Proposal: Offer Matthews and Marner for Bedard

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Title says it all, that's my idea. I mentioned this in a couple of threads so I figured I'd consolidate the discussion in one place. Probably too early as we could still win the cup I guess (insert maniacal laughter here) but I think it's an interesting idea, and a move I would make.

Giving up a lot, obviously. But these guys are both 26 when next season starts so theoretically they've been at their absolute peak for a few years now already and according to current hockey wisdom, they will both start to decline in a couple of years. It should be a slow decline though and they should still be very good players for a number of years yet so it's a gamble, but a gamble I think I would take.

Not sure which teams would even consider such a proposal but if the right team wins the lottery, I guess it might be possible. Or am I completely shell-shocked and out to lunch?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not with you on this one brother.
The only team I can see thinking about this is the Hawks. And that’s a big if as I don’t know if the Hawks would rush their rebuild but having an American face and another dynamic duo plus Toews and Kane potentially coming back is not something to just say No.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Didn't you start a thread not even a week ago telling everybody to eat crow when it came to the core 4 stepping up and finally winning a playoff round? Now you want to trade half of them for an unproven 18 year old?

Oh how the mighty have fallen! LOL.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Matthews and Marner are respectively one and two years away from achieving UFA status. Even the "best" team among those eligible to draft Bedard shouldn't figure to be competitive enough during such a short window in order for this trade to truly make sense for them.

Shooter14

57 years now and still hoping.
Feb 5, 2018
Seriously? Why would any team take on a cap hit of about $ 22.5 Milion? When they can't accomplish much in the playoffs basically in their prime.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Title says it all, that's my idea. I mentioned this in a couple of threads so I figured I'd consolidate the discussion in one place. Probably too early as we could still win the cup I guess (insert maniacal laughter here) but I think it's an interesting idea, and a move I would make.

Giving up a lot, obviously. But these guys are both 26 when next season starts so theoretically they've been at their absolute peak for a few years now already and according to current hockey wisdom, they will both start to decline in a couple of years. It should be a slow decline though and they should still be very good players for a number of years yet so it's a gamble, but a gamble I think I would take.

Not sure which teams would even consider such a proposal but if the right team wins the lottery, I guess it might be possible. Or am I completely shell-shocked and out to lunch?
EatCrow.gif

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Didn't you start a thread not even a week ago telling everybody to eat crow when it came to the core 4 stepping up and finally winning a playoff round? Now you want to trade half of them for an unproven 18 year old?

Oh how the mighty have fallen! LOL.
That thread was mostly aimed at all the idiots who said that this team would never win a playoff round. It was always an incredibly stupid thing to say, this team kept making it to game 7 and had a chance to win every series they played and after listening to this nonsense for so many years, yes I was happy to (finally) say that they were wrong.

Matthews and Marner are respectively one and two years away from achieving UFA status. Even the "best" team among those eligible to draft Bedard shouldn't figure to be competitive enough during such a short window in order for this trade to truly make sense for them.
Yeah I figured they would have to agree on new contracts first, should probably have added that point.

But whatever, seems like the consensus is that everyone would do this deal if we could, but the other team wouldn't agree. Makes sense to me. Though I thought maybe some people would say we were offering too much, I think there was some talk about this a few months ago and some people said that trading Matthews for the 1st overall was a dumb idea. But things have changed a lot since before game 1 against Florida, no doubt about it.

Looks like crow's back off the menu, boys.
They did win a round and many people ate their fill already. But yeah there's a new menu today for sure.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
That thread was mostly aimed at all the idiots who said that this team would never win a playoff round. It was always an incredibly stupid thing to say, this team kept making it to game 7 and had a chance to win every series they played and after listening to this nonsense for so many years, yes I was happy to (finally) say that they were wrong.

Yeah I figured they would have to agree on new contracts first, should probably have added that point.

But whatever, seems like the consensus is that everyone would do this deal if we could, but the other team wouldn't agree. Makes sense to me. Though I thought maybe some people would say we were offering too much, I think there was some talk about this a few months ago and some people said that trading Matthews for the 1st overall was a dumb idea. But things have changed a lot since before game 1 against Florida, no doubt about it.

They did win a round and many people ate their fill already. But yeah there's a new menu today for sure.
I think the value then turns out poorly for the Leafs if either or both of Matthews and Marner agree to new deals with the trading partner as part of the transaction. I ultimately just don't feel there's a deal to be made involving these components.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Matthews controls where he goes from here on out. No team in the lottery is crazy enough to trade him for Bedard. A value of capspace++ would be the pragmatic view. Unless we can negotiate in earnest with his team of choice, to get them their man 1 season pre-UFA, I wouldn't expect much in a trade for AM34.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
I don’t see Matthews re-signing with any team in the draft lottery outside of Arizona.

Arizona doesn’t have the other pieces to make a win-now trade like that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think the value then turns out poorly for the Leafs if either or both of Matthews and Marner agree to new deals with the trading partner as part of the transaction. I ultimately just don't feel there's a deal to be made involving these components.
Let's say M&M both agree to 11x7 deals with their new teams as part of the negotiations. Should have put that in the OP but anyhow, say that happens, bad value for the Leafs? I think it could go either way, it would be a gamble for both sides but it's a gamble I would take, probably partly because something just has to change with this team. A week ago I would have said no but today, it's a whole new world.

I don’t see Matthews re-signing with any team in the draft lottery outside of Arizona.

Arizona doesn’t have the other pieces to make a win-now trade like that.
True. It would have to be a team that thinks they can win now like maybe Pittsburgh, Washington or maybe Calgary. But obviously cap space is an issue so hard to pull this off. Those teams would have to trade a bunch of players they have now for picks etc., this was really more of a thought experiment than anything else. I'm a bit surprised that not even one person would rather have M&M than Bedard but after last night, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Reactions: Zero1

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Let's say M&M both agree to 11x7 deals with their new teams as part of the negotiations. Should have put that in the OP but anyhow, say that happens, bad value for the Leafs? I think it could go either way, it would be a gamble for both sides but it's a gamble I would take, probably partly because something just has to change with this team. A week ago I would have said no but today, it's a whole new world.

True. It would have to be a team that thinks they can win now like maybe Pittsburgh, Washington or maybe Calgary. But obviously cap space is an issue so hard to pull this off. Those teams would have to trade a bunch of players they have now for picks etc., this was really more of a thought experiment than anything else. I'm a bit surprised that not even one person would rather have M&M than Bedard but after last night, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
I'm apparently not as down on the team as many are. Although losing to Florida now will certainly hurt, I don't find it to be quite as bad as many of the first round losses (thinking specifically of the last four). Regardless, I imagine Chicago will be happy with Bedard considering the "work" put in for the attempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad