Observations XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
That was a really good win- we needed it badly. We have now held the Oilers to 2 goals in 125 minutes- not bad at all.

Too bad the loss to Pittsburgh eliminated us from contention or else this one would have had even more meaning.....:sarcasm:

I do not think anyone said it eliminated us from contention, just that it showed us where we stand against the true elite teams. I would call this team a pretender right now. They have some strong games, but not enough to get the job done yet.

We will probably see the same result against Washington later this month.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I do not think anyone said it eliminated us from contention, just that it showed us where we stand against the true elite teams. I would call this team a pretender right now. They have some strong games, but not enough to get the job done yet.

Sorry, but reading anything regarding playoff success based on one game in early February is a fools errand. Too much can change by the time it becomes relevant, and quite frankly, if we are worried about losing to Pittsburgh(or Washington) who we could only face in the SC Finals... well, you're doing it wrong.

We beat Minnesota on the road, at the end of a 5 game road trip, without Josi. If you want to extrapolate our potential for playoff success from one game, I'd recommend using that one

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Sorry, but reading anything regarding playoff success based on one game in early February is a fools errand. Too much can change by the time it becomes relevant, and quite frankly, if we are worried about losing to Pittsburgh(or Washington) who we could only face in the SC Finals... well, you're doing it wrong.

We beat Minnesota on the road, at the end of a 5 game road trip, without Josi. If you want to extrapolate our potential for playoff success from one game, I'd recommend using that one

Stop it with your alternative facts. It doesn't fit the narrative around here.

I try to decide and can't, which is our biggest tire fire right now and it is close between the PP and the bottom pair. I think I don't breathe when Weber and Bitetto run around the defensive zone looking like my beer league team rather than a serviceable pairing.

And before someone brings up holding the Oil and McJesus off the board, that was a whole lot of Mike Fisher and Ryan Ellis. They were fantastic last night.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

You just proved the entire point of my sarcastic post- that that one Pittsburgh game is what determines whether we can beat elite teams. While completely ignoring all the recent wins we have over the top teams....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The discussion on us against the elite teams got me wondering just how we are doing:

Against the top 4 teams in the league we are 3-2-1

We are currently #12 overall in the league- against the top 11 teams we are a combined 9-7-3 (would be 8-4-3 if not for 3 freaking losses to the Hawks).

So while we certainly have not been dominant, we have at the very least held our own against the good teams in the league. And have done so while being severely shorthanded most of the season.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The discussion on us against the elite teams got me wondering just how we are doing:

We are currently #12 overall in the league- against the top 11 teams we are a combined 9-7-3 (would be 8-4-3 if not for 3 freaking losses to the Hawks).

So while we certainly have not been dominant, we have at the very least held our own against the good teams in the league. And have done so while being severely shorthanded most of the season.

And all we have to do is be 4-3 every playoff series and we keep going.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

So, basically, you're implying for some reason we achieve better results against the demonstrably better teams? Cause we better hope so - we have the 7th most difficult remaining schedule, based on opponents record.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
So, basically, you're implying for some reason we achieve better results against the demonstrably better teams? Cause we better hope so - we have the 7th most difficult remaining schedule, based on opponents record.
If we go back to either last year or the year before (hell, maybe both I don't remember) we were having a lot of success but when you looked at results you would see that we were owning lesser teams and struggling against playoff teams. Whatever the case is, the trend of playing better this season against the contenders is certainly a good sign if nothing else.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Basically I researched and posted that because of some on here who after every loss to a good team use that as evidence that we aren't good enough to compete with upper echelon teams.

9-7-3 isn't incredible or anything, but not bad considering how shorthanded we have been pretty much all year.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Basically I researched and posted that because of some on here who after every loss to a good team use that as evidence that we aren't good enough to compete with upper echelon teams.

9-7-3 isn't incredible or anything, but not bad considering how shorthanded we have been pretty much all year.

I just do not see this team winning 4 out of 7 against these teams. That's all I'm saying. I may end up being wrong, but I just have a very bad feeling with the current state of this team and their history.

- Definitely will not win 4 against the Wild, 2 maybe, but I just do not see 4. As long as Dubnyk is in net, he owns this team.
- for Chicago we will win 1, maybe 2, but they will both be home games. Nashville hasn't won in Chicago in years.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I just do not see this team winning 4 out of 7 against these teams. That's all I'm saying. I may end up being wrong, but I just have a very bad feeling with the current state of this team and their history.

- Definitely will not win 4 against the Wild, 2 maybe, but I just do not see 4. As long as Dubnyk is in net, he owns this team.
- for Chicago we will win 1, maybe 2, but they will both be home games. Nashville hasn't won in Chicago in years.

And for the millionth time, you (and others) were saying the same thing last year at this time.

No one knows what is going to happen- those teams will all be tough to beat no question. But for anyone to just outright totally dismiss any possibility of it happening is completely ridiculous.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Good thing players never get as up and down as fans.

Win the first 2 in Anaheim. WE'RE GOING TO SWEEP THEM!

Lose the next 3 including 2 at home. JUST PUT US OUT OF OUR MISERY IN GAME 6!

Win game 6 and game 7. TEAM OF DESTINY!

Lose first 2 in San Jose. Series over. Just can't compete with them.

Win next 2 in Nashville. TEAM OF DESTINY BACK ON!

Lose game 5. Just outclassed. We can't beat them.

Game 6. ARVY! TEAM OF DESTINY ONCE AGAIN!

Game 7. Bunch of loser scrubs. Didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Game 7. Bunch of loser scrubs. Didn't deserve to be in the playoffs in the first place.

LOL- that one post pretty much perfectly sums up this board in a nutshell..:nod:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
LOL- that one post pretty much perfectly sums up this board in a nutshell..:nod:

Sums up most fans in a nutshell. This is sort of what have you done for me lately type of business and by lately I mean last couple of days (unless they are on a win streak). It's like 303 said weeks ago, 1 mistake wipes out 10 instances of success emotionally at least.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Sums up most fans in a nutshell. This is sort of what have you done for me lately type of business and by lately I mean last couple of days (unless they are on a win streak). It's like 303 said weeks ago, 1 mistake wipes out 10 instances of success emotionally at least.

Yep- and although I think I have somehow developed a reputation on this board as an "optimistic" fan, if any of you knew me in real life you would see that it really isn't the case- I am a pretty pessimistic sports fan in general- always expecting the worst to happen for the teams I am passionate about.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013

Yep and then they trade the captain away...

And now people think ryjo is gonna sign for 500k more AAV compared to duchene who's a #2 center who signed his contract years ago.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yep and then they trade the captain away...

For PK Subban. They traded Shea Freakin Weber straight up for PK Freakin Subban. Not anywhere near "Team of Destiny" vs "We're OutCLASSED" in the same week. This will take at least a year.:laugh:

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Cann't understand why everyone is posting like their hair is on fire and not just enjoying the fact we are 8-2-1 in our last eleven games. and playing the best hockey of the year. Instead it reads like we are 1-8-2.

These shouldn't be the times that tries men's souls and cause everyone to fret about what we aren't or who we need desperately to trade for. These are the times to enjoy while we are playing good hockey and making a run at chasing down Chicago. These are the good times. Enjoy them while you can.

Last edited:

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
For PK Subban. They traded Shea Freakin Weber straight up for PK Freakin Subban. Not anywhere near "Team of Destiny" vs "We're OutCLASSED" in the same week. This will take at least a year.:laugh:

The point being if we are one win away why would you blow up the franchise, but the preds are trending better except the PP.

But it's done and over. Worrying about the current roster I'd how much better ask how the preds play their hand.

I said before josis' concussions makes him liable. He's not the Crosby equivalent on defense and he's one hit away from retirement. He's gonna get the skinner treatment if he hasn't already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad