O'Byrne/Bournival trade revisited

terreur

Jan 27, 2006
Montreal
I don't know a lot on bournival, but I don't like getting rid of O'byrne... we will miss him in a 2-3 years i'm sure he'll become a very good defensive D.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Bad move imo , always liked O'Byrne and believed he'll become a good 4th 5th defenseman in 2 or 3 years.Big defenseman with good skating abilities you don't trade for crap.Too bad.

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
As much as we can all be sad to lose the player we WANTED O'B to be... he wasn't becoming that player here.

He wasn't going to get the ice time needed to become that guy, and he hasn't shown much progress over the last few seasons.

This year, Picard passed him on the team's depth charts. And this frees up a roster spot that clearly management was looking for by waiving Boyd. This was plan B I suppose.

Now bring on M.A. Bergeron :sarcasm:. Or Bill Guerin. :sarcasm:

Or, when needed, call up, say, a Palushaj from Hamilton to try to bring some more offense.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I heard that Timmins was really intrigued in Bournival for the Draft... So, he got his man!

Can we think about Bournival like a Louis Leblanc with less offensive instinct?

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
Ohhh..

Bournival was considered as a 2nd round pick I think. He's a speedy, energic, two-way player.

I think he's in the class of Kristo. I really love the player, but losing O'Byrne could be bad for us in a few years.

At least, we have guys like Tinordi, Pateryn that can play the same game.

Habs 1909

Nov 29, 2008
Montreal/Ottawa
Always liked O'Byrne and what he brought to the table. Big, physical defenceman who always suffered setbacks once it finally seemed that he hit his stride. I always hoped that he would play a similar role as Komisarek once he left. Unfortunately, he was down the depth chart once Picard came in.

Best of luck to him in Colorado.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
How much money we save with this trade?
Assuming we don't call anyone up; approximately $800K.

I like the trade. O'Byrne wasn't going to get the playing time to develop in Montreal, considering he was (at best) #8 on the depth chart. Montreal management may hold Weber in a higher light than O'Byrne as well (and rightfully so).

It sucks to lose O'Byrne because the player we thought he could become made a lot of us drool. He was big, strong, could be physical, and had good wheels. It's too bad he really didn't develop here. He'll be decent for Colorado. Best luck to him.

I like that we got a solid two-way player (on pace for 82 points in the Q over 58 games), who may even make the WJC team. He compares quite nicely to Danny Kristo, with slightly better size.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
im happy, really wanted Bournival in last year draft. great two-way forward, top notch work ethic on and off the ice (someone will post that picture of him training lol), likely will be at team canada december camp (hockey canada head scout is a big fan of him). he's captain of his shawinigan team

OByrne had no future with the habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad