Observations XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Ingram was on one of the worst teams in the KHL. I saw video of some of the goals in that game. There was no defense at all. If Ingram stopped a shot and there was a rebound, nobody from his team went after the puck! If somebody was trying to fix that game, I would look at the defensemen on that team. Unfortunately, people from a certain nation are notorious for taking a dive in sports. It has happened a bunch of times in pro tennis.

Pete Rose is a different story. He met his first wife at a horse track. He was a regular at Latonia. He was a known gambler and he knew the penalty for gambling on baseball and did it anyway.
You know what I agree with most all of this points shaving and throwing games and fights has been around for a long time and touches every sport. And as I said before just the suggestion of impropriety stains. From stealing signs to underinflated footballs to down right throwing a match. For financial gain many this have been done thru the years some selectively ignored like Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa to all the Patriots shennagins it is according to how big the player is to what impact it has on them.

I am a little biased when it comes to Rose having been a Big Red Machine fan for all of my youth. It seems keeping him out of the Hall is a little drastic for gambling indiscretions he had after his playing career. He will die one of the best to have ever played the game and he will be put into the Hall afterwards. The passion and heart he played with would be a welcome addition to the current Preds team thats a fact.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
With the long term injury to Ellis, I think it's time to begin the reboot for next year. As much as people complain about Ellis, Fabbro is not ready to take over his spot at 1RHD. Fabbro still needs another year or two to grow. Unless Rinne/Saros is going to miracle us to the playoffs it isn't going to happen. We can't seem to beat the teams ahead of us and they're the teams that we really need to beat to catch up.

I want to see Pitlick, Trenin, Carrier, Davies, Tomasino start getting some NHL time. They are the future of the team... not Cousins, Haula, Boro, Benning. Grimaldi, Jarnkrok, etc. I know there's going to be alot of growing pains there playing a team with alot of current AHL talent but if we don't focus on the future of this team we aren't going to get anywhere in the future either. The current group is not getting it done.
By the way, Fabbro finished the game back with Ekholm. Carrier went from the press box to #1 RD by the end of the game.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Time for Poile to hang out the yard sale sign and see what we can get . . .

Yeah, but not from a "blow it up" standpoint. Everyone new and on a 1 year deal should be shopped for picks. Not sure if anyone wants any of these folks except maybe Haula.

But its definitely a perfect opportunity to give Carrier, Allard, Pitlick and hopefully Trenin fair chances to see if they can cut it here. And just a damn shame that Ingram isnt available.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Terrible stat when giving up 3 or more goals this year the Preds have just 1 win the 6-5 OT win against the Panthers. When they give up 3 goals the win percentage is .143 the lone team worse is the Ducks. Also 6 of the 12 losses have been by 3 or more which is the 4th worst in the league and 2nd worst in the division with Detroit being the worst.
The question is how can this trend be reversed. A coaching change can be a little of it for sure that could account for perhaps an additional .3 GPG scored. As bad as Hynes is it can not account for the disappearance of goal scoring for anyone not named Forsberg. The goaltending is a huge issue but short of waiving Saro's and signing someone like Lehner im not sure what can be done. Pekka has been the best in net but still suffers from having a couple good games then laying eggs for a few like most aging goalies. Playing young guys while good for the soul has had little impact other than getting them some experience. And if that is the goal it indicates a full rebuild. The defense now is middle of the pack defensively and there scoring has bottomed 10 goals from the D and Ekholm leading the defensmen with 3 goals????? Ouch.....

An improvement in just one area would be a positive at some point things have to turn the other direction. At least become entertaining because competitive seems out of reach. The last few years they could garner a few loser points this year at near the halfway make they have 0 loser points. I have never liked loser points because it skews team on a downward track. Over the last few years they have had 8-6-11-12-14 loser points respectively. It has been an indicator of the competitive window closing. It also indicates entertainment value in a way because the team has been competitive in regulation. The last three season have not been a very enjoyable to a fan who watches a lot of games. Yesterday I watched 5 games the Preds game and the Sabers games were flat disappointing. Stagnent scoring poor goaltending wash rinse repeat. Sure both teams have some fast skaters but thats no longer a crutch both teams are soft do not stand up for each other and are basicially two groups of players that do not mesh.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Worst thing that could happen this year is that we continue to suck for another month or so and then Saros gets his hot streak of the year and pulls us close to the playoff race only to miss by a few points and lose a potential top-5 pick.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Worst thing that could happen this year is that we continue to suck for another month or so and then Saros gets his hot streak of the year and pulls us close to the playoff race only to miss by a few points and lose a potential top-5 pick.

Ellis out 4-6 weeks:

Our opponents next 4 weeks:
Florida x 4
Stars x2
canes x2
tampa x2
wings x2
hawks x2

The 2 weeks after that
Florida x 1
dallas x 3
tampa x 2
wings x 2

Wings have historically given us fits regardless of how good/bad we are. Everyone else is ahead of us in the standings by pts% with Dallas being pretty on par with us but they killed us early in the year. We could have such a deficit at the end of this 4-6 weeks that no hot run will get us close

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Yeah, let’s be clear. This team is DOA. What I like about this team: they don’t give up. Everything else is pretty sad.

That is why they aren't DOA. They are likely to die on the table. Their chances of survival to the post season are lower than that of my current beer lasting another hour. But there they show up with a pulse. In spite of all of the glaring flaws, this team puts up a fight ... they refuse to just die as some here would prefer.

The games up to now are only a flesh wound.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
That is why they aren't DOA. They are likely to die on the table. Their chances of survival to the post season are lower than that of my current beer lasting another hour. But there they show up with a pulse. In spite of all of the glaring flaws, this team puts up a fight ... they refuse to just die as some here would prefer.

The games up to now are only a flesh wound.

You’re a looney! :D

Reactions: bdub24 and PredsV82

predhead1

Aug 7, 2003
Arvy has not gotten a goal in 14 games and has 1 point in the last 11.

But he can't shoot below 3% forever, so hopefully regression will kick in at some point.
If this were a movie, we're at the point in the script where the trainer notices Arvy squinting to read something in the locker room, puts some super-nerdy looking glasses on him, and Arvy starts scoring 2-3 goals per game.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
You know what I agree with most all of this points shaving and throwing games and fights has been around for a long time and touches every sport. And as I said before just the suggestion of impropriety stains. From stealing signs to underinflated footballs to down right throwing a match. For financial gain many this have been done thru the years some selectively ignored like Mark McGuire, Sammy Sosa to all the Patriots shennagins it is according to how big the player is to what impact it has on them.

I am a little biased when it comes to Rose having been a Big Red Machine fan for all of my youth. It seems keeping him out of the Hall is a little drastic for gambling indiscretions he had after his playing career. He will die one of the best to have ever played the game and he will be put into the Hall afterwards. The passion and heart he played with would be a welcome addition to the current Preds team thats a fact.

I too have been a Reds fan for a long time. Gordy Coleman came to my elementary school. I believe that it was the spring of 1968. I was supposed to meet Rose at a book signing of his first autobiography. The "Super Sub", Jimmy Stewart, showed up instead. That must have been around 1970. Stewart was one of the players involved in the big trade with Houston after Thanksgiving in 1971. It was Stewart, Tommy Helms and Lee May for Joe Morgan, Dennis Menke, Ed Armbrister, Cesar Geronimo and Jack Billingham. They went to three more World Series with those guys!

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Watching Jared Tinordi log some minutes for the Bruins.

Sure is a good thing we haven't had any defensemen get injured. :rolleyes:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Carrier, Allard, Davies. Bruins can keep 'the Bruiser," I'd rather someone that may be a core contributor going forward get a shot since it's basically a dead season.

Exactly. Tinordi was a much needed improvement over Irwin and Weber last year, but we can't let our young guys become overripe.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Carrier, Allard, Davies. Bruins can keep 'the Bruiser," I'd rather someone that may be a core contributor going forward get a shot since it's basically a dead season.
Oh, I'd rather play those guys too. In fact, I thought Carrier looked quite good out there for a guy they seem determined to never give a chance.

My comment is much more about the headscratching roster moves. Another one? What the fig leaf is the deal with Trenin? They're rolling up and down the Malone, McCarron, and Jeannot while Trenin's skates rust away.

No one is claiming Tinordi was a world beater, but if our defensemen keep dropping like flies, then it might have been good to keep him in the press box just in case.

Exactly. Tinordi was a much needed improvement over Irwin and Weber last year, but we can't let our young guys become overripe.
Last year's problems were compounded. (1) Subban was dumped and Fabbro went to #2 RD. (2) Ellis had an extended injury (concussion), making Fabbro #1 RD. (3) Irwin started at #3 RD, and he was struggling very badly. (4) Hamhuis was taking early retirement as the #3 LD. (5) Depth was Yannick Weber, who was taking some load off Irwin early on and then was thrust in the top 4 with Ellis out. Given all those dominos falling, Tinordi was called up so Irwin could be kept off the ice as the defense went into a tailspin. The right side became a mix-and-match puzzle of Weber, Ekholm (out of position), and Fabbro, while Josi, Tinordi, and Hamhuis tried to get the left side through games. When Ellis did finally make it back, it was time to keep the original third pairing in mothballs.

Last edited:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Tinordi also lost his man and let oshie tap a goal home. he got bailed out by the play being challenged and being called offside by a literal hair. tinordi is big and has reach. that’s it. i watched the game in its entirety. we’re not missing anything. i like what i seen from carrier with the puck on his stick. the problem is we have too many like minded defenseman that are prone to lose puck battles. Josi and Ellis as your top pair contribute to that.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It's pretty amazing that in a year where our $16 mil centers have 3 goals combined and the guy who scored our franchise goal scoring record a couple years back has 2 goals we're arguing about Jarred f'n Tinordi.

This place sometimes, man.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
It's pretty amazing that in a year where our $16 mil centers have 3 goals combined and the guy who scored our franchise goal scoring record a couple years back has 2 goals we're arguing about Jarred f'n Tinordi.

This place sometimes, man.
we can talk about Duchene, johansen, and arvidsson being trash until the cows come home. it gets boring at this point. they are what they are. at least with tinordi, there’s a little bit of unknown or what if. the former 3 are just guys that got a contract and got comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad