Official 2012 MasterCard Memorial Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
If I remember correctly though, Windsor got a stiff test in the playoffs before they got to Brandon, whereas Saint John really hasn't faced much adversity in the playoffs (no disrespect to Rimouski). I think both Edmonton and London will present a type of challenge to Saint John that they have not yet had to deal with, particularly in terms of the defence they will be facing.

Chicoutimi series, 3 of 5 game went to OT & you could say sags were the better team in 3 of the 5 games in that series.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
If I remember correctly though, Windsor got a stiff test in the playoffs before they got to Brandon, whereas Saint John really hasn't faced much adversity in the playoffs (no disrespect to Rimouski). I think both Edmonton and London will present a type of challenge to Saint John that they have not yet had to deal with, particularly in terms of the defence they will be facing.

I don't disagree with what you saying and you are right Windsor had a tougher road in the league playoffs but we will see how this turns out. Edmonton and London both have excellent teams especially on the defensive side of things, but I just think the scoring power and experience of this stage will be what pull Saint John to victory.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
Chicoutimi series, 3 of 5 game went to OT & you could say sags were the better team in 3 of the 5 games in that series.

I don't think you could... I do think you could say they had vastly superior goaltending and that was why it was close, but Saint John was the much better team I think.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
When talking about how "tested" Saint John was, keep in mind that this is a team that has been here before. Most of the roster and almost all of the core players were on the squad last season. So even if they may not have been pushed to the limit in the QMJHL playoffs, they have a better idea, as a group, of what to expect at the Memorial Cup compared to any of the other teams

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
I don't disagree with what you saying and you are right Windsor had a tougher road in the league playoffs but we will see how this turns out. Edmonton and London both have excellent teams especially on the defensive side of things, but I just think the scoring power and experience of this stage will be what pull Saint John to victory.

You may be right, but I think experience is vastly overrated. Edmonton hadn't even won a single playoff game prior to this post-season, let alone a round in the playoffs. Didn't matter. And leading up to the finals all we heard about in Edmonton was how Portland's experience would be the difference. Didn't matter. Then after Portland wins game 6 we hear again how they will have the advantage going into game 7 because of their experience. Again, didn't matter.

I think experience can be helpful, I just don't see it as the difference-maker that some others do. Plus, after four rounds of playoffs including a 7 game final series, I think the Oil Kings have lots of experience.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Edmonton isnt going to get run over the way people think. They were playoffs included 51 and 1 when leading after 2 periods. They went 2 months without a loss.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton isnt going to get run over the way people think. They were playoffs included 51 and 1 when leading after 2 periods. They went 2 months without a loss.
I don't think anyone is really thinking they are going to get run over.

It's not about the lack of quality from Edmonton, it's about how good London and Saint John are.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
I don't think anyone is really thinking they are going to get run over.

It's not about the lack of quality from Edmonton, it's about how good London and Saint John are.

I think it will be an eye-opener on Friday evening when the east finally gets to see how good Edmonton actually is. It's a crime how Sportsnet pretty much snubbed the WHL all year, particularly in the playoffs, so I get how the familiarity with Edmonton may not be there, but they are very good!

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I think it will be an eye-opener on Friday evening when the east finally gets to see how good Edmonton actually is. It's a crime how Sportsnet pretty much snubbed the WHL all year, particularly in the playoffs, so I get how the familiarity with Edmonton may not be there, but they are very good!
I watched the WHL this year, and Edmonton at least 3 or 4 times.

I've seen every single team in this tournament play at least once, and most 4 times at least with exception of Shawinigan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton make the final 2, but are you seriously so offended that you claim I don't know your league/team because I picked two other teams from different leagues.

Seriously.

goaliedad29

Dec 20, 2011
I watched the WHL this year, and Edmonton at least 3 or 4 times.

I've seen every single team in this tournament play at least once, and most 4 times at least with exception of Shawinigan.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton make the final 2, but are you seriously so offended that you claim I don't know your league/team because I picked two other teams from different leagues.
Seriously.

No, not at all. I was simply stating that I think many eastern hockey fans will be surprised/impressed with how good the Oil Kings are. I just think that most fans in the east don't appreciate how strong Edmonton (or the WHL) actually is because they likely haven't had the opportunity to see them play much, if at all.

We get a steady diet of the OHL and QMJHL here in the west via Sportsnet, but I don't think it really goes the other way... thats what offends me. There wasn't a single WHL finals game on nationally, even though it was by far the most compelling and competitive series.

Seriously. ;)

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
No, not at all. I was simply stating that I think many eastern hockey fans will be surprised/impressed with how good the Oil Kings are. I just think that most fans in the east don't appreciate how strong Edmonton (or the WHL) actually is because they likely haven't had the opportunity to see them play much, if at all.

We get a steady diet of the OHL and QMJHL here in the west via Sportsnet, but I don't think it really goes the other way... thats what offends me. There wasn't a single WHL finals game on nationally, even though it was by far the most compelling and competitive series.

Seriously. ;)
Okay, I understand you're point more now.

Seriously.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Saint John can play D in the want too....

How many teams can say they can play D like the SeaDogs ?

Who has the highend talent to go head to head with them ??

This team has dimensions..

Are tickets sold out ?

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
I don't think you could... I do think you could say they had vastly superior goaltending and that was why it was close, but Saint John was the much better team I think.

Completely wrong.

Corbeil played very well in the series.

Better then gibson. Sags dominated the two games here and one in sj.

Camshaft77

Jan 3, 2005
Ontario
You may be right, but I think experience is vastly overrated. Edmonton hadn't even won a single playoff game prior to this post-season, let alone a round in the playoffs. Didn't matter. And leading up to the finals all we heard about in Edmonton was how Portland's experience would be the difference. Didn't matter. Then after Portland wins game 6 we hear again how they will have the advantage going into game 7 because of their experience. Again, didn't matter.

I think experience can be helpful, I just don't see it as the difference-maker that some others do. Plus, after four rounds of playoffs including a 7 game final series, I think the Oil Kings have lots of experience.

You are entitled to that view. I respectfully disagree. I believe that Saint John being the defending champion with pretty much their whole core from a team that won the championship last season will be too strong for the competition. It is one thing when you have a seven game series to get a feel for your opposition, it is a whole new situation when you are on the national stage against other teams that are champions as well.

This will be a great tournament as it usually is. I am excited to see how London and Edmonton match up against each other, should be fun.

Nabru

Aug 29, 2009
It would not be right for Dale just to come in and coach all of a sudden. This is Mark's team, at least for the next two weeks. I like the Knights going in as underdogs. Seemed to work in the playoffs.

spfan

May 4, 2009
I think it will be Saint John's vs London in the finals with Saint John's winning it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad