O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Wow some people were saying we loved the trade cause Bournival was from Quebec, we were called hypocriticals...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Wow some people were saying we loved the trade cause Bournival was from Quebec, we were called hypocriticals...

Probably because that's a BS reason to like or dislike a trade, whichever the outcome may be down the road.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He was suspended by team for drinking until dawn on a playoff game day! I don't know how much more "kicked off" you can be than that???

You're having trouble with suspended vs bought out? Lord help you with anything more complex, then. You could have at least pointed out that being traded is equivalent to being "kicked out" and had a point.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

I don't think anyone could have predicted a year ago just how much his skating would improve, and that has made by far the biggest difference in his game. At the time of the trade (November of 2010) you would have known his draft position but next to nothing about what it is that's helping him succeed right now other than having been captain of Shawinigan for about a month or so at that point. Even by the end of that season there were questions about whether he had already started to plateau because of his junior numbers.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
No.......He doesn't have the puck skills to be as good as Plekanec.

I have always considered his upper limit to be Mike Fisher.

Good call. Could generate points the same way, but will also be more valuable than just his points, like Fisher (or Plekanec, but you're right about the puck/stick skills).

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I haven't really got to see him play live yet (I've been working whenever he's been in the lineup). Hypothetically, if he made the squad, where would he rank in terms of skating?

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Nice trade. Getting Bournival in return puts more depth into our prospect pool. That guy is physically strong already and is a good 2-way player. Could see him playing bottom 6 but has potential to play offensive role too. He's now around 6 feet, 187 lbs. Was 5'11, 179 lbs when drafted this past summer.

Glad I was already on the Bournival Bandwagon back in 2010 :yo:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I don't think anyone could have predicted a year ago just how much his skating would improve, and that has made by far the biggest difference in his game. At the time of the trade (November of 2010) you would have known his draft position but next to nothing about what it is that's helping him succeed right now other than having been captain of Shawinigan for about a month or so at that point. Even by the end of that season there were questions about whether he had already started to plateau because of his junior numbers.

Sure but i already knew him for being a gym rat, and anyways trading O'Byrne and prefering Bournival was totaly legitimate, O'Byrne was done in the head of a lot of people.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Looking not so bad is probably a better statement at this point.

Trading a 2nd round pick + 1st to move up a few spots in the late 1st round is perhaps better left unmentioned if we're looking at positives... Drafting is all Timmins + his staff.

Noone ever confirmed it, but I'm pretty confident Timmins is the one who asked Gauthier to move up to grab Tinordi.

Bergevin has said it already that Timmins will tell him when a player is worth to trade up.

He was fast enough to play in the NHL when he turned pro last season. He has always been a swift skater. He certainly improved over the time, but it's been a strenght in his game since I have been following him.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Anybody else see some Plekanec type potential in Bournival ?

I do. I thought that last year but didn't think he had the offense. It's hard to project Bournival's potential right now but a Plek lite would be amazing but not so far fetched. Possibly more.

People need to remember that no one expected much from Plekanec when he was with the Dogs. Solid 3rd liner who could maybe add 15 goals.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
The way people are going on it's like Bournival has somehow proven to be a capable NHLer. The jury is still out, a few pre-season games isn't going to change anything.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He was fast enough to play in the NHL when he turned pro last season. He has always been a swift skater. He certainly improved over the time, but it's been a strenght in his game since I have been following him.

There's being fast in open ice, and there's being fast in regular play, and he seems to have developed first steps that are giving him separation and finding space at the NHL level. On top of the fact that he seems to have bulked up nicely, he's also getting around the ice smartly, reading the play well, and being aggressive when he sees openings, which also makes a difference.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Anybody else see some Plekanec type potential in Bournival ?

There's resemblance, but I think Plekanec is a prime time offensive player, keep in mind he's generating 50ish points playing against top opposition with mediocre top 6 players. I don't think Bournival can get there. Dupuis would be a better comparable.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I didn't really follow hockey closely enough when Plekanec played for the Bulldogs and first got called up to the NHL, so I was wondering if people, who can remember Plekanec as the player he was then, could comment on the similarities/differences. Did Plekanec already have that finesse and confidence with his puck handling ? I can see that they are both defensively aware and can create scoring chances with speed and good positioning thanks to good hockey sense. Also, from what I can interpret from the statistic, Plekanec seemed to join the Bulldogs when they were a very strong team and managed to produce very well as a 20 y.o. and then lead the team in scoring the next year on yet another strong bulldog squad. By contrast, Bournival seemed to play well on a weak Bulldog squad last year and will be given a prominent role on the team this year if he gets sent down. Basically, I'm wondering if he might not develop in a similar way to Plekanec and surprisingly become a viable top-6 option with excellent defensive abilities.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I didn't really follow hockey closely enough when Plekanec played for the Bulldogs and first got called up to the NHL, so I was wondering if people, who can remember Plekanec as the player he was then, could comment on the similarities/differences. Did Plekanec already have that finesse and confidence with his puck handling ? I can see that they are both defensively aware and can create scoring chances with speed and good positioning thanks to good hockey sense. Also, from what I can interpret from the statistic, Plekanec seemed to join the Bulldogs when they were a very strong team and managed to produce very well as a 20 y.o. and then lead the team in scoring the next year on yet another strong bulldog squad. By contrast, Bournival seemed to play well on a weak Bulldog squad last year and will be given a prominent role on the team this year if he gets sent down. Basically, I'm wondering if he might not develop in a similar way to Plekanec and surprisingly become a viable top-6 option with excellent defensive abilities.

I don't remember his 2 games stint in the NHL but I remember him from the AHL and NHL debut... He was pretty much what you see now. The way he saw the ice is what got me going at first... For now, I can say he looked like Leblanc looked in the Q, if you watched him.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Can we change the title? Or start another thread for Bournival?

Each time this one is bumped, I just see 'traded' and 'Bournival' and my brain has just enough time to activate his 'WTF' region before my old memory kicks in and says 'calm down, buddy, it's an old thread'.

:laugh:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Can we change the title? Or start another thread for Bournival?

Each time this one is bumped, I just see 'traded' and 'Bournival' and my brain has just enough time to activate his 'WTF' region before my old memory kicks in and says 'calm down, buddy, it's an old thread'.

:laugh:

Change to "Ryan O'Byrne trade for Michael Bournival revisited" or something, yeah.

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
always fun to revisit an old trade and check comments. Can't wait to see some of the threads we have now by the end of the season.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Seeing that OB will play in Europe (and try to steal purses over there...) and that we have a young'un ready for a career in the NHL well i'd say it was a good deal! :handclap:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
lol! i only read the first THREE pages and i could NOT beleive some people are "upset" with this trade, LOL the guy was NEVER going to play for us again

had such a TERRIBLE training camp, hes ALREADY 25 years old, and people keep saying "man this is gonna hurt us in 2-3 years" , WHAT?? the guy might not even BE in the NHL at ALL in the next 3 years!! i caaaant beleive how anyone could be upset with this trade, yeah its losing a D on the depth chart, but um.. id rather play weber or carle or even Brendon nash (watch out for this kid) before id want to see obyrne again

Obyrnes CEILING is to become a Mike Komisarek, and look at mike now.

I wont even mention how we got a pretty DECENT prospect who might make team canada this year, someone said (we traded a d for something we have plenty of), ridiculous. you can NEVER have too many decent prospects, thats why you have a farm system, christ thats why you have a draft!

Great Trade. I cant beleive obyrne got us a prospect and not a draft choice, i remember TWO weeks ago thinking (i wonder what draft choice obyrne gets us, 5th ... 6th??) so im pleasantly surprised.

Edit : cant imagine waking up one day , a kid from quebec who hears he's been traded to montreal, the habs probably just made this kids year

Lol im sorry but thats just creepy on my part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad