Offense

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Watching some of these games around the league has me wondering. Why have we not rolled over any teams with this high powered offense? We only win by one goal every game.
Habs have destroyed Oilers, Canucks and Jet. I know we are concentrating on D but cant we do both? Don't use the excuse if us getting our legs and accustomed to new players (every team has). Head scratcher!

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Watching some of these games around the league has me wondering. Why have we not rolled over any teams with this high powered offense? We only win by one goal every game.
Habs have destroyed Oilers, Canucks and Jet. I know we are concentrating on D but cant we do both? Don't use the excuse if us getting our legs and accustomed to new players (every team has). Head scratcher!
efficiency

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

We've gotten 4 5v5 goals from our 3rd and 4th lines this year and their underlying numbers are putrid. Thats the biggest reason IMO

Looking forward to Thornton and Robertson coming back.

As for the Habs destroying teams, they've only played the other top two teams so far (in my opinion) and are 1-2 against them. Gotta let the season play out more.

Reactions: banks and ponder

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We've only scored less than three goals once. You score three and you win more often than not.

From 2016-17 to 2020-21 when we score exactly three goals we're 29-23-7. When we score exactly two goals we're 13-37-13.

We just need to stop allowing 3+ goals as often.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I hated on Marner but dude has been the play player. Simmonds also has been a positive. Nylander/Matthews are playing to their level.

I've been disappointed in guys like Soup (not his effort), Tavares, Kerfoot.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Honestly I think its been a trend with this club for over 2 years now. We very rarely blow teams out of the water. In fact we very rarely generate 40+ SOG. This group of players often passes high danger looks in an attempt to generate a tap in or "highlight reel" goal. Even when you look at Matthews goal on Saturday. Yes, It was a beautiful sequence, But I have seen similar plays like that not succeed more than the 1 time it did. The more consistently successful outcome on that play would have been Mitch taking a 1T from the hash marks on a terrible goalie. Yet the extra pass was made. It was a highlight reel goal, and showcases Mitch's talent in spades. But if the play had been run 100 times over, the higher probability outcome would have likely been the 1T in the slot. I certainly do not want to muzzle Mitch, you live and die by his creativity. That said, he may be the only guy in the lineup I am ok with doing that stuff. The rest need to have a shoot first instinct. Especially in the early goin of the season, when goalies tend to not be tracking the pucks as well.

I do feel like the Leafs have tried to activate the D a little more than the past 2 years, which has given our forwards a touch more space. But the D need to get more comfortable walking the blue and throwing a dart into traffic IMO. They still seem to want the D to keep the puck alive and just throw it back down low. Obviously not every time the D touch the puck am I expecting them to shoot, just wouldn't hurt every once and a while. Stretches the ice a bit for the skill guys

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I've mostly thought Kerfoot's looked really good myself. Tavares has been pretty good too, not worried about him at all.
Ya I'd have to agree. I think Kerf has had more good games than bad. His line has seen the most movement all year. Started with Hyms and Soup, and now he's with Simmer and Vesey. And almost every combination in between. Think he has played hard and generated a lot of energy all year. I have actually been pretty impressed with his game TBH

and JT has been the Tim Duncan of the NHL for the last 10+ years. Will hardly ever wow you, but is so impactful in every aspect of the game. So many things he does go unnoticed. His anticipation and his play away from the puck is elite in my mind. It's because of that and his ability to win 1 on 1 battles that he often finds the puck on his stick in high danger areas IMO.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly I think its been a trend with this club for over 2 years now. We very rarely blow teams out of the water. In fact we very rarely generate 40+ SOG. This group of players often passes high danger looks in an attempt to generate a tap in or "highlight reel" goal. Even when you look at Matthews goal on Saturday. Yes, It was a beautiful sequence, But I have seen similar plays like that not succeed more than the 1 time it did. The more consistently successful outcome on that play would have been Mitch taking a 1T from the hash marks on a terrible goalie. Yet the extra pass was made. It was a highlight reel goal, and showcases Mitch's talent in spades. But if the play had been run 100 times over, the higher probability outcome would have likely been the 1T in the slot. I certainly do not want to muzzle Mitch, you live and die by his creativity. That said, he may be the only guy in the lineup I am ok with doing that stuff. The rest need to have a shoot first instinct. Especially in the early goin of the season, when goalies tend to not be tracking the pucks as well.

I do feel like the Leafs have tried to activate the D a little more than the past 2 years, which has given our forwards a touch more space. But the D need to get more comfortable walking the blue and throwing a dart into traffic IMO. They still seem to want the D to keep the puck alive and just throw it back down low. Obviously not every time the D touch the puck am I expecting them to shoot, just wouldn't hurt every once and a while. Stretches the ice a bit for the skill guys
Exactly. Especially when it's Matthews passing off that opportunity. I've seen it more often than I'd like to in these early games. Matthews passing off prime scoring opportunities so that Marner or Thornton get the scoring chance instead. That's one of the last things we would need. Matthews adopting a pass first instinct makes me shiver.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

That goal was ridiculous. Beautiful sure but I was thinking the same thing - how often is that going to work?

Remember that game where two of our three (IIRC) goals were fluky bounces? They counted just as much as that Matthews goal. Create traffic in front of the net, throw the puck in there and good things often happen.

Ya I'd have to agree. I think Kerf has had more good games than bad. His line has seen the most movement all year. Started with Hyms and Soup, and now he's with Simmer and Vesey. And almost every combination in between. Think he has played hard and generated a lot of energy all year. I have actually been pretty impressed with his game TBH

and JT has been the Tim Duncan of the NHL for the last 10+ years. Will hardly ever wow you, but is so impactful in every aspect of the game. So many things he does go unnoticed. His anticipation and his play away from the puck is elite in my mind. It's because of that and his ability to win 1 on 1 battles that he often finds the puck on his stick in high danger areas IMO.

Very well put, agree 100%.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

Another problem is our D doesn't scare anybody. Without the heavy shot to make the opposition flamingo, it will not open any lanes. Our D never gets clean shots on goal, always clogged up and then we cycle periferily. We need some bombs and more shots on goal period.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Another problem is our D doesn't scare anybody. Without the heavy shot to make the opposition flamingo, it will not open any lanes. Our D never gets clean shots on goal, always clogged up and then we cycle periferily. We need some bombs and more shots on goal period.

I thought Lehtonen was supposed to have a good point shot and I believe his assist came from a point shot that had the rebound tapped in. I've liked what I've seen from him, maybe more minutes from him will help in this regard.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

On days Lehtonen does not dress I would like to see Jake Muzzin on PP2.
He has that heavy shot you are looking for.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
honestly a well placed snapper from the point in traffic is far more effective than a slapper IMO. The players and goalies in the league are so good nowadays. You have to surprise them. I remember when Cody Franson played for this team, his snap shot he would get off so quick, and it would almost always get through. He scored at relatively the same pace as Dion at the time, yet Dion was PP1 and virtually never shot anything but a 1T. Obviously Dion's shot had the ability to beat the goalie clean, but how many times did he sail that thing high and/or wide? creating no secondary opportunity. The snap through traffic has always been a more effective shot in my mind. Takes no time to get off, easier to place with accuracy, way easier to change the angle around the forward trying to block the shot, easier to tip. Its an art no doubt, but id be practicing this with everyone on our D core, with maybe the 1 exception being Bogo. That's not a dig at Bogo either, he's has been excellent in my mind, but the puck tends to explode on impact when it touches his blade

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
On days Lehtonen does not dress I would like to see Jake Muzzin on PP2.
He has that heavy shot you are looking for.
I would like to see Leht get more of a look. Let's get him comfortable. This in and out is benefitting no one. Not Leht and not Dermy. I hope they worked on a few things during this rest period because from what I have seen it's more of the same.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
honestly a well placed snapper from the point in traffic is far more effective than a slapper IMO. The players and goalies in the league are so good nowadays. You have to surprise them. I remember when Cody Franson played for this team, his snap shot he would get off so quick, and it would almost always get through. He scored at relatively the same pace as Dion at the time, yet Dion was PP1 and virtually never shot anything but a 1T. Obviously Dion's shot had the ability to beat the goalie clean, but how many times did he sail that thing high and/or wide? creating no secondary opportunity. The snap through traffic has always been a more effective shot in my mind. Takes no time to get off, easier to place with accuracy, way easier to change the angle around the forward trying to block the shot, easier to tip. Its an art no doubt, but id be practicing this with everyone on our D core, with maybe the 1 exception being Bogo. That's not a dig at Bogo either, he's has been excellent in my mind, but the puck tends to explode on impact when it touches his blade
Yes agreeing with you kn the most part. The intent of the bomb was more for the reason to clear some bodies out of the way rather than to score. Defenders are easily blocking these muffin shots and no fear in their eyes. Weber strikes fear in blockers and they are reluctant to drop down on them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You gotta have the long view on this team. What will a few blowouts early in the season do? I think it's good they have been in so many close games already. That's how it's going to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: unitedstars87

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would like to see Leht get more of a look. Let's get him comfortable. This in and out is benefitting no one. Not Leht and not Dermy. I hope they worked on a few things during this rest period because from what I have seen it's more of the same.

The difficulty is BOGO has carved out a 15 minute spot where he chews up important minutes so he isn't in the rotation to sit.
Sit Lehtonen and Dermott is out. Dermott doesn't deserve to sit for Lehtonen.

The only reason Dermott is sitting at all is to get an extended look at Lehtonen at this point.

Last edited:

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
You gotta have the long view on this team. What will a few blowouts early in the season do? I think it's good they have been in so many close games already. That's how it's going to be in the playoffs.
Ya its definitely refreshing seeing them finish out most of these 1 goal games. Even in the times that they have blown a 3rd period lead, they have responded with the go ahead marker more often than not. I expect the offense to come as well

DaWatcher

Jul 21, 2020
This team doesn't have the mental will power to complety kill off an opposing team. They are still soft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad