Confirmed with Link: offer sheet on Ryan O'Reilly

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
So is it this year's first we're giving up or next? This isn't exactly the rational thing to do but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see him suit up. A first+third is good value for the top tier #2 center ROR should turn out to be for us.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Wow. That came out of nowhere.

Hard to see the Avalanche not matching that.
People are saying he SIGNED the deal. But that sounds unlikely at this point. Well it's a big sack of cash for the wallet clenching Avs to deal with if they do match, so that would be fine too.

I'm kind of thinking they would have signed him already if they were fine with this type of deal, but they might be pressured to match because our first is definitely not going to be top 10 with ROR on board.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Ryan O'Reilly has signed the #flames offer sheet. Compensation to #avs is a first- and third-round pick if they don't match.

Steep price. A potential lottery pick for O'Reilly?

PoisonMushroom

I'm a fungi!
Mar 8, 2006
People are saying he SIGNED the deal. But that sounds unlikely at this point. Well it's a big sack of cash for the wallet clenching Avs to deal with if they do match, so that would be fine too.

If it's an offer sheet, he HAS signed it. That's how they work. Either Colorado matches, or he goes to Calgary. Period.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
The compensation is a first and third round pick if not matched. My guess is it will get matched
And it's 2 years 10 million according to tsn. 5 mil per

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

I'm kind of thinking they would have signed him already if they were fine with this type of deal, but they might be pressured to match because our first is definitely not going to be top 10 with ROR on board.

He did sign the deal; that's why we're hearing about it.

And I think it's very debatable whether or not the Flames' pick would be in the top ten with O'Reilly on board.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
O'Reilly signed it? Wow.

Of course he would. 2.5M signing bonus for this season and a 6.5M salary for next. His qualifying offer next season will have to be either 6.5M or 90% percent of that - regardless of how he plays. The offer sheet was designed in such a way to make the Avalanche unable to highly unwilling to match it. We'll have to see if the Flames were right about that.

I'm still on the fence about this - O'Reilly's young and still has the potential to improve. On that other hand, the Flames are still refusing to accept what they are and are still trying to find shortcuts instead of putting the actual work in to make a winner. This could be almost as disastrous as the Kessel trade was for Toronto if the picks given up end up being in the top five.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If this backfires it could set back the franchise many years... Just as much as the Phaneuf trade if not more.

On the other hand it could make us a playoff team. I'm beyond terrified right now.

snizzbone*

This is laughable.

Sorry Calgary, now you know what it's like to be a Leaf fan.

Respect Your Edler

Thank You 52
Sep 27, 2006
China
It's a good deal for you guys. ROR is probably going to be better than either of those picks and he is ready to play now, not in 3 years. He's also still young enough to build around. The salary is a bit steep, but I think it's worth it in the end for Calgary. You are only 3 spots out of a playoff spot without him. Lets not act like you are giving up the top pick in the draft.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
He did sign the deal; that's why we're hearing about it.
Yeah, I was thinking that he wouldn't be able to "sign" until the Avs decide whether or not to match... Brain fart! :help:

Anyway as for a top ten pick this year, inserting ROR right into our major weak position, I just don't see it. Unless we tear it down at the deadline even with this deal which seems even more unlikely... for better or worse. (Probably worse) :dunno:

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Makes the game tonight that much more interesting! This is a great move. O'reilly I think has the same value as a lottery pick and a 3rd is no big deal.
If the flames make the playoffs the picks are late, if we don't than at the deadline feaster can sell guys like sarich and stempniak for 2nds and 3rds and get some picks back. It's a win-win IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad