Value of: Offer a D-man on your team for William Nylander (Mod warning #170)

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Any D Nylander gets traded for will be a tier below, especially RD that's just wing vs defense roster dynamics. Leafs best bet would be getting a D on an upwards trajectory and bank that he explodes in the future like Sergachev did.

Nylander for Montour before the Vatanen trade would have been about right, but now Ducks need to keep him badly AFAIK. Would be wiser to trade Marner for a higher potential RD im if Marner has more value.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
They have no legit right handed puck movers or ppqbs... Offense starts from the backend FYI

Since according to you they have none of it and that is where it starts, one is left to wonder how they have one of the highest offensive teams in the league no?

For the record, the top 10 offenses in the league, point totals by d-men (first number top 2, second top 3, third top 4):

TB 47 58 65
NYI 36 47 55
VGK 34 45 54
WPG 34 48 60
NSH 44 65 70
NYR 40 53 59
TOR 39 54 64
COL 39 47 54
WSH 38 48 55
NJ 30 38 46

Three teams with more offense from their to 2, two teams with more offense from their top 3, two teams with more offense from their top 4.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Really? Okay Leafs fans...nylander straight up for:

Provorov
Werenski
Klingberg
Hedman
Slavin
McAvoy
Dahlin

Anybody say no?

And yes fans of other teams, i know you would say no...rightfully so, just trying to prove a point.

Provorov- Maybe, Nylander at C is more valuable to me. Lean towards keeping Willy but his development pattern is all over the place right now. I'd like to see Babs commit to him as C right now but it's pretty clear there's a bigger game in that regard.

Werenski- Lean towards Yes

Klinberg- No

Hedman- Easiest Yes on here.....you can probably make an argument it's insulting he's in this group.

Slavin- He's been poor lately, I'd have to think about it. Is he regressing to the mean or just in a slump? He's also a lot older, same age as Rielly.

McAvoy- Yes

Dahlin- Yes, pretty easy one. Ceiling is just too much to pass up on.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
letang and Carter Rowney a 2nd round pick and a conditional 2nd round pick
for
Nylander or Marner and bozak and leo kamorov.

condition on pick is if letang doesn't play an average of 65 games over next two years it becomes a 1st or if pens resign bozak. it becomes a first

you arent getting both of those young guns + + for letang.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
The Avalanche aren't trading Barrie and Jost for Nylander.

leafs probably wouldnt do it either.
Barrie isnt the type of dman they need and while Jost is a very nice prospect, he doesnt do too much for them this year or next

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I watched Nylander close last couple of games. Leafs should just hang on to him, wouldn’t get any value for him in trade. Not saying he is a bust, just looks like a lot of players when the rookie shine comes off. He may turn out to be a decent NHLer....time will tell. At the moment, he would only bring back a bottom 5-6 defenseman. Maple leafs have a bunch of them already, I see no fit.
Ha ha. Is this a serious post?

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I watched Nylander close last couple of games. Leafs should just hang on to him, wouldn’t get any value for him in trade. Not saying he is a bust, just looks like a lot of players when the rookie shine comes off. He may turn out to be a decent NHLer....time will tell. At the moment, he would only bring back a bottom 5-6 defenseman. Maple leafs have a bunch of them already, I see no fit.
wow your evalution is so great, u should be a pro scout..or better u should stop posting, omg what a horrible evaluation and post

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
Any D Nylander gets traded for will be a tier below, especially RD that's just wing vs defense roster dynamics. Leafs best bet would be getting a D on an upwards trajectory and bank that he explodes in the future like Sergachev did.

Nylander for Montour before the Vatanen trade would have been about right, but now Ducks need to keep him badly AFAIK. Would be wiser to trade Marner for a higher potential RD im if Marner has more value.

It would be wiser for the Leafs to keep both and grow thier own d-men .

Reactions: Raymoondo

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017

There is a clueless one in every post, don't quit your day job you would never be hired as a scout! for FYI it was Shanahan who scouted and did most of the legwork on drafting Nylander, I'll take Shanny's expert opinion over yours 24/7, come back when you are a NHL GM and we might take you seriously!

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Here is the thing, Serg himself had doubters.

I have said this in other threads in the past 2 years, the time to try and grab a potential great dman is before they break out. Once they do, the odds of getting them are slim as most teams will just keep that young Dman.

In the Duchene threads, I said how Serg made sense when he was still in Montreal. I commenting on Carlo and how his value jumped thru the roof as a rookie. Now it's happening with Serg. As it is with Hanifin.

You can't get a Provy or Werenski anymore as they are too proven and important to their teams.

If you want to try and get that young Dman that could be a stud, you have to roll the dice on a young unproven guy that you think will "hit". That's what Tampa did and it's paying off.

Exact argument we would make in every Hanifin thread for the last couple of seasons. Some people just don't get it.

Provorov- Maybe, Nylander at C is more valuable to me. Lean towards keeping Willy but his development pattern is all over the place right now. I'd like to see Babs commit to him as C right now but it's pretty clear there's a bigger game in that regard.

Werenski- Lean towards Yes

Klinberg- No

Hedman- Easiest Yes on here.....you can probably make an argument it's insulting he's in this group.

Slavin- He's been poor lately, I'd have to think about it. Is he regressing to the mean or just in a slump? He's also a lot older, same age as Rielly.

McAvoy- Yes

Dahlin- Yes, pretty easy one. Ceiling is just too much to pass up on.

I'd love to know your definition of "poor". Has he taken a step back from being one of the top shutdown d-men in the game? Sure. Does that make him "poor"? Not even close; he's still up there. The Canes D as a whole has looked very pedestrian this season, but many are attributing that to terrible support from the forward group and hanging the D out to dry. I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B, but they'll come around.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
There is a clueless one in every post, don't quit your day job you would never be hired as a scout! for FYI it was Shanahan who scouted and did most of the legwork on drafting Nylander, I'll take Shanny's expert opinion over yours 24/7, come back when you are a NHL GM and we might take you seriously!

I certainly don’t know as much as Shanny when it comes to drafting and scouting. Nor do I think that Nylander is a bad pick or player. I just have eyes, he has regressed just like a lot of young players. I still think there is an nhl player there...but Nylander at the moment. Is basically worth nothing in a trade. I’d keep him and develop him.

The time to trade him was last June, not now

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I certainly don’t know as much as Shanny when it comes to drafting and scouting. Nor do I think that Nylander is a bad pick or player. I just have eyes, he has regressed just like a lot of young players. I still think there is an nhl player there...but Nylander at the moment. Is basically worth nothing in a trade. I’d keep him and develop him.

To the bold part....WTF are you talking about? To put this logic into perspective for you, Nylander isn't playing as well as last season...so he's basically worth nothing? Here's a couple of other players also not near as good as last season....tell me what they are worth...Draisaitl? Klefbom? Larsson? All worth basically nothing?

Reactions: thunder16

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto

Tied with the likes of Aho, Kadri, Arvidsson outscoring Toews, Rakell, Kreider, Patches.

Seems like he's about to break out of a slump.

Outscoring the majority of your team's forwards.

Sure would hope he's still an NHL player or I have some bad news about your team :/

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
To the bold part....WTF are you talking about? To put this logic into perspective for you, Nylander isn't playing as well as last season...so he's basically worth nothing? Here's a couple of other players also not near as good as last season....tell me what they are worth...Draisaitl? Klefbom? Larsson? All worth basically nothing?

FYI

I wouldn’t even acknowledge any provocative poster who clearly has an agenda and does not represent anyone else’s opinion. Leaf fans have seen here the vast majority of us non leaf fans see a lot of value in Nylander based on our offers of big pieces from our team and our very positive comments.

Nylander is a good player who has struggled this year, I would trade Trouba for him if forced to trade Trouba b/c he won’t sign.

Reactions: loyaltotheend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad