Observations XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I'm not meaning to pick on you, you're just typically the "optimistic voice of reason\it's not all that bad" guy around here ;)

The series is 2-2...you're right about that. It's a best 2 out of three at this point. However, I think maybe where we disagree is where the advantage lies. I think that at this point, Anaheim has a lot of momentum, they have home-ice advantage again, they appear to have figured out what strategic adjustments need to be made. I think that if there's any hope of salvation, it's winning the next game. If we lose and are faced with winning two in a row -- I think our chances are very low.

You say that Anaheim has figured everything out and has made the necessary adjustments- based on what??? We have just played 7 periods of hockey in Nashville- in only 1 of those 7 periods did they clearly outplay us. It's not nearly as tilted in their favor as you make it out to be.

Look, we are so banged up we very well may lose in 6 games- who the heck knows?

But there is no logical reason to be overly negative or "doom and gloom" about this series.

And for the record that is not a "blindly optimistic" take- just a realistic one. I'm not really optimistic that we are going to win but we absolutely can do it- as I said earlier to me it's a 50/50 series at this point.

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
We were damn lucky to even make it to OT last night. We either show up playing like our hair is on fire or we skate like *******. That's not how a team expecting to win the WCF should be showing out. Tough loss that one.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think this team has shown trememdous resiliency in the past two postseasons and I don't see why we couldn't beat them. People are overreacting to this loss, it's still tied, who thought this was going to be easy?? Ridiculous to hear that "if we lose G5 we lose G6", sigh. That didn't happen last year? I'm weirdly optimistic, I think we got this.

Only thing that worries me now are the injuries that are piling up.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
People are getting greedy cause we have had everything going our way this postseason. It was never going to be that way any longer.

Cletus Marley

Feb 11, 2007
Cirith Ungol
I think this team has shown trememdous resiliency in the past two postseasons and I don't see why we couldn't beat them. People are overreacting to this loss, it's still tied, who thought this was going to be easy?? Ridiculous to hear that "if we lose G5 we lose G6", sigh. That didn't happen last year? I'm weirdly optimistic, I think we got this.

It's ok to be upset over a loss. This is the way things work. We ride the highs when we are winning and we whine when we are losing. if it all ended right now I'd be happy with how we played but it doesn't mean I'm ready for it to end.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Exactly- all of a sudden we have to win every series in 6 or less or the sky is falling.

Check my other posts on playoff series history- you almost always have to go through extreme adversity in playoffs- and our biggest adversity has been that we are tied 2-2 in a series.

It ain't gonna be easy, nor should it be- period

But I agree completely that injuries may be our biggest issue going forward. Have no idea where this Johansen serious injury thing is coming from but if that were to be true we are completely screwed

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Some interesting numbers from last night via Andrew Berkshire twitter:

Final scoring chances- Nashville 26 Anaheim 22
Chances on Net- Anaheim 12 Nashville 11
High Danger Chances- Nashville 13 Anaheim 11

After the first period chances were 8-1 Ducks.

Those are some pretty amazing numbers considering how bad we were in the first period.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Yes, I understand where 303 is coming from also.

It's a long season, and a lot of us have so much invested in this since day 1. I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't be so invested if I hadn't been so involved through the possible loss of the team and the rollercoaster of that ride, and the "us against the hockey world - writers, Canadians, other fans."

And frankly the Preds are pricing a lot of people out of the arena. I don't think in 10 years it will be totally suits in the lower bowl, but it's going to be close. Raising those sections 45% in price this year (which no other arena has) , along with the damn gold saturdays that are a pain in the ass for sth, and now the non reselling of a ticket if you can't go. ( and don't bother with any "there are scalpers everywhere bs"). And just last night heard about areas in the 300s where people are leaving, and people in the club level.
Frankly I almost didn't renew my season tickets this year.

Everyone has to spend how they use their time.

And actually I only come to this for observations--- and I wish it was just that observations on the team. This back and forth of who is the bigger fan or the right kind of attitude about the playoffs or constant hammering of certain people when they post. It's become , for me, worse than those moronic talking heads on sports radio...

So yea, people get tired, people do other things. It's an observation , not an excuse for a "how can you feel this way" discussion.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Some interesting numbers from last night via Andrew Berkshire twitter:

Final scoring chances- Nashville 26 Anaheim 22
Chances on Net- Anaheim 12 Nashville 11
High Danger Chances- Nashville 13 Anaheim 11

After the first period chances were 8-1 Ducks.

Those are some pretty amazing numbers considering how bad we were in the first period.

Is the underlined accurate? Because it doesn't make sense. I would have expected something like 8-1 in only first period OR you meant to write Preds instead of Ducks? The Preds only had 2 SOG in the first...

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
at no point in this game did i feel we deserved to win this game. we almost stole it a couple of times in OT, but that's what it would have been, a complete steal.

we started this game like a bunch of rookies in their first game seven. playing scared and not to lose or make a mistake. not like a veteran team in a hugely important game 4. Add in a couple more long range unscreened goals from rinne (aren't most of those he has allowed all playoffs?) and an absolutely pitiful PP and you have the perfect recipe for defeat. Amazed it wasn't 4-0 after the first honestly.

win or lose, i've decided this is my last full time season as a fan. too frustrating and i'm too old to worry this much over a game. do wish i would at least see a banner raised opening night next year where i could semi retire in peace.

Hell, I'm only 32 and I've already started turning games off when they have stopped being fun. I get where you're at.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
For me, having kids has been the best thing to combat being a die-hard fan. Kids have a way of changing your perspective on things. I've come to realize that my teams winning or losing doesn't have a real affect on my life; it only affects your mood and then only if you let it. Sure, I still get upset when we lose, but I don't let it ruin my weekend or anything.

Jonesey

R.I.P. Steve AKA Pred303
Feb 17, 2009
Tennessee
I've deleted the posts on the speculated injuries. If a legitimate report surfaces, I'll un-delete them.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Is the underlined accurate? Because it doesn't make sense. I would have expected something like 8-1 in only first period OR you meant to write Preds instead of Ducks? The Preds only had 2 SOG in the first...

Yeah I guess I could have worded that better- IN THE FIRST PERIOD, the chances were 8-1 in favor of the Ducks.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Yeah I guess I could have worded that better- IN THE FIRST PERIOD, the chances were 8-1 in favor of the Ducks.

Got it. Basically all of what you wrote is what I have been telling people who are willing to listen: probably the most even game of the series overall. We should have been up 3-0 going into that game but are now heading back to their place tied 2-2. Hopefully we can play more like the 1st 3 games tomorrow but, assuming Rinne doesn't give up any softies, we could still play like last night and win.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
no, it's my last full full-time season. i'll still go occasionally. and i'll watch most of the games, and yes i plan on posting some. but no more season tickets o r even partials for me. lol, it certainly wasn't this game that decided it, it's just i have lots else to worry over and need to fret over this whole thing less. it's just time for the younger guys to take over the fandom.

If this team and your analysis isn't a welcome distraction from the 'lots else to worry over' then definitely let it fade. It would seem that this isn't a knee jerk reaction, not exactly something you are know for in the first place, since you didn't re-up STH when they were pushing the plans a few weeks ago.

You put in more time in analysis than I could ever imagine and for that commitment for 9 months year after year it has to be exhausting. A 3 month off season, damn those Preds for making playoffs so often and cutting into much needed down time :shakehead, just isn't enough.

I hope the break gives you time to do the things that add quality to your and your family's lives.

Still want to buy you that beer sometime.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Jesus.

On one hand I want them to bring someone up and try to win.

On the other hand I want them to just goon the **** out of the Ducks.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Well..... #1C Colin Wilson? Sissons centering Arvy and Flip? All I know is Watson and Salomaki should be on the lines matched up to Kesler and Getzlaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00