Observations XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
if everyone is healthy by the time this one starts, (and that appears iffy at best), I do admit it looks like a lineup/strategy dilemma. you have two different teams in CHI and STL. An offensive machine that's not physical that the lineup and strategy lavy used worked perfectly against. But then you get a more physical, defense first oriented STL in this round (most likely).

I think getting Wilson back against this team would be huge. he's the type of guy you expect we will need. and yes it is possible, in fact probable we see McLeod here.

Will be interesting to see what we choose to do.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
here's an observation about the 'predictiveness of Corsi':

the top 11 Corsi For teams in the league and their playoff results so far;

LAK, 55.0, missed playoffs
BOS, 54.7, down 3-2 to 22nd ranked CF team
MON, 52.5, down 3-2 to 29th ranked CF team
WAS, 51.8, leads 3-2 over 13th ranked CF team
CAR, 51.5, missed playoffs
NSH, 51.4, swept 12th ranked CF team
TBL, 51.3, missed playoffs
SJS, 51.1, down 3-2 to 18th ranked CF team
PHI, 51.1, missed playoffs
CGY, 50.6, swept by 19th ranked CF team
FLA, 50.5, missed playoffs

just shows how unpredictable this game can be, and how it doesn't make sense to try to cherry pick advanced stats. like all stats, they have to be used as a small piece of what to expect.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

just shows how unpredictable this game can be, and how it doesn't make sense to try to cherry pick advanced stats. like all stats, they have to be used as a small piece of what to expect.

Someone should main thread this. Shove it down the Corsi lovers' throaths.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke

Of course it's not predictive-- you need ADVANCED advanced stats to be all knowing. :sarcasm: I'm working on a sports psychology advanced stats rubric that combines player mental wellbeing and corsi. I call it Band (Wag-on squared) Corsi quotient and it takes into account more data on player happiness than any prior metric -- tongue size of the player's favorite musical artist (band), social media followers for his wife/ girlfriend (wag), beard/ hair on face (on) and popularity and cost of player's car (wagon.... wag-on and wagon lead to wagon squared).

Based solely on Roman Josi's love of Miley Cyrus (its true..look it up), Mike Fisher's marriage to Carrie Underwood and Ryan Ellis beard I could have easily predicted the Preds sweep but I got sidetracked sitting in the SportsPlex parking lot trying to scope out what Harry Z drove to work.

I have the Preds making it to the cup finals to face Gene Simmons/Kiss loving Sidney Crosby, Russian tv personality dating Geno Malkin and Lamborghini driving Marc Andre Fleury.

Hopefully PK still has his Bugatti Veyron.....

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Clean slate...

Am still having a hard time processing how badly we dismantled the Hawks, and yet still having a hard time expecting to win the next series, which I should, based on what I just saw....

Having doubts is normal as the team has never made it past the 2nd round. This team will have had several days off before playing St. Louis or Minnesota. Also, whatever team the Preds end up playing will in my opinion bring really good goaltending and a better overall defense than Chicago brought.

But I really like the Preds chances; no one is beating them if they can keep up the level of play they brought in the 1st round.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Someone should main thread this. Shove it down the Corsi lovers' throaths.

So we should main thread this because it is cherry-picking one stat to show how all advanced stats don't work? Sigh.

Yeah people who set their titles as Avanced Stats Denier and 'SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROATS' are the rational ones in the advanced stats discussions. :shakehead

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So we should main thread this because it is cherry-picking one stat to show how all advanced stats don't work? Sigh.

Yeah people who set their titles as Avanced Stats Denier and 'SHOVE IT DOWN THEIR THROATS' are the rational ones in the advanced stats discussions. :shakehead

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I said nothing about this...

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
@MarkLazerus: Patrick Kane said Joel Quenneville was referring to the #Preds trapping system as "Red Rover."

@MarkLazerus: Patrick Kane: "A team like that, you kind of hope they don't win. I don't know if that's necessarily the best way to watch hockey games.".

Anyone see the quotes from Kane?? What a little punk. What in the heck are they talking about?The Preds (and style of play) are being almost universally praised by the hockey world as being one of the most exciting to watch in the league...

Just take your loss like a man, dude....

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Patrick Kane, showing every day why people hate Chicago. When you get out played in every possible way, take your ass whooping and go to the house.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Anyone see the quotes from Kane?? What a little punk. What in the heck are they talking about?The Preds (and style of play) are being almost universally praised by the hockey world as being one of the most exciting to watch in the league...

Kane's behavior over the years indicates that he never mentally developed into manhood. He seems stuck in a petulant teen stage of thinking.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
At this point are we hoping that St. Louis finishes off the Wild today? If we're thinking in terms of days off before the next series starts (without consideration for on-ice matchup), I'd assume we want them to finish up today and have several days off as well, while also giving us the earliest possible start for round 2 so as to not have to be off for over a week.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
At this point are we hoping that St. Louis finishes off the Wild today? If we're thinking in terms of days off before the next series starts (without consideration for on-ice matchup), I'd assume we want them to finish up today and have several days off as well, while also giving us the earliest possible start for round 2 so as to not have to be off for over a week.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the earliest we would start if we play St Louis is Friday regardless of how long the Blues/Wild series goes. I thought I had read that the league won't start round 2 until Thursday, and STL has a building conflict that day.

PREDilection

Little Doodle
Nov 10, 2014
The euphoria of what we just did is starting to fade a little bit and my focus is shifting to the next round. Still, as I move through my daily activities and my mind isn't thinking of hockey I still catch myself having moments where it all comes flooding back in an instant and a huge mental smile spreads over my mind. Anyone else enjoying this?

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

There's your problem. He isn't a man. He is a spoiled child.

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke

Sorry I thought their ability to only score 3 goals was boring- that's the kind of team you don't like to see advancing. Red rover red rover send a spoiled brat right over

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Patrick Kane is an incredibly fantastic, and offensively gifted, wing that wants to trade chances back and forth. His comments reflect that mindset and I really don't have any problem with it. When you look at the whole quote, that mindset comes through in the disdain of the Predators defense, but also in the praise of the Predators' transition game too.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I could be wrong on this, but I think the earliest we would start if we play St Louis is Friday regardless of how long the Blues/Wild series goes. I thought I had read that the league won't start round 2 until Thursday, and STL has a building conflict that day.

Well, I'm thinking give them a bunch of days off to kill their momentum too. Hopefully pick up a few good bruises here in OT.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Patrick Kane is an incredibly fantastic, and offensively gifted, wing that wants to trade chances back and forth. His comments reflect that mindset and I really don't have any problem with it. When you look at the whole quote, that mindset comes through in the disdain of the Predators defense, but also in the praise of the Predators' transition game too.

I just don't agree with that description of our play at all.

Even if we do practice some of that, his main point was dinging us for the "excitement" level of watching our games. And he loses me there- there is no way you can watch us play and think we are a boring team to watch- absolutely no way.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The euphoria of what we just did is starting to fade a little bit and my focus is shifting to the next round. Still, as I move through my daily activities and my mind isn't thinking of hockey I still catch myself having moments where it all comes flooding back in an instant and a huge mental smile spreads over my mind. Anyone else enjoying this?

Absolutely- I am still on cloud nine and still can't stop thinking about it. I have watched the replays of the past two games about 100 times.

There are times when I think that at some point I am going to wake up and all of this was just a dream.....

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

Yes Patrick, it was funny. It was actually ****ing hilarious. You and your team had no answer at all. Thanks for confirming you were outcouched in the strategy and outexecuted on the ice. Please go **** yourself now.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
St. Louis it is. Wonder when the series will start? I'm hoping on Friday for optimal rest for Smith and Wilson to heal up.

One thing I forgot to mention on Thursday, Kevin Fiala has looked like a completely different player since late March. Does he still have defensive brain farts? Yes. But they kid has gotten really good at taking the puck off people's sticks and protecting the puck in the offensive zone.

Certainly making me eat crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad