GDT: Oct. 18th: Sabres @ Flames [TV: SN Flames]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames-04_zpsgxobeaxp.png

First let's take a let's take a long moment to truly appreciate the greatness and the rich Championship tradition of the great city of Buffalo.

ROSTERS
CalgaryFlames_zpsb5d9f822.jpg

based on Saturday's lines

gaudreau-150.jpg
|
monahan-150.jpg
|
versteeg-150.jpg
tkachuk-150.jpg
|
bennett-150.jpg
|
brouwer-150.jpg
bouma-150.jpg
|
backlund-150.jpg
|
frolik-150.jpg
ferland-150.jpg
|
stajan-150.jpg
|
chiasson-150.jpg

giordano-150.jpg
|
brodie-150.jpg
jokipakka-150.jpg
|
d.hamilton-150.jpg
wideman-150.jpg
|
engelland-150.jpg

johnson-150.jpg
|
elliott-150.jpg

BuffaloSabres_zps0cc84f91.jpg

from daily faceoff

Sam Reinhart - Ryan O'Reilly - Kyle Okposo
Matt Moulson - Zemgus Girgensons - Hudson Fasching
Tyler Ennis - Derek Grant - Nicolas Deslauriers
Marcus Foligno - Johan Larsson - Brian Gionta

Josh Gorges - Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake McCabe - Zach Bogosian
Dmitry Kulikov - Cody Franson

Robin Lehner - Anders Nilsson

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
A bit extreme but I would like to see the top six F shuffled a bit:

Gaudreau-Bennett-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Monahan-Chiasson
Versteeg-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Stajan-Bouma

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gaudreau & Monahan will be fine, breaking them up after 3 games when they combined for 1 preseason game doesn't make a ton of sense considering how they have played the last 2 years.

I would try:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chiasson
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Frolik - Backlund - Versteeg
Bouma - Stajan - Hamilton/Ferland

I have not ben impressed with Ferland through 3 games, maybe a night upstairs will help him out.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Gaudreau & Monahan will be fine, breaking them up after 3 games when they combined for 1 preseason game doesn't make a ton of sense considering how they have played the last 2 years.

I would try:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Chiasson
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer
Bouma - Stajan - Hamilton/Ferland

I have not ben impressed with Ferland through 3 games, maybe a night upstairs will help him out.

Really outside of the series against Van, Ferland has been very hot/cold. Some nights, it looks like he understands his role and other nights he thinks he's Johnny Hockey (and sucks at it).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One final add about Tkachuk, Derick Wills commented on it before the season started. His take was, Treliving flat out said Tkachuk made the team out of camp. There wasn't really any talk of him getting a 9 game audition. I think he showed that he was one of the best forwards the Flames had in camp and by all accounts he made the team.

Now that isn't to say the Flames don't have options. They can send him down after 9 games. Or they can do what the Oilers did with Leon and send him down before 40 games in order to save burning an extra year before he can become a UFA. So if his play falls off, they have some options. But as of now, Wills stated that by all accounts he's on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Really outside of the series against Van, Ferland has been very hot/cold. Some nights, it looks like he understands his role and other nights he thinks he's Johnny Hockey (and sucks at it).
I'm not sure what his issue is, I've said it before but he is most effectively offensively when he uses his body but he never does it consistently. I'm not suggesting he needs to do what he did against Vancouver in the playoffs, but he needs to consistently move his feet and dish out a couple solid (not bone crushing, just solid) hits per game and average 2.5+ hits per game. There is no reason he can't play a game with similar physical levels to Lucic, Backes, Brown, Rinaldo, Wingles, Neil... etc.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
One final add about Tkachuk, Derick Wills commented on it before the season started. His take was, Treliving flat out said Tkachuk made the team out of camp. There wasn't really any talk of him getting a 9 game audition. I think he showed that he was one of the best forwards the Flames had in camp and by all accounts he made the team.

Now that isn't to say the Flames don't have options. They can send him down after 9 games. Or they can do what the Oilers did with Leon and send him down before 40 games in order to save burning an extra year before he can become a UFA. So if his play falls off, they have some options. But as of now, Wills stated that by all accounts he's on the team.
It cannot be ignored that he made the team based on the preseason against lesser rosters. Now that everyone he is facing is an NHL talent he's not looking nearly as good and that IMO is more important than the preseason games. I think it is in his best interest (and ours) to send him back to London and let him dominate the league for a full year as a leader of his team and work on straddling that line between aggressive and reckless.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I want to see Ferland sit this one out. He needs to accept the role that he's suited for. I'd also like to try separating Gaudreau and Monahan for a game. Calgary has plenty of options for forward lines now.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Brouwer
Tkachuk - Monahan - Chiasson
Bouma - Stajan - Hamilton

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Splitting up Gaudreau/Monahan is premature. They've produced together for the past 2 years, they'll get it figured out.

I'd probably go back to the same lineup as last game, but I'd put Freddie in and take out Ferland. Also, I'd go back to Elliott.

With a couple days until our next game, we have time to get Versteeg acclimated to Gaudreau/Monahan. Chiasson has played well so far, I wouldn't hate seeing him given a shot at 1RW, but Gaudreau/Monahan/Versteeg should be given an opportunity to develop something, I think it's tough to become familiar with new linemates immediately.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It cannot be ignored that he made the team based on the preseason against lesser rosters. Now that everyone he is facing is an NHL talent he's not looking nearly as good and that IMO is more important than the preseason games. I think it is in his best interest (and ours) to send him back to London and let him dominate the league for a full year as a leader of his team and work on straddling that line between aggressive and reckless.

I think in an ideal world he should go back as well. But I don't think he will personally unless he really starts to look bad. He's not an average rookie, he's physically mature but he's also probably more mentally prepared to play in the NHL than anyone else in last years draft because of how he was raised. We'll see what happens, I won't be upset if he goes down, but I'll be surprised. I think the production is going to come and soon.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
OP is updated :naughty:
Flames-04_zpsgxobeaxp.png

First let's take a let's take a long moment to truly appreciate the greatness and the rich Championship tradition of the great city of Buffalo.

ROSTERS
CalgaryFlames_zpsb5d9f822.jpg

based on Saturday's lines

gaudreau-150.jpg
|
monahan-150.jpg
|
versteeg-150.jpg
tkachuk-150.jpg
|
bennett-150.jpg
|
brouwer-150.jpg
bouma-150.jpg
|
backlund-150.jpg
|
frolik-150.jpg
ferland-150.jpg
|
stajan-150.jpg
|
chiasson-150.jpg

giordano-150.jpg
|
brodie-150.jpg
jokipakka-150.jpg
|
d.hamilton-150.jpg
kulak-150.jpg
|
engelland-150.jpg

johnson-150.jpg
|
elliott-150.jpg

BuffaloSabres_zps0cc84f91.jpg

coming....
ezgif-80156820_zpsis8bkmnq.gif

We've got a couple days before the next game. Might as well discuss possible lineup changes... etc here in the meantime.

Last edited:

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
OP is updated :naughty:

Haha I love it. Buffalo has a great history :laugh:

On the topic of Tkachuk, I feel like he should be sent down, unless he wows us in the next few games. I like Burke's philosophy, and if he continues getting 12ish minutes, then I think he'd be better off getting some top line minutes in London. No reason to rush him

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
If he's not getting good minutes, I agree.

His contract being able to slide makes it a logical thing to do. I think another year of junior is perfect for developing his game. He shows flashes on offence but i don't think he's quite where he should to warrant staying.

The Rainman

May 7, 2007
Vancouver
Code:
We need a win badly, that much is for sure.

My hope for this game is that we see Gaudreau, Gio and Brodie play up to their abilities, which I don't think we have seen yet.[/QUOTE

The Flames just need something good to happen and it will. Plus Johnny needs to stop whining and *****ing and get back to doing what he does best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad