Salary Cap: Off Summer News Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsono93

Jun 29, 2009
New Jersey
Do you guys think Florida would be opened to trading Kulikov? If so what would we have to package to get him? Always been a fan of his I think he'd thrive here. Thanks!!!

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What if Clendening needs time in WBS? I don't think Gonch would actually play for wbs, just have his contract as friendly as possible so that he could be in a support role and fill in if need.

Clendening and Erixon have to clear waivers.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Do you guys think Florida would be opened to trading Kulikov? If so what would we have to package to get him? Always been a fan of his I think he'd thrive here. Thanks!!!

Not going to happen. To be honest, Florida doesn't really need anything that we have. They just need their young kids to take the next step.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, and we are at risk of losing one or both.

Right but that's a risk they will have to take. If I had a say, and I can't trade Scuds, I would roll with these 8 D:

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumo-Lovejoy
Scuds-Erixon

I think Erixon is closer to NHL ready than Clendening so I'd slip him through waivers during the first cuts of training camp. I'd keep up Erixon and try to move Scuds near the beginning of the year.

The other option is to keep 14 forwards and slip both Clendening and Erixon through. If both claimed and Gonch doesn't blow, sign him to cheap 1 year deal as injury insurance.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Right but that's a risk they will have to take. If I had a say, and I can't trade Scuds, I would roll with these 8 D:

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
Dumo-Lovejoy
Scuds-Erixon

I think Erixon is closer to NHL ready than Clendening so I'd slip him through waivers during the first cuts of training camp. I'd keep up Erixon and try to move Scuds near the beginning of the year.

The other option is to keep 14 forwards and slip both Clendening and Erixon through. If both claimed and Gonch doesn't blow, sign him to cheap 1 year deal as injury insurance.

Yes, very much a wait and see approach, unless adding Erixon/Clendening to Scuds can be part of a trade. Too many unknowns on D when throwing Gonch and Andersen in the mix, Poo being able to play in WBS and seeing how Tanger and Maatta play after their injuries.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes, very much a wait and see approach, unless adding Erixon/Clendening to Scuds can be part of a trade. Too many unknowns on D when throwing Gonch and Andersen in the mix, Poo being able to play in WBS and seeing how Tanger and Maatta play after their injuries.

I think Pouliot has to be on the team. They may not go that direction to start, but he should be there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yep. It's go-time for Pouliot. I'm not exactly sold on the mindset that he's ready/capable of 2nd pairing minutes and responsibility yet, but he's gonna get it because of our other options (Lovejoy, Scuderi, Dumoulin, etc).

I'm hopeful that he hits a developmental boost this season and is well on the way to reaching his potential. He's just about as important a piece as anyone on this team who isn't a part of "the core."

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
no matter the good that JR has produced, his two big big big black marks on his record are the SD trade and not getting scuds off this team. Scuds will only go at a detrimental cost to the Pens such as giving up draft picks and take backing cap. As I said it before, this scuds is untradeable, the fact is, he is still here. WHY:shakehead:shakehead

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is Zatkoff the sure to be back up this year? I feel ok with it, rooting for him.

Well it's not going to be Murray. Guerin flat out said he will be in WBS as he needs to play. And that's the right thing to do for him. If he wants to be a starting goalie in the NHL one day, the road he will take in the short term (at least next 2 seasons due to his contract) is in the AHL, where he can get a lot of starts. So considering that we haven't currently signed anyone else, and have Zatkoff signed to a 1 way contract for 600k, he's the logical choice at this point.

I'm indifferent to him. I don't think he's a good option, but he's probably "good enough" for what we need.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
That's where you hope management steps in and reminds them of the salary cap. Lovejoy is fine especially for his cap hit. Scuds, he has no place on this team anymore.

The salary cap means nothing to the coach when these players are already on his roster and his roster is under the cap. In that context there's no difference between sitting Scuderi or sitting Lovejoy.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
The salary cap means nothing to the coach when these players are already on his roster and his roster is under the cap. In that context there's no difference between sitting Scuderi or sitting Lovejoy.

Right, but it tells you something about MJ that Scuds dressed for all regular and play-off games last year.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Well the numbers don't add up so one or more is gone. I doubt it's Domoulin.

Agreed. I said this last year when JR was hired. Dumoulin - out of all our prospects is likely more so Rutherford's guy than any of them - simply because he drafted him.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Scuderi is not worried one bit.

He has a guaranteed contract that will pay him 5.5m over the next two seasons. At this point in the game he's guaranteed to get at least 4.65m of that (if he's bought out next summer) (assuming he doesn't do anything completely stupid to get the contract voided or himself suspended).

How does anyone actually think he's worried? He's a vet on a team that will be running an inexperienced blueline. I highly doubt that even with Gonchar getting a PTO that he's worried in the least.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Right, but it tells you something about MJ that Scuds dressed for all regular and play-off games last year.

How does Scuderi playing all 5 playoff games last year have any bearing on anything? We were missing Letang, Maatta, Ehrhoff and Pouliot. Clearly that means that some people we'd rather not play are going to play.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
It tells you for at least all 82 games, MJ thought scuds had talent above other Ds that could have dressed. How many times did harry sit, I believe even SD and Dumo sat in favor of scuds. And please don't bring up scuds great experience factor which is not a factor. And also Chorney and Dumo performed satisfactorily in the playoffs as the 5-6 Ds. So why bring back scuds as a 5-6-7 D. He just doesn't belong.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Maatta - Letang
Cole - Dumoulin
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Scuderi

Only thing that makes sense to me with what we have.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
MJ, as a rookie NHL coach, leaned on Scuds alot his first year imo.
It started right from training camp when you saw the pics of MJ chatting up Scuds who was riding a stationary bike.
All a part of getting vets to relay what he was trying to sell to the younger guys.

Things obviously may change though in MJ's second year.
Alot of his first year was really tip toeing around the locker room and getting a feel for things. The core probably love Scuds. If MJ came in right away and benched him, he could lose the core. That sorta deal.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
It started right from training camp when you saw the pics of MJ chatting up Scuds who was riding a stationary bike.
All a part of getting vets to relay what he was trying to sell to the younger guys.

Alot of his first year was really tip toeing around the locker room and getting a feel for things. The core probably love Scuds. If MJ came in right away and benched him, he could lose the core. That sorta deal.

Scuds is a problem that JR has to fix. Although as long as he is here I will root for him to be the best he can be in a limited role. He is as aware of the situation as much as anyone, with his name brought up in trades, etc,..

Pete Gas

Jul 10, 2012
I got a feeling Erik Cole is gonna get a PTO from JR right before camp starts

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
I would love the penguins to be able to target a player that will be a ufa next year with Perron if it looks like plotnikov, Bennett or someone else can step into that top 6 winger role. Some guys that I think could help a lot are Erik Johnson, Dustin Byfuglein, Milan Lucic or Andrew Ladd. Yes I know it would likely take more than Perron.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I brought this up earlier as well. I am hopeful that a lot of the personnel decisions in his first year were attributed to essentially "try not to piss anyone off."

Ideally, he'll hold guys much more accountable and be more comfortable to do whatever he needs to in order to put this team in the best position to succeed.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I got a feeling Erik Cole is gonna get a PTO from JR right before camp starts

I think JR adds one more forward he's familiar with at some point. Cole or Tlusty could be decent pickups at the right price. If the Jets bomb this season and Ladd isn't re-signed, I suspect we'll be asking about him as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad