Proposal: Offer Matthews and Marner for Bedard

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
If that trade went down, I shudder at the kind of arrested development it could do to Connor Bedard. Imagine how this town would build up Bedard after hate trading Matthews and Marner away? He would be spoiled before his ELC ran out.
he'd fit right in then.

we harness spoiled brats, from our players to our coach to our GM.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm apparently not as down on the team as many are. Although losing to Florida now will certainly hurt, I don't find it to be quite as bad as many of the first round losses (thinking specifically of the last four). Regardless, I imagine Chicago will be happy with Bedard considering the "work" put in for the attempt.
Maybe I'm more down on them than I should be, dunno. I wasn't down on them at all before last night because I felt like they played well the first two games and could easily be up 2-0 and I thought there was a good chance to still win the series. But now, I guess I'm still in shock because I just don't understand how a group of guys with this much talent can possibly play that badly in the most important game of the year, I mean I just don't get it.

Does this really feel better than the other years? Down 3-0 is something new and if anything, it feels worse than the other years because to me, this is the most talented group I've ever seen on the Leafs. There's no passion, no pride, whatever cliches you want to use. I think it was Justin Williams who on Overdrive said that when they were down 3-0 to San Jose, the coach said I don't know if we're going to win this series or not but I know that we will not go down without a fight (or words to that effect). Williams said those words still resonate with him today and that's what pisses me off most about this group, they just don't seem to have the will to fight, much less win. Hayes said never mind winning the series, he's having trouble finding anyone who believes this group will even show up next game, can anyone really be confident that this group will not go down without a fight? After last night it seems like this group doesn't even know how to fight, it's the weirdest thing. I love McCabe, ROR was supposed to bring those intangibles and the other deadline adds too but nothing seems to work on these guys.

Then again, it would the a completely "Leafy" thing to do to play great and win 5-1 or something Wednesday. I just don't know.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Maybe I'm more down on them than I should be, dunno. I wasn't down on them at all before last night because I felt like they played well the first two games and could easily be up 2-0 and I thought there was a good chance to still win the series. But now, I guess I'm still in shock because I just don't understand how a group of guys with this much talent can possibly play that badly in the most important game of the year, I mean I just don't get it.

Does this really feel better than the other years? Down 3-0 is something new and if anything, it feels worse than the other years because to me, this is the most talented group I've ever seen on the Leafs. There's no passion, no pride, whatever cliches you want to use. I think it was Justin Williams who on Overdrive said that when they were down 3-0 to San Jose, the coach said I don't know if we're going to win this series or not but I know that we will not go down without a fight (or words to that effect). Williams said those words still resonate with him today and that's what pisses me off most about this group, they just don't seem to have the will to fight, much less win. Hayes said never mind winning the series, he's having trouble finding anyone who believes this group will even show up next game, can anyone really be confident that this group will not go down without a fight? After last night it seems like this group doesn't even know how to fight, it's the weirdest thing. I love McCabe, ROR was supposed to bring those intangibles and the other deadline adds too but nothing seems to work on these guys.

Then again, it would the a completely "Leafy" thing to do to play great and win 5-1 or something Wednesday. I just don't know.
It feels "better" for me in the sense that they've progressed from first round embarrassment to second round disappointment (if/when they lose to FLA). Mind you, "losing" to Boston instead of Florida would've arguably been seen differently (not as surprising) IMO. I'd still rather not look at Wednesday as 'the end' because it very well might not be. It will no doubt be tough though because Florida should be motivated to close things out on home ice. We'll see.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It feels "better" for me in the sense that they've progressed from first round embarrassment to second round disappointment (if/when they lose to FLA). Mind you, "losing" to Boston instead of Florida would've arguably been seen differently (not as surprising) IMO. I'd still rather not look at Wednesday as 'the end' because it very well might not be. It will no doubt be tough though because Florida should be motivated to close things out on home ice. We'll see.
Woll makes 38 saves for the shutout and it's a new series. ;)

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
How is Matthews getting dragged into this. We only made comebacks in round 1 because of Matthews.

40 goal man Nylander and 100-1 point man Marner haven't scored since game 2 of the playoffs. These 2 guys are 100 leagues below Matthews, don't use their names in the same sentence.

Especially don't use Marners, since nobody thinks Nylander is in Matthew's tier anyways. But god knows how, there actually exists people (including Marner himself :laugh:) who think Marner == Matthews.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Best game of the season, forget to show up at home in game 5. That's my prediction.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How is Matthews getting dragged into this. We only made comebacks in round 1 because of Matthews.

40 goal man Nylander and 100-1 point man Marner haven't scored since game 2 of the playoffs. These 2 guys are 100 leagues below Matthews, don't use their names in the same sentence.

Especially don't use Marners, since nobody thinks Nylander is in Matthew's tier anyways. But god knows how, there actually exists people (including Marner himself :laugh:) who think Marner == Matthews.
There lots of them in the Marner thread, some even think he's better than Matthews. Well, maybe not any more but roll it back a month and yeah, the Marner praise was way out of hand.

Best winger in the world ... smartest player in hockey history ... consecutive games point streak ... worth every penny ... already in nth place on the all-time Leafs this or that list ...

I really thought the days of Marner sucking in the playoffs were behind us, I really did.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Looks like crow's back off the menu, boys.
1673715283537431.gif

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This is also clearly not a healthy Matthews, can't shoot the puck anywhere close to his best either. I always thought those who said Marner > Matthews were not all there.

Reactions: Menzinger

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

1st round is over, it’s the 2nd round people are discussing and Matthews hasn’t been very good like the others.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Blackhawks say no.

Dubas would trade down anyway.

1683598786579.png

Blackhawks have Dubas to thank in part for today's outcome as they couldn't have done it without him.

Chicago GM Kyle Davidson was smart enough to take train wreck goalie Petr Mrazek and Leafs 1st round pick in 2022 off of Toronto's hands and that resulted in them finishing 3rd last and having the right odds and position to win the Connor Bedard sweepstakes with that lucky lottery ticket. Hawks needed a tanking goalie for just this purpose, and benefitted from a botched Dubas UFA signing, who was desperate to erase his mistake.

Then Dubas doubled down helping weaken the Hawks further with the TD move of Jake McCabe, Sam Lafferty, a conditional 5th round pick in 2024 and a conditional 5th round pick in 2025 from Chicago in exchange for a conditional 2025 1st round pick(top-10 protected), 2026 2nd round pick, Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev.

So Chicago is off to a great accelerated rebuilding start with Connor Bedard and 2 X Leafs 1st rounders (2022 and 2025).

Last edited:
Reactions: All Mod Cons

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Title says it all, that's my idea. I mentioned this in a couple of threads so I figured I'd consolidate the discussion in one place. Probably too early as we could still win the cup I guess (insert maniacal laughter here) but I think it's an interesting idea, and a move I would make.

Giving up a lot, obviously. But these guys are both 26 when next season starts so theoretically they've been at their absolute peak for a few years now already and according to current hockey wisdom, they will both start to decline in a couple of years. It should be a slow decline though and they should still be very good players for a number of years yet so it's a gamble, but a gamble I think I would take.

Not sure which teams would even consider such a proposal but if the right team wins the lottery, I guess it might be possible. Or am I completely shell-shocked and out to lunch?

dumb.

neither on elcs

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Let me be the first to say this to you then:

If Bedard becomes the next Matthews, I'll be flabbergasted.

As a completely player, or even just offensively.

• Haha
Reactions: Cleetus

Mar 26, 2010
There is no way Chicago does this. They laugh and hang the phone up.

Matthews is going to LA Anyway.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
That thread was mostly aimed at all the idiots who said that this team would never win a playoff round. It was always an incredibly stupid thing to say, this team kept making it to game 7 and had a chance to win every series they played and after listening to this nonsense for so many years, yes I was happy to (finally) say that they were wrong.
We can go back and quote if need be. It wasn't merely a thread about winning the first round and "the idiots" who said they wouldn't. It was about the reasons why "the idiots" said they wouldn't win a round and scenarios in which "the idiots" surmised the club might maximize certain assets...just like this (your) thread does.

It's like a cat under a couch it's tail wagging in the open and everyone laughing at the cat thinking no one sees it.

Come on Gary, lol.

Reactions: ACC1224

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
View attachment 705121

Blackhawks have Dubas to thank in part for today's outcome as they couldn't have done it without him.

Chicago GM Kyle Davidson was smart enough to take train wreck goalie Petr Mrazek and Leafs 1st round pick in 2022 off of Toronto's hands and that resulted in them finishing 3rd last and having the right odds and position to win the Connor Bedard sweepstakes with that lucky lottery ticket. Hawks needed a tanking goalie for just this purpose, and benefitted from a botched Dubas UFA signing, who was desperate to erase his mistake.

Then Dubas doubled down helping weaken the Hawks further with the TD move of Jake McCabe, Sam Lafferty, a conditional 5th round pick in 2024 and a conditional 5th round pick in 2025 from Chicago in exchange for a conditional 2025 1st round pick(top-10 protected), 2026 2nd round pick, Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev.

So Chicago is off to a great accelerated rebuilding start with Connor Bedard and 2 X Leafs 1st rounders (2022 and 2025).

What are the odds of mid to late 20's picks becoming impact players?

Honestly, of all the players drafted from 20 to 30(32), how many of them have become impact players over the last, say 40 years?

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad