Salary Cap: Off Summer News Vol 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think if Lovejoy or Scuderi were gonna be moved, JR would have moved them by now. Nobody is untradeable. It's just a matter of whether or not you're willing to trade them for essentially nothing (a 7th rounder, etc).

They're here to stay, sadly. Let's just hope we can heavily limit their ice time so they're only able to negatively affect the team every time they step on the ice a few times a game.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd wait until Franson signs. I think if he'll come here on the cheap on a one year deal, JR may step up and do what it takes to move Scuds and clear the cap room.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I dunno. Rutherford acknowledged that trading Despres for Lovejoy was a mistake, but I don't think the Pens will be so quick to dispose of him without some return on investment. How bad would it look to drop Lovejoy like a hot potato 6 months after trading a great young defenseman for him?

Ugh. The more I think about it, the more I fear both are gonna be in the line-up.

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Lovejoy
Scuderi - Gonchar

Demoted: Pouliot.

Waived: Dumoulin, Erixon, Clendening.

Suicidal thoughts: HF Pens Board.

You know... some things shouldn't be put into the universe.

It's over if they do that.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The Reverend can preach on the 3rd pair without being a liability.

Maybe, but not if Scuds is his partner. Which disaster on skates do you put in the top 4 to ruin the 2nd pairing? If neither, how on Earth do we survive a shift with Scuderi and Lovejoy on the ice together? :laugh:

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
We may have to keep 8 d for a while and/or Poo starts the year in WBS.

Or send Erixon and Clendening down early and hope that they pass?

Clendening needs playing time, and I don't think that he's ready for the NHL.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I dunno. Rutherford acknowledged that trading Despres for Lovejoy was a mistake, but I don't think the Pens will be so quick to dispose of him without some return on investment. How bad would it look to drop Lovejoy like a hot potato 6 months after trading a great young defenseman for him?

Ugh. The more I think about it, the more I fear both are gonna be in the line-up.

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Lovejoy
Scuderi - Gonchar

Demoted: Pouliot.

Waived: Dumoulin, Erixon, Clendening.

Suicidal thoughts: HF Pens Board.

Fortunately, there is precisely zero chance of that actually happening... :laugh:

Dumoulin and Pouliot are both going to be in the top 6, I'm almost certain. Gonchar should be kept over Scuderi, IMO, as a 7th/8th D, but I doubt that will happen. I will be surprised if they find a taker for Scuds; I'm guessing they don't sign Gonchar, Scuds is the #7, and the top 6 are Letang, Maatta, Cole, Pouliot, Dumo, Lovejoy. I'd rather have Gonchar as the 7, but I just don't see Scuds going anywhere. I doubt Lovejoy is going anywhere either (and not sure he should, as it's a decent contract and he should be serviceable as a bottom-pairing D).

One thing I'm wondering, though -- I wonder if it's not possible that Gonchar was signed to his PTO so as to entirely free JR to do everything he can to move Scuds -- such that if somehow he pulled it off, the team would not lose that veteran presence, elder statesman-type in the 7 slot (in other words, Gonchar is the "safety net" in the event they could find a taker for Scuds, as Sarge could be signed to a near league-minimum contract and become the "veteran presence" if Scuds is moved.) Probably just wishful thinking, I know...

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I think Gonch could be insurance for losing Someone to waivers. I could see a deal for maybe Scuds paired with Erixon or Clendening. We also have to see how well Andersen does, he is another unknown. Maybe Gonch will sign a two way deal.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Kunitz has a chance to rebound and be a great third liner. Lovejoy is a solid third pairing that is paid well, he just gets unfair treatment because all hail Simon Despres :bow:

But Scuderi, boy, he is the only real albatross contract on this team. If JR can turn two years and 3.375 million dollars worth of Scuderi into one year and 800k worth of Gonchar then this off season will be a 100% success. Screw hurt feelings, JR is running a business here, and I feel like he will get a trade done with someone. Honestly, the signs all point to Scudlicious going to the Devils. There is the Ray Shero connection, the fact that Rob likes playing close to home, and the Devils only have 6 D signed right now according to General Fanager. Maybe they could use a veteran presence to mentor all of their young D?

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think they have to be feeling the heat. Scuderi because of Gonchar's camp invite and Kunitz because Rutherford has discussed Plotnikov as a possible top 6 option (and if you count Hornqvist, Perron, & Kessel, that eliminates Kunitz).

Brian D and Lovejoy would be feeling a slight bit of heat, MAYBE. Gonchar is pretty bad now, so I doubt he makes it too long in camp.

Scuderi is not worried one bit.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Erixon and Biggs, from what i understand, were contract throw ins in the Kessel deal. ie. TO needed to get rid of a couple.

Clendening seems to be another story. JR wanted a young D with potential there.

Even if they sign Gonchar, they'll waive Erixon(if he gets picked up. big whoop), and keep Clendening on the NHL roster(they won't risk losing him imo). It's easily doable after armchair-gm checking it.

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I would guess Erixon was a pure throw in from Toronto for us to get another contract. Clendening on the other hand I'm not sure of. Of he was more than just a dump I'm not sure we will expose him to waivers. They will try to send Erixon down tho. No doubt in my mind about that.

There's also zero chance gonchar signs a 2-way deal. (He might, but he would never report to WBS). Why would he ride a bus in the AHL? He could rather just sign in the KHL or retire. I only see us signing him if scuderi (I hope); or lovejoy is moved. And if we do, it'll be one year dirt cheap

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I would guess Erixon was a pure throw in from Toronto for us to get another contract. Clendening on the other hand I'm not sure of. Of he was more than just a dump I'm not sure we will expose him to waivers. They will try to send Erixon down tho. No doubt in my mind about that.

There's also zero chance gonchar signs a 2-way deal. (He might, but he would never report to WBS). Why would he ride a bus in the AHL? He could rather just sign in the KHL or retire. I only see us signing him if scuderi (I hope); or lovejoy is moved. And if we do, it'll be one year dirt cheap

2 ways i see the Gonch situation going down.

1)sign him to around 600-700k 1-way. he doesn't necessarily block anyone and Clendening can stay up if need be(again i checked with arm-chair-GM. we still aren't in trouble, cap wise).
2)offer him a position in the organization. PP/D coach.

Only thing thats ever gonna give us cap relief is finally getting rid of the bloated contracts(Scuds and/or Kunitz).

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
What if Clendening needs time in WBS? I don't think Gonch would actually play for wbs, just have his contract as friendly as possible so that he could be in a support role and fill in if need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad