Proposal: Offer Matthews and Marner for Bedard

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
No team is trading draft pick (Bedard) away unless he pulls a Lindros and tells the team he will not play for them. Blackhawks are in full rebuild mode, you could offer Matthews, Marner and Nylander and they wouldn't take it. You are going to have 8 years of Bedard under contract before UFA status. The three Leafs mentioned are all there in the next 1-2 years.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
View attachment 705121

Blackhawks have Dubas to thank in part for today's outcome as they couldn't have done it without him.

Chicago GM Kyle Davidson was smart enough to take train wreck goalie Petr Mrazek and Leafs 1st round pick in 2022 off of Toronto's hands and that resulted in them finishing 3rd last and having the right odds and position to win the Connor Bedard sweepstakes with that lucky lottery ticket. Hawks needed a tanking goalie for just this purpose, and benefitted from a botched Dubas UFA signing, who was desperate to erase his mistake.

Then Dubas doubled down helping weaken the Hawks further with the TD move of Jake McCabe, Sam Lafferty, a conditional 5th round pick in 2024 and a conditional 5th round pick in 2025 from Chicago in exchange for a conditional 2025 1st round pick(top-10 protected), 2026 2nd round pick, Joey Anderson and Pavel Gogolev.

So Chicago is off to a great accelerated rebuilding start with Connor Bedard and 2 X Leafs 1st rounders (2022 and 2025).
So you're gonna mod their board from now on?

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
As I pointed out on the trade board, Chicago has no interest in trading Bedard, so the Leafs would have to overpay them with an offer they can't say no to. Something that we would NOT want to offer.

Something like :

Matthews (extended) + Rielly + Knies + Woll + Niemela + 1st rounder
for
Bedard + Seth Jones

That's probably what it would take. Definitely not worth it. Chicago will just keep Bedard, which is what they want and what they plan to do. Never a good idea to overpay for a player that a team will only trade for an overpay.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It's a non-starter and not worth discussing, no disrespect intended, it's just not a thing that is possible. Even if he Lindros'd it CHI would sit on it.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
How is Matthews getting dragged into this. We only made comebacks in round 1 because of Matthews.

40 goal man Nylander and 100-1 point man Marner haven't scored since game 2 of the playoffs. These 2 guys are 100 leagues below Matthews, don't use their names in the same sentence.

Especially don't use Marners, since nobody thinks Nylander is in Matthew's tier anyways. But god knows how, there actually exists people (including Marner himself :laugh:) who think Marner == Matthews.
Matthews is ripping it up this series compared to those guys....wait whats that? 0 goals you say. nevermind

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
What are the odds of mid to late 20's picks becoming impact players?

Honestly, of all the players drafted from 20 to 30(32), how many of them have become impact players over the last, say 40 years?

Pastrnak 25th pick

Not 20-30 range but impact players

(Bergeron 45th pick
Krejci 63rd pick
Marchand 71st pick)

The odds drop drastically to zero if you gave up your picks for rentals and Mrazek clean ups.

Reactions: lanceuppercut75

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We can go back and quote if need be. It wasn't merely a thread about winning the first round and "the idiots" who said they wouldn't. It was about the reasons why "the idiots" said they wouldn't win a round and scenarios in which "the idiots" surmised the club might maximize certain assets...just like this (your) thread does.

It's like a cat under a couch it's tail wagging in the open and everyone laughing at the cat thinking no one sees it.

Come on Gary, lol.
Like I said, it was mostly about that and I'm not going to go searching for the hundreds of times that has been said over the last 5 years or so. I can understand people saying they don't thing this team will ever win a round, saying they "can't" though is just stupid.

Pastrnak 25th pick

Not 20-30 range but impact players

(Bergeron 45th pick
Krejci 63rd pick
Marchand 71st pick)

The odds drop drastically to zero if you gave up your picks for rentals and Mrazek clean ups.
Seems like the odds drop drastically if you're not Boston. Still digesting their first round loss to Florida, just wow!

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Title says it all, that's my idea. I mentioned this in a couple of threads so I figured I'd consolidate the discussion in one place. Probably too early as we could still win the cup I guess (insert maniacal laughter here) but I think it's an interesting idea, and a move I would make.

Giving up a lot, obviously. But these guys are both 26 when next season starts so theoretically they've been at their absolute peak for a few years now already and according to current hockey wisdom, they will both start to decline in a couple of years. It should be a slow decline though and they should still be very good players for a number of years yet so it's a gamble, but a gamble I think I would take.

Not sure which teams would even consider such a proposal but if the right team wins the lottery, I guess it might be possible. Or am I completely shell-shocked and out to lunch?

Not sure they give up on Bedard, he's McDavid level and not sure the Leafs give up two elite superstars for one unknown NHL prospect. There is massive risk for both Chicago and Toronto. I don't dislike your sentiment but i do wonder how palatable that sort of mega trade would be for both teams.

I think you are right though that we need to move on from theh core 4, they look mentally defeated, they IMO don't think they can win. I think we can flip those for for 8 legit upper end players.

Players made like Filia, Dach, Debrincat bring speed and a competitive edge, Those three guys are too expensive but there are young players like those three waiting to break out that could be had for reasonable prices, you could do one of our stars for a couple of them. Trading Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, could make this team younger, cheaper and more competitive. It would be a ballsy move for the new GM but I think, given the results over the last 6 years, is there any other option?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure they give up on Bedard, he's McDavid level and not sure the Leafs give up two elite superstars for one unknown NHL prospect. There is massive risk for both Chicago and Toronto. I don't dislike your sentiment but i do wonder how palatable that sort of mega trade would be for both teams.

I think you are right though that we need to move on from theh core 4, they look mentally defeated, they IMO don't think they can win. I think we can flip those for for 8 legit upper end players.

Players made like Filia, Dach, Debrincat bring speed and a competitive edge, Those three guys are too expensive but there are young players like those three waiting to break out that could be had for reasonable prices, you could do one of our stars for a couple of them. Trading Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Tavares, could make this team younger, cheaper and more competitive. It would be a ballsy move for the new GM but I think, given the results over the last 6 years, is there any other option?
It was a thought experiment more than anything else. In the cap era, there's probably not enough lawyers in the world to figure out how to make a trade like this work.

You can't trade JT and I doubt the owners would approve of trading the other 3. It would be a ballsy move though and I'd be fine with it, at least there would be hope again and a reason to watch the games next season. I'm reminded of the season when we finished last overall with Babs at the helm. We didn't win many games but for the first time in ages, the team played with structure and you could envision a future where the team was good again and it didn't take long to arrive either. And of course if you trade the big 3 announcing a rebuild, it's possible JT would agree to move to a contender.

I'd be fine with just moving Marner too assuming the other two can be resigned for a fair price. But something has to change, hard to believe anyone can argue against that (except maybe for a couple of guys on my ignore list).

Reactions: Hellcat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad