Observations XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
Different take. Pekka is overplaying everything. He ventures too far out to cut down angles, lunges toward the shooter, and therefore leaves the net wide open if the puck redirects. Count how many times goals go in on him to a virtual open net. It's as if he doesn't have enough confidence to "stay home" and make the save. There's a happy medium between playing to deep in your net and doing what Pekka does. The reason he makes you so nervous is because he's "too active".

Saros on the other hand achieves that happy medium. A Saros game is less stressful because he's a better technical goalie. He cuts down angles without selling out the net to a redirect. He's faster to the butterfly and a better director of rebounds. He's at a disadvantage with shots from the point in traffic because he takes up less of the net. Pekka stops shots he never see's because he fills more real estate.

Saros rarely gives up a softie. Pekka is softie prone. His November run was Pekka-at-his-best. Very few softie's. Battled. Got many shots. Played calmer. However October & December Pekka lacks confidence and therefore overplays everything to compensate.

I know Saros's book-of-business is 5 games but he was 40-10 in MKE. I deserves a chance to be at least 1b (i.e. split time with Peks) or #1 for a stretch to see if he can give us a longer dose of what we've been seeing. There's 7 million reasons why this won't happen. We can't have $7mm sitting on the bench, and Pekka hasn't been terrible enough to focus on him as the main reason for our inconsistency.

That said, regular Pred watches know Saros appears better and gives us a better chance of winning. If Pekka can be November Pekka going forward, we'll make the playoffs. My fear is, he'll be .908ish, 2.75 GAish, and therefore we only win with consistency if the offense is humming.

Next week, Saros will likely play against Chicago Friday, then Tampa the following Thursday. The next week we play 4 games with a day off between each. They would normally be all Pekka games but would like to see Saros play in one of them. The next week we have another back-to-back, so another Saros game for sure.

So, using my formula, over the next 13 games taking us to January 20th, Pekka plays 9 and Saros plays 4. For Lavy to make a change, Pekka would have to continue his December slide and Saros would have to continue to play sub-2.0 GA hockey.

Hate to see us miss the playoffs out of deference to Pekka. He's probably the most loved Pred in our history but fans will lose their patience if we go down with the Pekka-Ship.

The goalie position on the Nashville Predators roster will be paid roughly 7.75 million regardless of who is playing both this year and next. Now that players are under contract, the team needs to win as many games as possible.

It's similar to the Penguins last year with Fleury and Murray as Murray earned the right to remain the starter in the playoffs. And Murray is pushing Fleury again this season.

If Rinne continues to decline, Saros will start pushing him. In the bold predictions thread, I thought that Nashville would make the playoffs, but Rinne would not be the starting goalie. Still believe that to be the case.

Goalie isn't the only issue for this team though.

The defensive pairings need adjustment. Josi and Ellis play well together offensively and can be good defensively, but tend to get pushed around against bigger teams.

The forwards are too often tripping over each other, passing into a worse shooting position or making too many weak passes that result in turnovers. Even when they have large amounts of zone time, they often don't get a lot of traffic.

They remind me at times of an old western where the good guys get surrounded by bad guys that are continually circling around and shooting. That's the Preds. They do not score too many dirty goals like that last goal the Kings scored last night. They are feast or famine on the great shot or a shot from a great cross ice pass that got the goalie to move.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
None? Are you saying they were all bad goals allowed by Rinne?

The first one was a complete fluke- was no one's fault.

And the last one absolutely wasn't Rinne's fault.

The first goal resulted from extremely poor back checking by the Predators. It started with 3 Predators in position to fight off 2 Kings. Kings out skated them and made the play.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
None? Are you saying they were all bad goals allowed by Rinne?

The first one was a complete fluke- was no one's fault.

And the last one absolutely wasn't Rinne's fault.

I don't mean to nitpick or argue, but every goal is someone's fault. It is either on the goalie for letting in complete softie, the skaters for allowing a player to be in a position to score, or a combination of both.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The team is inconsistent, and so is Rinne. I don't know what causes them to be, but that's the way it is. Rinne has shown flashes that he can still be elite (Nov. of this season, and last season when the whole team got on a roll). Rinne wasn't the fault we lost to the Sharks in that Game 7.

When the whole team figures it out, so will Rinne. And he will be great.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't know what is more upsetting to me- our disappointing year so far, or what the Wild are doing. Now won 10 in a row, just destroyed the Rangers at MSG. They have separated so much its going to be close to impossible for us to catch them. There is absolutely no way that roster is better than ours- you have to give BB credit.

Hopefully we can snap their winning streak Tuesday- we cannot let them waltz in here and beat us again.......

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While everyone is going back and forth on skaters vs goalie to blame, I'm sitting here pointing the finger at the coaching staff. There are times you need to move guys around to try and spark things, then there are times you need to leave things alone to get some chemistry flowing

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Really??? Really??? One game and he's out??

cheeze and crackers...

It isn't one game. It's a month on, month off routine with him this year. We need consistency in goal if we hope to go anywhere. You know it's been that way all year and not just one game.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
It isn't one game. It's a month on, month off routine with him this year. We need consistency in goal if we hope to go anywhere. You know it's been that way all year and not just one game.

This is spot on. Rinne no longer plays at a high enough level consistently to bring this team a Cup. Two months of sub-par play for every month of good play will have this team out of the playoffs.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
Oh, the overreaction on that one goal.

1st goal, Rinne had no chance.
2nd goal, well that's 100% on Rinne but it's one goal, it's not the end of the world. Other than that he played a fine game.
3rd goal, Carter with the best wrist shot in the world off the pipe.
4th goal, Setoguchi alone in front with all the time in the world.

Yes, the 2nd goal killed us and yes, it is on Rinne but it's one goal. We played well and I can't understand all these overreactions.

Rinne's positioning on the 3rd goal was not good. He shaded too much to the near post and left way too much space on the far side. Carter couldn't believe his eyes.

I agree with ILILI's point of view. Rinne is way overplaying now. That's what was so incredible about his epic run during November. He looked like a different goalie. He looked like Carey Price. Very square, very calm, very efficient movements.

I don't know why he can't see the problem, but he's gone back to his old ways and it's killing him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Just wanted to say Merry Christmas to all. We may not agree, but you all make HF boards and entertaining place, win or lose.

In the spirit of giving, I'd like to make a formal apology to Kevin Fiala. I didn't believe he was NHL ready, but in the last half a dozen games or so he has really proved me wrong and turned it up. Been our second best forward behind Arvidsson.

Last edited:

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Yoshi, you might want to edit your post. :)

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah etc. everyone.

Just want the guys to play to their fullest capabilities.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah from Adzy and Family: Adz, Mr. Adz, Jailbait, Original_Name (aka Logoon and Goalie Boy) and Jailbait Jr.

Lisa

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Adding a Merry Christmas here for those who don't read the OT thread.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Everyone needs a little during the holidays, best to our community and team

s5il8l.jpg

Someone ask if it was a comment about rich holiday food and gout, supposed to be Missile Toe.

Last edited:

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
I don't understand the Kevin Fiala love. 0 fer the last five as a -1.

7 points for the season.

I'm glad he works hards but it hasn't translated to success. He hasn't even had an Ardvisson "breakout" in his career. Just sheltered minutes and zone starts and not much to show.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't understand the Kevin Fiala love. 0 fer the last five as a -1.

7 points for the season.

I'm glad he works hards but it hasn't translated to success. He hasn't even had an Ardvisson "breakout" in his career. Just sheltered minutes and zone starts and not much to show.

I don't understand the PK love other than the sentimental factor from trading Weber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad