Value of: Offersheet from Edmonton for Lindholm

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
You aren't getting Lindholm it's a fantasy not based in reality and I don't think Chiarelli is stupid enough to burn away 4 first round picks when he has so many high dollar players that have to be dealt with, the Oilers drafting after the 1st round speaks for itself, so he won't be relying on that to supplement his roster.

Then factor in the canadian dollar, and the bottom line is the Oilers would have to offer significantly more to him than Anaheim would for the dollars to be equal.

Chias drafting with the oilers after the first round is quite good actually.

All salaries are paid in US dollars, regardless of team.

The oilers roster is all but set for the next 5-10 years after this signing. Shade from other gms is a second thought.

Every gm has needs, and if we'll take futures, players like eberle will return assets that allow us to restock the cupboard.

Again, pls offer sheet lindholm chia. Bonus being it hurts a divisional opponent that is on the decline; we can expedite that.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Given 2 more years to accomplish this, because that is when McDavid and Nurse need new contracts.

McDavid @8 + Lindholm @ 7.5 + Drai @ 5 + Nurse @ 3(bridge) = 23M

Currently the Oilers have 6.9 in cap space + Ferrence @ 3.25 + Fayne@ 3.65 + Pouliot @ 4 + Eberle/Nuge @6 = 23.8M. And if the cap goes up a few million a season as it traditionally has, that gives more room.

Still wont work. You just subtracted 3 players from current roster yet not changing the cap. Going to sign 3-5 player slots to 750k each?

Ducksgo*

This is incorrect. Lindholm would be paid in US dollars in Edmonton, just as he would in Anaheim.

This is also correct. Check the CBA and other rules on it.

Edit: I've done my research on the Canadian swap. He's gonna get paid equal whether he signs or not. Currency exchange has no matter here. He will be as paid as in Anaheim. And that's why it's worrisome

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki

This is what you're basing your generalizations on? Okay.

Out of curiosity again - where's the "lol Lindholm 6+ too high" ?

You quoted ZERO posts that I asked for. Good job there. One reason might be that they don't even exist.

Last edited:

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Why would the Oilers offer a win now team nothing but those picks for such a good young defenseman who was drafted 6th overall and plays for a division rival? It should be common sense Ducks would say no way in hell.

Not trading Fowler when the best player we get back is Pouliot

The Oilers would rather do that then just offer sheet Lindholm forcing the Ducks to match or eat the exact same compensation.

Simply offer the compensation. If the Ducks dont like it, fine. But dont cry foul when someone offer sheets him after you reject the compensation in trade.

I dont think the Oilers will but some team will.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The Ducks are not in cap trouble right now, therefore your prediction from a year ago is wrong. If I say it will rain tomorrow and it doesn't, I was wrong.

No I was correct in saying they would be in cap trouble because a few were saying they wouldn't be in cap trouble and would be able to keep all of their players.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Offer sheets really only work when youre gambling on a rising star and you give up one first and a third.

Anything higher is too much. 1st rounders are too valuable in todays cap world where most NHL players are drafted in the first two rounds.

Lindholm is great but no ones giving up four first rounders for him. Anything less and the Ducks will just match.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Offer sheets really only work when youre gambling on a rising star and you give up one first and a third.

Anything higher is too much. 1st rounders are too valuable in todays cap world where most NHL players are drafted in the first two rounds.

I disagree in this case.

Lindholm is worth 2 firsts 2nd and third from a rising team. In my opinion the Oilers would draft 13th, then 20th the year after.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The Oilers would rather do that then just offer sheet Lindholm forcing the Ducks to match or eat the exact same compensation.

Simply offer the compensation. If the Ducks dont like it, fine. But dont cry foul when someone offer sheets him after you reject the compensation in trade.

I dont think the Oilers will but some team will.

You think some team will offer four 1st's? Unlikely.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not worth an offer sheet. ANA would match, plus even if they didn't giving up 4 1sts is too much and I think the world of Lindholm.

In my view, Lindholm is the most valued asset on ANA by far. Why haven't they just paid the ****ing kid? Stop being so bloody cheap.

Ducksgo*

The oilers roster is all but set for the next 5-10 years after this signing. Shade from other gms is a second thought.

Every gm has needs, and if we'll take futures, players like eberle will return assets that allow us to restock the cupboard.

Again, pls offer sheet lindholm chia. Bonus being it hurts a divisional opponent that is on the decline; we can expedite that.

Which Murray would be fired based off your last statement. We have no caliber defenseman to match his skills nor prospect to replace him as a number one. We have number 2s if lucky and IF they pan out right. Ducks would be stupid not to match. And if Edmonton does the same crap again like Penner I would go after McDavid, just to piss Edmonton off.

Yah we would get you to max out on McDavid. Both teams can play hardball. One time shame on you, second time shame on me.

Oct 18, 2011
All salaries are paid in US dollars. Tax rates would be the thing to look at, and I suspect it's marginally worse in California
I am basing it off of what happened with Stamkos, and the projections a Canadian team needed to equal what Tampa would and the figure was they would need to offer over 12 million for 7 years, to equal what he would Make in Tampa at 8.5/8 although I guess that could be based partially on tax figures, although I guess the salary cap itself is what is directly affected by the canadian dollar

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Which Murray would be fired based off your last statement. We have no caliber defenseman to match his skills nor prospect to replace him as a number one. We have number 2s if lucky and IF they pan out right. Ducks would be stupid not to match. And if Edmonton does the same crap again like Penner I would go after McDavid, just to piss Edmonton off.

Yah we would get you to max out on McDavid. Both teams can play hardball. One time shame on you, second time shame on me.

McDavid will be signed for max term before he even reaches RFA status.

But I agree, you guys will do whatever it takes to keep Lindholm. Not worth even trying to offer sheet him.

Oct 18, 2011

How would you even know, Chiarelli has been there for one whole year :help:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There, I corrected it few you... every fanbase has some over exubant posters who are likely less than 16 years of age or don't know what they their *** from a hole in the ground... and sometimes even the knowledgeable posters get it wrong, due to being too much a homer or have their love-glasses on with a specific player.

I for one would have never thought Hall gets you Lindholm. I said a year ago that the Ducks would be in cap trouble this year and that Lindholm would be getting 6+ this year and a few Ducks posters thought it was too high... now it might be too low by a little and they also argued the Ducks would not be in cap trouble. Anyone who knows anything about player values knows that very good 1st pairing D are more valuable than very good 1st line wingers.

This is what you're basing your generalizations on? Okay.

Out of curiosity again - where's the "lol Lindholm 6+ too high" ?

Where did I say someone said "lol Lindholm6+ too high"? I said a few Duck posters said it was too high. Although there was one poster that basically did laugh at me. Why are are trying to make this a pissing match? Is that all some of you posters try to do in here?

I said Lindholm will get $6m and here is what some said (again, a year ago)...

Ducks Nation* " :laugh: lindholm will get 5"
Vipers31 "I think that's shooting a bit high in some cases, especially given that Murray is a guy that is pretty darn good at getting good value for his RFAs (unlike some of his UFAs). For example, I see Lindholm closer to 5."
anezthes "My guess is 5M. Fowler got 4M, can't see them giving Lindholm 6M."

You are right the others were best guesses and not necessarily saying Lindholm wouldn't get $6m and most of them weren't far off.

Again, I am one of those that do not thing offer sheeting is the way to go and I do believe the Ducks would match 'almost' anything any other team would offer Lindholm. The reason I say almost is if some team went way off the board and offered an AAV of $10m+.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Not worth an offer sheet. ANA would match, plus even if they didn't giving up 4 1sts is too much and I think the world of Lindholm.

In my view, Lindholm is the most valued asset on ANA by far. Why haven't they just paid the ****ing kid? Stop being so bloody cheap.

RFA's are typically the last to get paid, especially those that have no arbitration rights.

All of this offer sheet talk usually turns out to be nothing but noise when Anaheim eventually gets Lindholm signed.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Where did I say "lol Lindholm6+ too high"? I said a few Duck posters said it was too high. Why are are trying to make this a pissing match? Is that all some of you posters try to do in here?

I said Lindholm will get $6m and here is what some said (again, a year ago)...

Ducks Nation* " :laugh: lindholm will get 5"
Vipers31 "I think that's shooting a bit high in some cases, especially given that Murray is a guy that is pretty darn good at getting good value for his RFAs (unlike some of his UFAs). For example, I see Lindholm closer to 5."
anezthes "My guess is 5M. Fowler got 4M, can't see them giving Lindholm 6M."

You are right the others were best guesses and not necessarily saying Lindholm wouldn't get $6m and most of them weren't far off.
You don't even know what Lindholm gets still, but you're making your own assumptions seem as they're gospel.

You said few Ducks fans said that and failed to show ANY that did.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I am basing it off of what happened with Stamkos, and the projections a Canadian team needed to equal what Tampa would and the figure was they would need to offer over 12 million for 7 years, to equal what he would Make in Tampa at 8.5/8 although I guess that could be based partially on tax figures

That's because of Florida's tax rate vs. Canada's. It has nothing to do with Canadian dollars vs. US dollars.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
RFA's are typically the last to get paid, especially those that have no arbitration rights.

All of this offer sheet talk usually turns out to be nothing but noise when Anaheim gets Lindholm signed.

McDavid will be locked up well in advance though. He's not like everyone else.

Completely agree on the last part. Lindholm is an absolute stud, I see him already as a #1 with potential to become a franchise calibre D. ANA should and will lock him up, great player. Being in the same division I've seen him play lots and he's definitely impressed me.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Still wont work. You just subtracted 3 players from current roster yet not changing the cap. Going to sign 3-5 player slots to 750k each?

Do you think the cap will be static for the next 2 years? It was supposed to be this season and still went up 4M. Even if it goes up 4M over the next 2 seasons that is plenty to work with. Ference and Fayne's contracts run out and can be replaced by prospects. Prade Pouliot for a prospect or a player making less. Trade Eberle for a prospect and a 1st in a couple of years.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I am basing it off of what happened with Stamkos, and the projections a Canadian team needed to equal what Tampa would and the figure was they would need to offer over 12 million for 7 years, to equal what he would Make in Tampa at 8.5/8 although I guess that could be based partially on tax figures, although I guess the salary cap itself is what is directly affected by the canadian dollar

Yeah, that's from the massive taxes they have in eastern Canada vs zero taxes in Florida. It costs the franchises themselves far more to pay their players, but the players get the same base salary in dollars regardless of the franchise location.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
McDavid will be locked up well in advance though. He's not like everyone else.

Completely agree on the last part. Lindholm is an absolute stud, I see him already as a #1 with potential to become a franchise calibre D. ANA should and will lock him up, great player. Being in the same division I've seen him play lots and he's definitely impressed me.

I wasn't talking about McDavid, he'll likely get an extension a year before his ELC is finished. I'm talking about the pecking order of getting players signed during an offseason. Pending UFA's are typically the priority and are at the forefront for a GM. As long as QO's are extended to RFA's, it gives the GM time to work on it later. RFA's with arbitration rights usually get priority over those that don't because there is an actual deadline to get a deal done. RFA's with no arbitration rights are typically the last to get taken care of is what I was saying.

Lindholm will eventually get signed. He's a stud and everyone knows it. People can thump their chest with 'we'll oversheet him' and all that BS, that's all it is... a bunch of bullcrap. There has been not a mention of any friction between Anaheim and Lindholm so it's not like Boston and Hamilton where there were some whispers. In this case, nothing. I feel for Anaheim fans having to deal with this crap. Not singling you out, just saying in general.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2017/points/all/all/rfa

theres still like 10+ big name RFAs. Unless these guys are crosby level, they don't get priority over UFAs. Most of these Gms don't feel the threat of offersheets since they have cap room to match. If they didn't feel they can get re-signed, they would have gotten traded at the draft where they can get picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad