfect metric for judging draft success).

Also, this points out that goalie success after the top few picks is pretty random. I fully expect the Oilers to draft a goalie in the later rounds.

Sloth Slothersons*

Oh god some of these posts are ****ing painful to read. I am disappointed that Monahan and Fucale were taken right before us, but I don't see much wrong with trading down in a deep draft if they didn't get their guy.

I am, however, upset that we couldn't land Bolland. What the hell happened there?
Also, I really want Coburn now.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
So far:

Rabble rabble, bold move, rabble rabble.

a second round pick being traded will haunt the franchise for years to come, and will be a dark day on our history.

Also, MacT has no idea what he is doing, and the off season is apparently one day long, only on the draft.

Wadewilson

Jun 27, 2006
Canada
So just a ton of picks? This is BOLD? I'm done till something good happens... Which may mean I never watch the oil again... :P

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I think the Oilers decided that instead of drafting 5th rounders in the 2nd round, they'll just trade the 2nd rounder for 4th and 5th rounders and avoid the criticism.

Loweryder

Jun 13, 2012
For everyone's information, the red line scouting report on Marc-Olivier Roy:

While thought of as a grinder who brings passion and intensity to each shift (which is accurate), that is short-changing his skill level. Good skater with speed and balance, and accelerates well. Wins a lot of races for loose pucks and is always 1st into corners. Works his bag off every shift and comes back hard on the backcheck. He’s an absolute buzzsaw with a motor that never quits. If his team loses the puck, he wants to go and get it back immediately. Stays in constant motion in the offensive zone, making him very difficult to check or contain. Soft hands for both giving and receiving passes. Gets shots away quickly around the slot and shows good accuracy. Competes like a ******* and always has his head in the game. Rugged and persistent on the forecheck. Reliable player at both ends who is continually improving. Also 6’1″ with a nice frame to fill out.

edit: apparently his game is very similar to that of kris versteeg

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Oh god some of these posts are ****ing painful to read. I am disappointed that Monahan and Fucale were taken right before us, but I don't see much wrong with trading down in a deep draft if they didn't get their guy.

I am, however, upset that we couldn't land Bolland. What the hell happened there?
Also, I really want Coburn now.

Bolland sucks now happened. Look at it this way... Chicago is thrilled with the return they got.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
With Bolland, given how great and classy the Hawks organization is they asked Bolland if he had a preference for where he wanted to go and chose Toronto.

I'm also okay with passing on Frolik....2.3 million for a 3rd/4th tweener winger is way too much.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
So far:

Rabble rabble, bold move, rabble rabble.

a second round pick being traded will haunt the franchise for years to come, and will be a dark day on our history.

Also, MacT has no idea what he is doing, and the off season is apparently one day long, only on the draft.

Yeah, some folks are making it out likes it the end of the world that the 37th pick got traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad