Offense

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Part of the issue is perception as well.

The North division is boiling over with really good offensive teams so it's gonna look bad if part of your lineup is struggling in this regard. It's also the tendency around here to not celebrate good things but focus on the bad.

If you want to look league wide, Toronto is 16th for goals for 5v5 goals for but only 5th in the division. Sure it looks a bit rough but strength of schedule and the small ten game sample certainly influence it. What if we rack up 25 goals against Vancouver (the worst D in the NHL since Nov. 2019)? Are we all of a sudden the best in the world? Gotta let all this play out.

How about celebrating that despite being in this offensive division, we only allow 1.99 goals/60 5v5? Our schedule hasnt come against all offensive scrub teams either (Hard to do that in this division). Thats lower than Boston, The Islanders, Columbus, Vegas, St. Louis, etc...

Still have to hear how we a "bad" 5v5 team all the time though......

FYI, Goal differential 5v5? 52.63. Thats 12th best in the NHL. Sucks to be us 5v5 I guess?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The Habs do currently have the better offence (and defence). Even with their game in hand though, they could still only be one point ahead of the Leafs (with a win in that game). There's more than one way to get things done and win games. All I care about right now is that the Leafs are doing just that, and at an effective clip.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Lehtonen was supposed to have a good point shot and I believe his assist came from a point shot that had the rebound tapped in. I've liked what I've seen from him, maybe more minutes from him will help in this regard.
Tbh I've been the opposite. I'm not comfortable when he's out there. Obviously he's only had a short sample size, but I don't feel confident with his defensive game. His PP game is fine, but 5on5 I would prefer Dermott or even look to take a shot with Sandin over him as he hasn't impressed me thus far.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tbh I've been the opposite. I'm not comfortable when he's out there. Obviously he's only had a short sample size, but I don't feel confident with his defensive game. His PP game is fine, but 5on5 I would prefer Dermott or even look to take a shot with Sandin over him as he hasn't impressed me thus far.

I haven't always noticed when he's on the ice so I'm not sure about him either. Sample size is super small so hard to tell, need to get him some more minutes I guess.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I thought Lehtonen was supposed to have a good point shot and I believe his assist came from a point shot that had the rebound tapped in. I've liked what I've seen from him, maybe more minutes from him will help in this regard.

Lehtonen was never described as having a bomb...his shots get through to the net which is really nice to see but they are usually snaps or wristers he gets off quickly before the other team can clog lanes up...no complaints here

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I agree, I think Mikko looks very comfortable with the puck on his stick, and generally makes good reads breaking out of the zone, and definitely looks great on PP2. But on the flip side, he really looks lost on the defensive side of things to me. He tends to chase the puck a bit instead of playing positionally sound. Not sure if it's stylistically different in Finland/KHL, but it is fairly noticeable to me. I see the tools to be a complete defensemen, but he needs some seasoning when it comes to his play without the puck IMO

Reactions: Atomos2

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Habs do currently have the better offence (and defence). Even with their game in hand though, they could still only be one point ahead of the Leafs (with a win in that game). There's more than one way to get things done and win games. All I care about right now is that the Leafs are doing just that, and at an effective clip.

Noting, Habs have scored 23 goals against the Canucks in those four games, and 16 goals in their other five games. Their non Canucks pace, is about the same as ours.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think Lack of speed is a big reason and has been for a couple of years. The fast players have hands of stone.

They only have three legit goal scores in Tavares, Nylander, and Matthews. Which really isn’t bad, but Tavares can’t get to the puck like he once could, Nylander doesn’t have the effort or desire to use his God given talent to become elite, and Matthews can be checked a little easier because Marner and Hyman can’t shoot.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Actually I think AM34 would score even more if he developed a better passing game. He's very predictably shoot first.
His shot is all world. No matter where he is on the ice, goalies will always have to respect that. He already is an elite passer, which is an underrated aspect of his game. If it were up to me, id let him rip that shot 2x more than he already does. One of the most adaptable shooters to ever play in the league IMO. he can beat any goalie clean on any hole. literally, top corners, bottom corners, 5 hole, along the ice. He's been in the league for like 5 seasons and he still makes goalies look stupid because he constantly keeps them guessing.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I haven't always noticed when he's on the ice so I'm not sure about him either. Sample size is super small so hard to tell, need to get him some more minutes I guess.
True. Fair enough. But atm, I prefer Dermott-Bogosian at 5 on 5 over Lehtonen-Bogosian for sure. Early days, but if Lehtonen could bring a higher level of offense into equation then my tune would change immediately.

Especially since we're desperate for any manner of offense outside the big four.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
You gotta have the long view on this team. What will a few blowouts early in the season do? I think it's good they have been in so many close games already. That's how it's going to be in the playoffs.

The only problem is that in the playoffs there won’t be nearly as many powerplay opportunities for us, which have played a big part in us winning these one goal games. Hopefully our 5 on 5 scoring will come around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suntouchable13

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
The only problem is that in the playoffs there won’t be nearly as many powerplay opportunities for us, which have played a big part in us winning these one goal games. Hopefully our 5 on 5 scoring will come around.

wait, you mean officiating has _helped_ us win these games??

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021
Habs shooting % won't continue. Leafs still have better offense imo

RogerR

Feb 2, 2021

Leafs are 19th in total PPs this season thus far. They are actually 31st in total # of minutes on the PP. What's the worst that can happen in the playoffs? Last again?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs are 19th in total PPs this season thus far. They are actually 31st in total # of minutes on the PP. What's the worst that can happen in the playoffs? Last again?
Actually the Leafs are 21st in total power play minutes so far this season.

Although it seems weird that since the 2018-19 Season when they signed Tavares and the talk was how good their power play could be, that year they ranked 30th in power play time and last season they ranked 27th.

So I wonder if some refs choose not to give them as many power plays and not call obvious penalties against them?

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With Ottawa, Vancouver and even Edmonton in the division I think all we’re missing is a couple of those blowout and track meet style games to pad the stats line for some of our superstars.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lehtonen was never described as having a bomb...his shots get through to the net which is really nice to see but they are usually snaps or wristers he gets off quickly before the other team can clog lanes up...no complaints here

Yes, he was hyped to have a slap shot from the point. There are more than a few examples of him unleashing a bomb from the point out there from KHL action. I think you’re downgrading his abilities due to his mediocre NHL start.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-lehtonen-special-defenseman/

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Yes, he was hyped to have a slap shot from the point. There are more than a few examples of him unleashing a bomb from the point out there from KHL action. I think you’re downgrading his abilities due to his mediocre NHL start.

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-lehtonen-special-defenseman/

Definitely not as I’m a huge fan of Lehtonen and I think he will be top 2-4 capable as he adjusts to the league, honestly if heard he had a seeing eye wrist shot but could hum a puck if he had to

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
I guess we will see if the offense comes or not. Edmonton which is an inferior team is besting teams more resoundingly than we seem to. Take the last couple of games, no problem scoring. Everybody is pounding Vancouver and Ottawa but we don't. I realize these teams get up for us but still. We will see after this layoff. I'm personally looking for an improvement there and secondary scoring better chip in!

Mar 14, 2011
Actually the Leafs are 21st in total power play minutes so far this season.

Although it seems weird that since the 2018-19 Season when they signed Tavares and the talk was how good their power play could be, that year they ranked 30th in power play time and last season they ranked 27th.

So I wonder if some refs choose not to give them as many power plays and not call obvious penalties against them?
The leafs had a .09 net pen/60 for the last 2 seasons combine, good for 15th in the league during that time period. Leafs didn't got many PPs but they also didn't got penalized as much, that is largely due to the refs not calling any penalties, except for the blatant ones whenever the Leafs are playing at home. This season however, the Leafs has definitely gotten many unfair calls on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad