Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
The dependence on the defensive aspect of play revealed itself last night. As we reach the 1/4 mark of the season, this team is one that depends on keeping the opposition to two or fewer for a chance to win any night. It simply hasn't allowed three and won in regulation or OT. Having the top 5on5 goals for/against ratio is easily tarnished by the 28th ranked PK and 23rd ranked PP. Most games are nailbiters resulting in one goal differences. When our defensive play is good enough to keep the opposition to two or less, things fall our way and the team gets points in the standings. Give up that third, and it's stick a fork in us time.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i think we failed to win the game in the first, and we easily could have i felt by taking advantage of our chances to go up 2-0. wilson himself could have 'won' the game in first 15 minutes four times by finding a way to get the puck in the back of the net on 4 glorious chances. jarnkrok's post would have 'won' this game. alas, it was not to be.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Now that we've gotten past that major roadie, 6 of the next 7 are home (with the lone away game a short trip to Raleigh), including the next 4. I really hope we take full advantage of some home cookin'.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
it's a 3 to 2 league and has been for many years. give up 3 you lose most every time, give up 2 and you win most nights.

I was going to say the same thing. There are not many teams winning a lot of games when you give up 3. Luckily, the Preds are built to prevent teams from scoring 3 on most nights.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
i think we failed to win the game in the first, and we easily could have i felt by taking advantage of our chances to go up 2-0. wilson himself could have 'won' the game in first 15 minutes four times by finding a way to get the puck in the back of the net on 4 glorious chances. jarnkrok's post would have 'won' this game. alas, it was not to be.
At almost any level of hockey, if you hit more than 2 post in a game, you lose the game.

There are exceptions but in general it holds true.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
The dependence on the defensive aspect of play revealed itself last night. As we reach the 1/4 mark of the season, this team is one that depends on keeping the opposition to two or fewer for a chance to win any night. It simply hasn't allowed three and won in regulation or OT. Having the top 5on5 goals for/against ratio is easily tarnished by the 28th ranked PK and 23rd ranked PP. Most games are nailbiters resulting in one goal differences. When our defensive play is good enough to keep the opposition to two or less, things fall our way and the team gets points in the standings. Give up that third, and it's stick a fork in us time.

We had 35 shots last night, shots go in at a 10% rate, using statistics we should of at least tied that game last night. We also have one of the best Defenses in the league why wouldn't we ride their coattails?

Are special teams important? Sure. However, they don't change the fact that this team is 12-5-2 even if they were to lose 5 straight, they would still be 12-10-2. That's still .500 on the year which is where I expected them to end up at the beginning of the year.

However, they don't look to be heading in that direction. One loss in a game we should of gotten a point in, isn't going to change much. The team will have trouble's the powerplay has been improving. The defense has been stepping up, and Pekka has been stepping up. It's going to be just fine.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Am I the only one who thinks that 102.5's pre and post game shows with Darren McFarland is quite possibly the most dull, boring, lousy, uninspired peace of radio to ever exist?Seriously how is he getting paid for this? It's awful. He sounds like he just woke up, has no emotion, sounds like he couldn't care less at all and it's seriously brutal. I was a Broadcasting major for two years and it's worse than most college radio DJs/hosts. By far. I'm seriously baffled that a professional sports team has a flagship station that accepts that type of coverage and pays someone for it.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Am I the only one who thinks that 102.5's pre and post game shows with Darren McFarland is quite possibly the most dull, boring, lousy, uninspired peace of radio to ever exist?Seriously how is he getting paid for this? It's awful. He sounds like he just woke up, has no emotion, sounds like he couldn't care less at all and it's seriously brutal. I was a Broadcasting major for two years and it's worse than most college radio DJs/hosts. By far. I'm seriously baffled that a professional sports team has a flagship station that accepts that type of coverage and pays someone for it.

Nope, I think he blows donkey, but that's reason 1 I don't listen to the audio production of the game, if they actually had someone in there that gave a **** it'd be better, wait they did when Tom Callahan did the radio broadcast, Willy was the host.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree. What ever happened with Callahan anyway?

He just randomly stepped down during last season. I don't know if it was a personal matter or not but it was his decision. I remember we had the Admirals radio guy for a couple games after.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I agree. What ever happened with Callahan anyway?

Do you mean now or what happened that made him leave play by play in the first place? I have no idea what happened with the Preds but he has an afternoon radio show on the sister station to 102.5. He's still in the Nashville area.

Edit: The Admirals guy is Aaron Sims I believe--he was really good.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
personal issues..

but to say those guys don't give a damn is foolish They may not be the best at what they do, but they don't half-ass it.

I'm not saying "these guys", I'm single-handedly pointing out the fact that Darren literally couldn't sound more dull and bored if he tried. He sounds like he's reporting on a tragedy every time he's talking. He sounds sad, depressed, apathetic, etc. I'm sure he's a great guy and I've heard him on other shows and stations through the years and he's not that bad, but are the higher-ups with that station not pulling him aside at some point and being like "Hey buddy. Yeah, your delivery is a little uh.....lifeless."?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
personal issues..

but to say those guys don't give a damn is foolish They may not be the best at what they do, but they don't half-ass it.

I can honestly say McFarland doesn't give a damn, and yes, he half-***** it. It's clear that he does this job because there's no one else. He's not a great radio personality to begin with, but to compare his enthusiasm between pregame and when he's on his show talking about something he cares and is knowledgeable about, there's a palpable difference.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
lol, i never listen to any of them, except on the ride home after a game. in general, our broadcasting is sort of bush league period.

on a game note, i was encouraged by wilson's jump in the first, thought it was his best skating game overall this year.... on the other hand his not scoring a point despite the chances he created and also generated for linemates, well was pretty deflating. you just knew those first period failings to capitalize were going to bite us.. and they did

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Well either way, it's a shame. I think Callahan is the best radio presence we've ever had.

He had a good delivery and also seemed like a good guy out in the concourse during intermissions. I liked Eli Gold, but over all I liked Tom a little better.

I'd love for the organIzation to poach Aaron Sims. Maybe it was only hearing him for 2 games, but I thought he described the play on ice smoothly and in a highly descriptive way.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN

No you are not. I agree with everything you said. There is a lot that I can't stand about his delivery and show. Also he seems to have a very large ego.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Aaron is a professional who has called hockey (and other pro sports) for years. He's also a Wisconsinite. I'm not sure he wants to give up the gig he has - THE play-by-play voice of the Milwaukee Admirals - just to take a job with the Predators.

As we know from the way the radio side has floated up and down in recent years, being the Preds' radio voice wouldn't be the same kind of gig as it is for him in Milwaukee. And not everyone wants to be "promoted" to the big club all the time.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Aaron is a professional who has called hockey (and other pro sports) for years. He's also a Wisconsinite. I'm not sure he wants to give up the gig he has - THE play-by-play voice of the Milwaukee Admirals - just to take a job with the Predators.

As we know from the way the radio side has floated up and down in recent years, being the Preds' radio voice wouldn't be the same kind of gig as it is for him in Milwaukee. And not everyone wants to be "promoted" to the big club all the time.

Aaron Sims is from Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad