Confirmed with Link: offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
So give him another shot to screw the franchise over? Yeah, that's seems real smart.

Dodged a bullet with B.Richards. Another with R.Smyth. Another with Comeau refusing a 2yr deal. Just how many chances do you want to give this guy?

A 2 year Comeau deal won't exactly screw the franchise over. And its easy to say we dodged a bullet on Richards after it happened. For all we know Richards could've been a great fit here. At the time it seemed like a great move to everyone. We can't look at "what ifs" as some players perform differently under different coaching systems. Its like saying lets fire a GM because he drafted Alexandre Daigle over Chris Pronger.. At the time over 20 other teams would do the same.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
What are people saying on the main board about COL blackmailing CGY and that they knew about this rule before matching?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
A 2 year Comeau deal won't exactly screw the franchise over. And its easy to say we dodged a bullet on Richards after it happened. For all we know Richards could've been a great fit here. At the time it seemed like a great move to everyone. We can't look at "what ifs" as some players perform differently under different coaching systems. Its like saying lets fire a GM because he drafted Alexandre Daigle over Chris Pronger.. At the time over 20 other teams would do the same.

You're right we can look at what ifs all day but at the end of the day Feaster made an offer that would have seriously jeopardized the future(next 5 years) of this franchise because he and is legal team overlooked the CBA. As the GM he is responsible for front office failures as the coach is for on ice failures, he must go this is to big of a mistake to simply forgive.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
It was confirmed on twitter no teams tendered offers. There was discussions but nothing on paper. Same as if they were testing waters to see if he would be will ing to sign beyond his RFA years.

Calgary's offer got him in the flames, or screws over COL because of the date, and qualifying offer next year. It's plain as day this was over looked.

You have to think some teams new about this. COL is stupid cuz they will lose him for far less when he is an unsigned RFA again next year with a minimum offer of 6.5 the return won't be as good as a 1st and 3rd.

Regardless, I like everything Feaster has done. But this is grounds for dismissal.

gcjag

Sep 11, 2009
Flames statement on offer sheet

“Prior to tendering the offer sheet for Ryan O’Reilly we, as a hockey operations department, examined whether there were any impediments to our successfully securing the services of the player including, but not limited to, his having played in the KHL after the start of the current NHL season.

Our interpretation of the Article 13 transition rules governing restricted free agents (“RFAâ€), and the applicability of Article 13.23 under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to such RFA’s was, and continues to be, different than the NHL’s current interpretation as articulated to us this morning. Moreover, throughout our discussions, the player’s representative shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23.

While we were prepared to advance our position with the NHL, in light of Colorado’s having matched the offer sheet it is now an academic point. As such, we will have no further comment on the matter, the player, or the offer sheet process.â€

Jay Feaster
General Manager

- See more at: http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...vr.it&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.Y3n8Vmvb.dpuf

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
You're right we can look at what ifs all day but at the end of the day Feaster made an offer that would have seriously jeopardized the future(next 5 years) of this franchise because he and is legal team overlooked the CBA. As the GM he is responsible for front office failures as the coach is for on ice failures, he must go this is to big of a mistake to simply forgive.

All I will say is, I don't see him ruining this team if he stays on board. Many GMs make mistakes and maybe he does pay for it. But if he doesn't everyone needs to move on. He's been making all kinds great moves and will not ruin this team if given that second chance.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
All I will say is, I don't see him ruining this team if he stays on board. Many GMs make mistakes and maybe he does pay for it. But if he doesn't everyone needs to move on. He's been making all kinds great moves and will not ruin this team if given that second chance.

I agree I like what he has done and think he will continue to do a good job, but for me this is a point of holding people accountable.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Flames statement on offer sheet

“Prior to tendering the offer sheet for Ryan O’Reilly we, as a hockey operations department, examined whether there were any impediments to our successfully securing the services of the player including, but not limited to, his having played in the KHL after the start of the current NHL season.

Our interpretation of the Article 13 transition rules governing restricted free agents (“RFAâ€), and the applicability of Article 13.23 under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement to such RFA’s was, and continues to be, different than the NHL’s current interpretation as articulated to us this morning. Moreover, throughout our discussions, the player’s representative shared our interpretation and position with respect to the non-applicability of Article 13.23.

While we were prepared to advance our position with the NHL, in light of Colorado’s having matched the offer sheet it is now an academic point. As such, we will have no further comment on the matter, the player, or the offer sheet process.â€

Jay Feaster
General Manager

- See more at: http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comm...vr.it&utm_medium=twitter#sthash.Y3n8Vmvb.dpuf

Wow is that ever thoroughly embarrassing. The club should of inquired about the the clause BEFORE tending the offersheet. Very poor foresight on their part.

Schalkenullvier*

honestly, if you fire feaster over this, you have to fire every single lawyer, consultant, etc. Don't teams have CBA experts? It's emberassing that not a single guy caucht on to this, and while Feaster of course has to take responsibility, everyone is at fault here.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
honestly, if you fire feaster over this, you have to fire every single lawyer, consultant, etc. Don't teams have CBA experts? It's emberassing that not a single guy caucht on to this, and while Feaster of course has to take responsibility, everyone is at fault here.

No they caught it and misread it. This is suppose to be Feaster's area of expertise and he dropped the ball real bad.

berto14

Oct 1, 2009
Here's a question -- we sign O'Reilly to the offer sheet and Colorado decides not to match, we give up the picks. Would O'Reilly not be on our RFA list at that point??? What if he didn't play for the rest of the season and we recalled him for the start of next season???

Schalkenullvier*

No they caught it and misread it. This is suppose to be Feaster's area of expertise and he dropped the ball real bad.

I'm not quite sure of that. Yeah I know it's in the press release so the burden of proof is on me, but I'm not convinced.. stating that they misread it in my opinion is an easier thing to do that saying that they weren't even aware. For what it's worth RoR's agent was on the Marek vs. Wyshinski podcast today and said their camp had no idea of this rule, and guessed that the majority of GMs and even league executives didn't either.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Sooooo has COL filed his contract with the NHL or are they gonna screw is back?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Here's a question -- we sign O'Reilly to the offer sheet and Colorado decides not to match, we give up the picks. Would O'Reilly not be on our RFA list at that point??? What if he didn't play for the rest of the season and we recalled him for the start of next season???

Can't do that, as soon as he signs he goes on the waiver wire.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm not quite sure of that. Yeah I know it's in the press release so the burden of proof is on me, but I'm not convinced.. stating that they misread it in my opinion is an easier thing to do that saying that they weren't even aware. For what it's worth RoR's agent was on the Marek vs. Wyshinski podcast today and said their camp had no idea of this rule, and guessed that the majority of GMs and even league executives didn't either.

Most GM's probably didn't know about the rule as it was originally suppose to take effect next year but poor wording made it work this year, and unlike most GM's Feaster offered the contract regardless of who else knew about it it was his job to know.

Sooooo has COL filed his contract with the NHL or are they gonna screw is back?

They could screw us but then Columbus get ROR for free so they also get screwed.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
So, will O'Reilly be put on waivers by COL then? Or no since he originally was from their roster?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad