Speculation: Offersheet Potential

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Listening to and observing the Leafs this year I have noticed the Leafs have pretty much thrown caution to the wind, abusing injury status, making players disappear, etc. I'm wondering if this new regime has a similar bad boy view of offersheets. With all these picks and guys who fill obvious needs (Barrie, Gudbranson, Vatanen, etc) out there, you think that management goes HAM and starts breaking the seemingly unwritten rules of NHL management?

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
A poor team can't start tossing picks through offer sheets.

Maybe in 2-3 years as the team gets better they might open up and start looking at RFAs.

I'd do it for a 21 year old Mcdavid though. :sarcasm:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Considering how Shanahan, Lamoriello, and Hunter want all the draft picks they can get, I would not think of an offer sheet for a long time because I can't see them wanting to risk it.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Offer sheet has to be your own pick. Would be a problem if the Leafs accidentally give the 1st overall + for an RFA.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Seth Jones would be a target I would go after. I'd rather not offersheet in general but if we can get Seth Jones for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd that would be a steal. Young top 2 RHD for the future? Sign me up. You likely are targeting a guy to have the same upside with that 1st and the 2nd and 3rd would be the cost the acquisition cost.

Would I trade a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for Jones? Not this draft but next yes. Would I send the offersheet? Yes.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Offer sheeting good players to try to acquire them is willingly paying above the retail price. Let's overpay a guy so we can get him AND give up a bunch of assets! Unless that player is McDavid or Ekblad, I'm not interested.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Considering how Shanahan, Lamoriello, and Hunter want all the draft picks they can get, I would not think of an offer sheet for a long time because I can't see them wanting to risk it.

Based on every comment out there from Lou, it sounds like we won't be using all these picks at the draft. I am also not suggesting any offersheets involving the 1st round pick. That would be crazy. But seeing as we have an abundance of 2nds I could see the loss of that pick as tolerable under the right conditions. I also imagine the Leafs are more interested in the threat of an offersheet vs paying out with one.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt they're scared of Offer Sheets, it's probably more that offering them rarely makes sense.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The 2016 Toronto Maple Leafs aren't taking these sorts of shortcuts. Offer sheets get matched anyways. It takes a gross overpayment to have an offer sheet not get matched.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
If a player is worthy of an offer sheet, more often then not it will be matched. The only way i see an offer sheet being beneficial is forcing a division rival to over play for a core player, hindering their ability to pay a supporting cast.

I could see the leafs doing this with a Ekblad or Eichel.

Mad Brills*

They won't use offersheets, but I think they'll be trading picks for players next year.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
I think it'd be a good thing to explore. You'd rather a 21 year old you know is great than an 18 year old you don't know about with your 2017 pick, and in all honesty, there's too much talent to be a lottery team next year anyway. Current result is a result of a terrible shooting percentage, by far the worst in the league on the power play, and Bernier having a shockingly disastrous year. Those aren't likely to repeat themselves. Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Leipsic, Brown, and Leivo all look like legit players next year, and there's still a strong chance at Stamkos. Move a 10-20 pick for Tyson Barrie? Sure.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Offer sheeting good players to try to acquire them is willingly paying above the retail price. Let's overpay a guy so we can get him AND give up a bunch of assets! Unless that player is McDavid or Ekblad, I'm not interested.

Some teams are cap****ed or on a tight budget. Don't really have to pay above their value. Calgary didn't for Hamilton, which was a threat of offer sheet situation.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The 2016 Toronto Maple Leafs aren't taking these sorts of shortcuts. Offer sheets get matched anyways. It takes a gross overpayment to have an offer sheet not get matched.

Exactly, it's a shortcut to spending picks and overpaying. Why?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I don't think this Leafs brass discounts anything as an option, but I really doubt it's an option they explore seriously. Because at first glance, it's just way too high of a price.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Based on every comment out there from Lou, it sounds like we won't be using all these picks at the draft. I am also not suggesting any offersheets involving the 1st round pick. That would be crazy. But seeing as we have an abundance of 2nds I could see the loss of that pick as tolerable under the right conditions. I also imagine the Leafs are more interested in the threat of an offersheet vs paying out with one.

Problem with that is most offer sheets involve 1-4 first round picks depending on how much money you offer. Team doesn't get to pick the picks it offers. Plus the picks must be your own picks not acquired picks.

Average annual value Compensation

Less than $1,205,377 Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328 Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater Four first-round picks

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Offer sheets are not a way for bad teams to acquire core players.

It's only useful for a good team that isn't risking the same value in draft picks.

If say a Chicago decided to break up Toews/Kane to spend money elsewhere and traded Kane for futures then decided to roll the dice on a huge RFA offersheet it would make sense as they wouldn't be losing top 5 picks more then likely.

For almost any other team they risk giving away top end draft picks meaning the idea is pointless since almost every one of those teams needs depth more then 1 player.

Add in the fact that all you're really doing is taking the negotiating away from the team that owns the player and there's a reason the only successful RFA signings have been disasters for the teams signing the player and giving up the compensation.

Not sure why people bring this up so often when it's literally the last way a rebuilding team is going to try and acquire star players.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
You want to offersheet someone as a lottery team. Ouch.

Yeah, it is :facepalm: worthy to even think about using an offer sheet. :shakehead

Don't forget, we've got some talent coming up that could be targeted in retaliation! :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad