OT: Off Topic Thread XIV: Internet Points? Internet Points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
But anyhow... let's move on. I have no desire to get into all that again. Save it for basketball/football season (or baseball season if it's anything like last year).

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
It has nothing to do with a "superiority complex"... I've explained numerous times why I feel the way I feel. Sad thing is, my post about the Jeopardy clue was supposed to be in jest. It was obviously not in a serious tone.

Honestly, it's hard to tell with how often you do it, serious or not. A simple :sarcasm: really helps with that.

Regardless of what your reasons are for always trying to put NCSU down, past or present, it just gets old after a while. While my comment may have been misguided as a way to respond to Hank, I don't feel as though your comments are "necessary" to begin with.

What reason do you have for posting what you do other than to anger/rile up the NCSU portion of the boards? And in doing so, do you simply expect those of us to not comment back when goaded into doing so?

Sorry for being overly aggressive with my choice of words, but please stop trying to make "Moo U" jokes every chance you get. Please.

EDIT: Posted this just after your post. But those are my general feelings on the subject, so I'll leave them here. Respond to them if you wish.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
I just don't think there was anything wrong with my Jeopardy post... it's not like it was filled with my usual anger towards State. Just having some fun. I mean... Big Mike posted this on Facebook, and I thought it was hilarious. That's lighthearted stuff. It's the academic scandal obsession that makes me furious. That is the only reason I ever get the way I do. It's like I've said before... I actually liked State before the academic scandal stuff started. I have no other reason to hate them. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

On a related note, Adam Gold and Joe Ovies just had the guy from Durham that missed that clue (that's right... someone from DURHAM said "Huskies") on their show and it was hilarious.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
i mean sorry ur #academicuniversity encourages cheating and weakens the value of its #degrees while systematically #coveringitup while ignoring the fact that #jimmyv got dragged over the coals for far less

#mooumooumooumoou

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The U of Stopthisnonesicalbickeringitsaprilforgodssake is where it's at. I say this because I got just accepted there 5 minutes ago from posting this.

#boom #pow #collegelife #girls #party #yolo #lolstudyhard #thuglife

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
i mean sorry ur #academicuniversity encourages cheating and weakens the value of its #degrees while systematically #coveringitup while ignoring the fact that #jimmyv got dragged over the coals for far less

#mooumooumooumoou
I never once defended the scandal... it's all just a huge embarrassment and a total disgrace. And you know what? I'm sorry that Carolina fans apparently did this stuff during the Jimmy V thing. Seriously. It disgusts me how horrible the State fanbase is over our scandal... so if our fans did the same thing to you guys years ago, then I don't like that.

Once again, both schools are inferior to ECU, so this bickering is ridiculous
Now you're going to get Carolinas Identity started. :laugh:

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I never once defended the scandal... it's all just a huge embarrassment and a total disgrace. And you know what? I'm sorry that Carolina fans apparently did this stuff during the Jimmy V thing. Seriously. It disgusts me how horrible the State fanbase is over our scandal... so if our fans did the same thing to you guys years ago, then I don't like that.

I don't think you understand the existential and correlational implications of the two scandals. You act like State fans are being awful about the UNC scandal but it's also bad that UNC fans were awful about State's scandal. When the reality of the situation is that State fans are being so awful about the UNC scandal BECAUSE UNC fans WERE so awful about the State scandal. What goes around comes around, karma, etc. For example, I am only moderately amused by the UNC scandal. I don't antagonize my friends who are UNC fans about it, but I do take a modest amount of pleasure in the fact that the UNC athletic department is making such a mockery of myself. You won't really see the hate and vitriol about it from me because I wasn't alive during the State scandal so I can not testify to the degree of which UNC fans were allegedly awful about it, nor did it have any effect on me.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't think you understand the existential and correlational implications of the two scandals. You act like State fans are being awful about the UNC scandal but it's also bad that UNC fans were awful about State's scandal. When the reality of the situation is that State fans are being so awful about the UNC scandal BECAUSE UNC fans WERE so awful about the State scandal. What goes around comes around, karma, etc. For example, I am only moderately amused by the UNC scandal. I don't antagonize my friends who are UNC fans about it, but I do take a modest amount of pleasure in the fact that the UNC athletic department is making such a mockery of myself. You won't really see the hate and vitriol about it from me because I wasn't alive during the State scandal so I can not testify to the degree of which UNC fans were allegedly awful about it, nor did it have any effect on me.

#existential #correlational

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Not sure which side to jump in on the college war.

I'm a State fan, who works at UNC, and attended UNCG #SPARTANS!

:dunno:

But here goes,

Rabble Rabble....academics...rabble rabble....jimmyv....rabble rabble....sensless rabbling...

Last edited:

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think Carolina fans have suffered enough.

Oh, wait, no I don't. :)

BBW_unc_cover030314.jpg

BEHOLD THE CAROLINA WAY.

--hank

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I know rules get bent for athletes, but some of the stuff I've read about UNC is pretty eye opening and embarrassing if true. 60% from 2004-2012 read at a 3rd to 8th grade level and 10% read under a 3rd grade level? If that report is true, that's pretty damning.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I know rules get bent for athletes, but some of the stuff I've read about UNC is pretty eye opening and embarrassing if true. 60% from 2004-2012 read at a 3rd to 8th grade level and 10% read under a 3rd grade level? If that report is true, that's pretty damning.

There's nothing happening at Carolina that isn't happening everywhere else in Big College Athletics.

Carolina pretended to be different. Turns out they're not. Carolina fans used to think they had the moral high ground. Turns out they didn't.

And the world keeps turning.

--hank

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
In other news.

It's that time of year again. Comic Con! :D

I hate doing the same thing twice, but Master Chief w/ Horse head is just way too bad ass to not do again this year :laugh:

1926767_10152317725325709_6442635377026550502_n.jpg

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Oh I know, it just boggles my mind that a fully grown 18-22 year old could have the same, or worse, reading ability than my roommate's 7 year old

Aren't you an Alabama fan? Ever hear some of those fellows speak? Complete sentences are rare. I believe if Alabama, and most of the SEC, was picked apart, the UNC "scandal" would look like peanuts in comparison. But no one has the will to do so.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Aren't you an Alabama fan? Ever hear some of those fellows speak? Complete sentences are rare. I believe if Alabama, and most of the SEC, was picked apart, the UNC "scandal" would look like peanuts in comparison. But no one has the will to do so.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing at all. I agree with you. It happens everywhere, just some schools have yet to be caught and I hold no one blameless. And it bothers me to no end that a lot of athletes (certainly not all though) get free rides in BS classes, while us "normal" people have to work our collective butts off and toil away many sleepless nites to maintain any academic scholarship we may or may not have.

However, to be fair and where I do disagree with you, to the bolded people you're referring to, I doubt very much any of them went to the U of A, or any other SEC school.

Anyone can buy an Auburn jacket or a South Carolina football jersey or an Ole Miss t-shirt. It doesn't mean they went there.

And as bad as the assumed reputation of "The South" is, most of, if not all of it, is very hyperbolic and stereotypical. It's like saying everyone in New England is a bitter, introverted fisherman or that all Canadians preface everything they say with "Eh?".

Garnett went to South Carolina and is a lawyer (or has some law school background IIRC) and I studied Pure Math in grad school at Alabama and thousands of other students every year get decent, respectable degrees from SEC schools, so to lump everyone together isn't quite accurate, nor is it fair.

/rant :)

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Oops, you misunderstood me. I was referring to athletes at those schools, and in particular, football players.

I would never disparage the quality of a "regular person's" degree from the typical, well known colleges and universities.

My apologies if you took it that way.

SkinnersAWinner

Apr 13, 2014
Clemson, SC

I can't speak for schools as a whole but I attend Clemson University and Isaiah Battle (the o-lineman who punched the NC State guy) is in my Econ class. I've spoke to him several times and I don't think he gets any special treatment in that class. And for South Carolina a lot of my friends are in classes with Shaq Roland and he doesn't treated any different than they do when it comes to assignments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad