Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 14th: Who is bigger, Dickey or Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Steep price, but when you total it up:

In:

Dickey
JJ
Reyes
Beurhle
Cabrera
Thole
Nickeas
Bonifacio
Izurtis

Out:

Alvarez
Nickolino
Syndergaard
D'Arnaud
Hechavaria
Mathis
Escobar
Marisnick
Desacflani

I think we know who the winner is.

Becerra out too. He isnt a nothing prospect.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
:laugh: total overpayment, wow. Well, at least the BJs will be fun to watch RIGHT NOW

Everyone stop using this word.

Payment (over or under) is based on fair market value. The market value for Cy Young award winner coming off three impressive seasons, and on a 3 year contract worth 1/2 of his actual value is exactly what we gave.

If there were other RA Dickey types getting traded we could compare it to, then sure. But we paid market value here.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
I gotta say, I think adding 3 legit top 3 starters without basically touching the roster is an incredible accomplishment. Then add in Cabrera and Reyes, again with only Escobar removed from last years lineup. I absolutely understand that AA has gutted the top of the prospect list, but the return in terms of MLB talent is pretty incredible.

I give the guy huge props, myself. Toronto deserves a winner. Canada is ready to get behind the Jays too, I think. There is a huge appetite fan base out there for the taking, and IMO the Jays have chosen exactly the right moment to make a push.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
When you're complaining about Becerra..you're really reaching. Some on here just need to stop posting.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
After everything, I have to admit that was underwhelming.

those prospects are just filler. When I heard "non elite" I thought at least they would be respectable lol

The one we got for sure is.

The one we sent was one of our top IFA signings in 2011

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I hate to lose D'Arnaud and Syndergaard but great trade overall. We are competing now not in a few years.

As far as Nickeas, my guess is he's had some work with Dickey and is insurance incase Thole gets injured. That way we have him to catch Dickey because like others have said - JP may not be able to handle the knuckleball.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Morrow
Dickey
Johnson
Buerhle
Romero

It bears repeating.

HookeyPlayer

Jan 30, 2012
Not sure but there may still be some more trades coming.

Heard on the fan the Jays gained $1mil in salary as RAD is signed for $5mil and we lost Buck who was at $6mil.

Also if DO doesn't re-sign it will be another $3mil gained.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He's way down in the minors.

he's 17, he's obviously way down in the minors, doesn't mean he won't be anything. He's certainly got more potential than the 30 year old Canadian we got which is dissapointing because there was always the hope that we'd at least win the minor prospect swap

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Not sure but there may still be some more trades coming.

Heard on the fan the Jays gained $1mil in salary as RAD is signed for $5mil and we lost Buck who was at $6mil.

Also if DO doesn't re-sign it will be another $3mil gained.

we had to give the mets cash to offset Buck's contract, from what i've read

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
he's 17, he's obviously way down in the minors, doesn't mean he won't be anything. He's certainly got more potential than the 30 year old Canadian we got which is dissapointing because there was always the hope that we'd at least win the minor prospect swap

I'm looking forward to watching this team contend, not worrying about some 17 year old kid. I'll take my chances on him not becoming significant in his career.

Jatt

Sep 28, 2005
This thread is proof positive that Rogers/MLSE have been fantastic over the course of the new millenium of hypnotizing and profiteering it's fanbase to the tune of 'hope' rather than results. The one's complaining about this trade (as stated previously by Sokil) would have probably reacted with the same anger and panic for "the future" had we traded Snider and Purcey for Cliff Lee a couple years ago. Could TDA become the next Pudge Rodriguez? Maybe, does this trade make us a favourite to make the PLAYOFFS? Yes. TDA could also pan out to be the next Randy Knorr, baseball prospects out of all 4 major sports are the most unpredictable. Just ask others who were pegged to be Jays "stalwarts" such as Travis Snider, Russ Adams, five-tooler Alex Rios, Aaron Hill etc. etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad